What if you unwittingly stole someones gig?

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
I think this happened today... I got a text from an unknown number asking if I can cover a gig at xxx bar, I happily took the gig. I pretty much nailed it, showed up on time, was polite, helpful etc etc.

I think the band leader indicated I might be either taking the gig on or getting a whole bunch of work... it was a sweet gig but I feel pretty crap... I mentioned to the band leader that I wouldn't want to take the gig from the guy and all he said was "don't worry about him". I don't even know him but he plays with 2 people that I know, I believe one of them recommended me. I can't imagine how he'd feel if he found out he'd shot himself in the foot.

I've not seen this come up on dw before... what say you?

I can understand you feeling crappy about "taking" the other guys' gig. But, you didn't get that gig by pursuing them and forcing the other guy out of the picture. THEY came to you, you did what was asked, sounds like you did it well, and now an opportunity opened up for you. You can't help the other guy dropped the ball and put himself into that situation. HE forced their hand into looking for you, so apparently he was on their replacement radar for some time.

I can understand you feeling crappy about "taking" the other guys' gig. But, you didn't get that gig by pursuing them and forcing the other guy out of the picture. THEY came to you, you did what was asked, sounds like you did it well, and now an opportunity opened up for you. You can't help the other guy dropped the ball and put himself into that situation. HE forced their hand into looking for you, so apparently he was on their replacement radar for some time.

yup I agree with what King Tiger said.

King Tiger nailed it.

I've been offered positions in existing bands for decades, and never once did I feel like I was stealing the former drummer's gig. But I would also never be so presumptuous or arrogant to suggest that a band drop their drummer in favor of me.

The band is the 'employer', they decide who works for them.

Bermuda

Sounds like that guy didnt do enough to keep his gig.. you arn't stealing anything..

They hired you not the other way around. I don't see a problem. It's up to the person running the group doing the hiring to explain to the guy why he doesn't fit anymore.

I guess Pete Best would be the one to talk to after Ringo.

Yeah and as the story goes, Keith Moon walked up to Pete Townshend during a break at some club and told him "I can play better than him." Sure enough he did and became drummer for the Who. A little different than your story, but it is survival of the fittest.
I once worked a part time gig at a radio station. (I was in between jobs) One day the station owner tells me he wants me to take over the afternoon shift. I took it, but was uneasy for a while. The guy I replaced was a nice guy with wife and 5 kids to feed. Don't know what happened to him, and I only worked the job for a couple months before a bigger job offer came along. At the time I had 3 kids and was working hard to move up the broadcast ladder. Sometimes "promotions" are mixed blessings.

Clearly the band is somehow unhappy with the previous guy.

They wouldn't be offering you the gig if they were 100% happy with the other guy.

Which leads me to believe if you don't take the gig, they will then offer it to someone else.

I've been the replacer and have also been replaced. It's just the way things go sometimes. Playing music is as much as finding a personality fit as well as a musical fit. In some bands while everyone plays great together, the personalities collide or maybe they all get along famously but the playing is not congruent.

When you're dealing with "the feels" as you do in the music business, getting all those variables right can take a bit of work.

They hired you not the other way around. I don't see a problem.

Yeah Dre, quit over-analyzing it, or I'll take YOUR gig when I get down there in January!!

Yeah Dre, quit over-analyzing it, or I'll take YOUR gig when I get down there in January!!

Ah-HAH!

catbag1.jpg

And to acshly contribute to the thread...

Dre, the gig was dropped by the previous incumbent.

It's the difference between finding $5 on the street and mugging somebody for it.

I think I could have worded this better... the DRUMMER is the one that texted me and said "hey man, I can't make this gig, can you fill in for me?", just in case that wasn't clear. The band leader liked me and offered me the work.

It's unanimously dog-eat-dog in here, I guess I know now that someone will happily take my gig, no bones about it, haha.

I think I could have worded this better... the DRUMMER is the one that texted me and said "hey man, I can't make this gig, can you fill in for me?", just in case that wasn't clear. The band leader liked me and offered me the work.
THAT'S a game changer right there. I'd only take the gig permanently with the other drummer's blessing.

It's unanimously dog-eat-dog in here, I guess I know now that someone will happily take my gig, no bones about it, haha.

Have they definitely offered you the gig full time, or just as a stand in whilst the original drummers sorts his stuff out?

I've covered off for people in the past for a few weeks or so if the original drummer needed some down time for one reason or another.

If the band have offered you the gig permanently, did the other guy go or was he pushed? If he was pushed, the first thing I'd do is find out why.

Have they definitely offered you the gig full time, or just as a stand in whilst the original drummers sorts his stuff out?

I've covered off for people in the past for a few weeks or so if the original drummer needed some down time for one reason or another.

If the band have offered you the gig permanently, did the other guy go or was he pushed? If he was pushed, the first thing I'd do is find out why.

No promises made or contracts signed, all the signs were there though, the band looked pleased with me throughout the gig, the leader praised me a bit afterwards, gave the other guy a bit of flak and asked if I could do the gig regularly, gave me a run down of events that take place at the venue, took my number and so on. The ball is in his court I guess. Depends on their relationship too, I don't really know any of the people involved so either my phone will ring or it won't.

If the drummer you are asked to replace gives you substantial referrals/fill-ins and you cant live without them, then decline.

If its a casual relationship with the drummer to be replaced and you can live without his/her referrals, then take it if you want it.

The ugliness of business.

Back