I Need to Get Re-Motivted

@David...what's the new instrument?

Decided to take up Clarinet, Larry. My wife has one from the early 80's that is considered today to be a "highly desired" model. For 26 years all I've done is look at it and wish I did something with it. Finally decided it's time. Just had it "fixed up" a little to make it a little more playable. I need any help / advantage I can get. Thanks for asking!

Oh right clarinet...I think you did mention it before come to think of it. That's about as far away from a drumset as you can possibly get right?

Have you started yet? How's it going?

Man a wind instrument. Talk about doing something that must feel totally foreign.

I can't imagine not wanting to gig. I hope I never get there. But it's great that there are SO many different instruments to get inspired by. That's the great thing about music, there is so many different instruments to choose from.

I'm having a ball with the vibes. Piano is next for me when the vibes go away.

I haven't sat down and picked up the sticks for almost three weeks. I just can't get motivated to do so. I walk by my drums on a daily basis and enjoy looking at them but just can't seem to find it in me to sit down and play.

My mind is on drumming. I check in here at DW on a daily basis. I go online to all the retail sites for gear related stuff (even though I can't afford any purchases right now). But my motivation for playing has dramatically waned.

I want to play, I think about it, but I just can't get my ass on my throne.

I think the best thing to do is buy a book that makes you play outside of your comfort zone. I find that I can get bored playing "like me," if I then have to play something unlike what I'm used to doing then suddenly I'm challenged and inspired. That's always been the best way to get myself out of a rut.

I think the best thing to do is buy a book that makes you play outside of your comfort zone. I find that I can get bored playing "like me," if I then have to play something unlike what I'm used to doing then suddenly I'm challenged and inspired. That's always been the best way to get myself out of a rut.

Now that is a brilliant idea, and it's completely the opposite of what I do, which is to curl up within my comfort zone where it's nice and safe and reassuring. But this is much, much better and this is what I'll do next time!

Mitch, I find there are times when I just have to wait until I feel like playing again, and times when I have to be a damn sight more proactive and MAKE myself play, even if I do it badly. I hope you get out of your rut soon.

Looking at snare drums I cant afford does not inspire me,Watching youtube vids of some of the top drummers always inspires me, after 2 or 3 vids I usually end up with sticks in hand behind set.

When I sit down to practice, I usually go through a simple warm-up routine to loosen me up - focusing mostly on my hands (especially during the winter months) and my shoulders. Then I do some rolls on my snare and a few basic rudiments to hone me into my kit. Then I usually get down to what I want/need to learn. If I'm feeling kind of of randy, I'll give into guilty pleasures and play what I want.

I don't have a gig to practice for at the moment (it's been about 7 weeks since I've done that).

I'll be on the lookout for the black helicopters, BTW. ;-)

No apologies necessary for the "essay." I'm dealing with everything you wrote about (except the gig part). I just need to make myself get back in the saddle and do it. I want to, but I don't want to at the same time.

I don't feel guilty - maybe that's one of the problems. I love playing my drums. It activates the pleasure center in my brain, makes me feel focused and in tune with the world around me, and I enjoy life more because of it.

The last time I played, I wasn't really bored with my practice routine. In fact, I can say that I was still enjoying it. I did decide to take a brief respite because I needed the skin on my left thumb next to the edge of the nail to heal. That made leading and playing my hi-hat really painful.

The thumb healed and I haven't done crap since.

Edit: Just another piece of information - do with it what you will, my confidence level is iffy at best right now. I fell like a real pu$$y saying that.

No? There must be a reason why you posted that you cant be a***d to sit at the kit. As I say, its a pleasure to play, dont force it, when you want to play, that is the time to do it.

No? There must be a reason why you posted that you cant be a***d to sit at the kit. As I say, its a pleasure to play, dont force it, when you want to play, that is the time to do it.

Mikel, I'm afraid you lost me with "a***d."

Is it right in my face, or am I missing something?

Everybody here has good ideas....but they require Mitch to get behind the set.

That's the stumbling block.

Dude, don't even worry about it. You'll play when you feel like playing. And if that feeling never returns, there's not much you can do about it anyway. So enjoy your life and toss the guilt.

If drumming is truly a part of you, you'll go back.

There's so many days where I have time to practice, but I just don't feel like it, so I don't.

Apologies friend, "cant be arsed" is a British term for cant be bothered. I presume you are one of our American brothers?

Yankee Doodle Dandy! Star and Stripes Forever!

After reading all the posts (thank you, everyone) I actually went out to my "studio" (it's in my garage... it is my garage, actually) and played for an hour. It's amazing how unconditioned my left hand has become. On the last tune, I completely lost the grip on my stick.

I think I do need to get into some fresh music to play. While I was playing, most of the stuff had a stale vibe to it. Most of it was for a set list of the band I was in and haven't heard from in 2 months.

Everybody here has good ideas....but they require Mitch to get behind the set.

That's the stumbling block.

Dude, don't even worry about it. You'll play when you feel like playing. And if that feeling never returns, there's not much you can do about it anyway. So enjoy your life and toss the guilt.

If drumming is truly a part of you, you'll go back.

There's so many days where I have time to practice, but I just don't feel like it, so I don't.

This is it in a nutshell!!

I feel you pain too. I am on DW everyday just nosing around. I also checkout ebay and CL for gear related stuff. I have many DVD's and books on learning related material that I watch or read from time to time but never really sit down work on all the excercises.

Sometime life just gets in the way.

Me in a nutshell -)
Got a weekly gig now and that covers most of my desire to play.

I haven't sat down and picked up the sticks for almost three weeks. I just can't get motivated to do so. I walk by my drums on a daily basis and enjoy looking at them but just can't seem to find it in me to sit down and play.

My mind is on drumming. I check in here at DW on a daily basis. I go online to all the retail sites for gear related stuff (even though I can't afford any purchases right now). But my motivation for playing has dramatically waned.

I want to play, I think about it, but I just can't get my ass on my throne.

Go on YouTube or open iTunes and listen to your favorite drummers!! Nothing motivates me more than being inspired by a great musician. Also try to set goals for yourself. This will help you practice more frequently and allow you to actually see your progress. I hope this helped!! Other posts made some great suggestions

We've definitely all been there. I've found what motivates me the most is going to shows and being a part of the crowd - not up on stage playing. It absolutely kills me watching somebody else up on stage playing drums and having fun while I'm just watching/listening.

Also, listening to drummers much better than myself really pushes me to practice and try things outside of my comfort zone. Now every time I go to play, I try to play 95% things outside of my comfort zone. Things I can't do. There's nothing better than being able to play something after putting in the work that you couldn't play before. That's what keeps me going.

Back