Pearl Fiberglass 70's/80's kit?

Phil919

Hi, I recently picked up a kit from my uncle, and did a little research on it and found out it was a vintage Pearl Fiberglass set. I have no idea what year this kit was made, although I do know it was sometime between 1970-1990. The mounted toms and floor toms are white, however the bass is much different, it's a mix of black white and red. It sounds fantastic, even if it does have coated heads on the toms (which I'm thinking about replacing once I get the money.) The snare isn't pearl either, it's a Ludwig Supraphonic snare, also made sometime in the 70's or 80's. So I just was wondering, is this kit hard to come across? Also, would it be better for me to replace the heads on the toms with clear heads? Thanks everybody in advance.

EDIT: Here are some links to pictures of the kit.
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/album.php?albumid=767

Last edited:
The acrylic/fiberglass shell thing just ..... never quite took off. Even metal shells. Almost every drummer has a metal snare (in the collection), but an "all metal kit". Not so much...​
That said, your kit would, in my opinion, be not so much "rare" as "uncommon".​
Like most all drums, head selection will greatly influence what your drums sound like. Fiberglass, like acrylic, makes for a louder (more projection), brighter drum. You can inhance that with clear heads, or tame that with coated.​
Start watching eBay, just to learn a little more about 'em. What they're worth. Options. I see at least one every month, and I'm not even looking "for" those, in particular ... just lookin'.​
Nice lookin' kit, ..... I'd do some research on that kick. The "finish" reminds me of the Ludwig "psychedelic" red. Might be worth some cash. might not. Oh ..... and welcome to Drummerworld.​

I have the old Tama '80 catalog where they listed a line known as "Fiberstar" which was a wood-fiberglass shell. This was about the same time Pearl had their fiberglass-wood shells too. I think it was a combo of the two materials, may not have been. I played a Pearl set in college and managed to make them sound pretty good. Quite impervious to weather conditions and since they let me use them all the time, I left my nice kit at home instead. I would say this particular Pearl kit was probably new in 1982 and sounded very good. A little heavy though. I put ambassadors on the whole kit top and bottom, even the bass drum, with no muffling - sounded pretty cool.

Pearl's first fiberglass drums appeared around 1971, and sometime later they revived them with a wood/fiberglass hybrid of sorts. Both were short-lived, although those original fg drums are adored by collectors and especially players, who've found new life in them with the various new heads that have emerged in the last 20 years in particular.

As for the value, that's hard to say. With the economy, and the tightness of cash at the holidays, and the general lack of knowledge about them, you might not find the right buyer. Not to mention the different drums that make up the kit. It doesn't matter how fabulous it might sound, players and collectors alike typically want the kick and toms to match, hopefully the snare too, though not as critical in most cases.

Bermuda

there's a set of these on los angeles graigslist right now, you might have a look and see if it's similar to yours

I’ve been looking for a set for some garage jammin w/friends & came across the following on my local CL. It looks Great & having always been partial to Pearl anyway as a teen frm the seventies & owning a good ole white export for atime.
I contacted the the poster & the gentleman told me it belonged to his late father & we scheduled a time to look at it tomorrow – they’re asking $800. which is fine. I was just wondering what
“Wood – Fiberglass” really means (type of wood/ply etc) & how they sound.
Any thoughts/opinions much appreciated
thanks & happy holidaze
jim

Excellent condition vintage set!! 5 piece drum set includes snare, 13" tom, 14" tom, 16" floor tom and 24" bass drum. Cymbals included rock crash, ride and high hat. All stands and throne are all included.
BEST OFFER AND SERIOUS OFFERS ONLY!!
Please email for appointment to look at kit and/or pick up. I will deliver, but depends on distance.

Attachments

• 3E63G13J45Nc5L65Eccc593f4344b8ee912b5.jpg
    3E63G13J45Nc5L65Eccc593f4344b8ee912b5.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 11,103
  • 3Ee3Ia3Md5Ga5Ke5M1cc5004c8746988f13e6.jpg
    3Ee3Ia3Md5Ga5Ke5M1cc5004c8746988f13e6.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 11,458
  • 3Ka3Id3Je5Z65E85X1cc51363103930af1c1b.jpg
    3Ka3Id3Je5Z65E85X1cc51363103930af1c1b.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 10,993
  • 3kf3L33J35K95S25M4cc54b1f408b4c75141f.jpg
    3kf3L33J35K95S25M4cc54b1f408b4c75141f.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 10,765
All the hardware is identical to the Forum series hardware too it seems- the hybrids are just fiberglass coating over a typical wood shell?

Phil919: I have a Pearl kit from the same period, but not the same model. Yours seems to be in good shape, and with a Ludwig snare to boot. The bass looks like the red oyster finish. If its not a fiberwood, its probably from the Thunderking series. I've gotten mine to sound good on all types of heads over the years. So it all depends on what you want. I don't think it is worth much to sell, so keep it at home and enjoy it. They are nice drums.

This thread is 2 years old,and the kit at the top is not same one as jimbojam is talking about.The kit at the top has the acro snare,not this one.

So..jimbojam...those are nice drums,probably mid to late 70's vintage mid level Pearls.They are basily fiberglass over a thin wood shell luan I think.The're nice drums but not 800 nice.They aren't common but not rare either.That shell design just wasn't very popular.I would say 3-400 if I was completely in love with them,and they were in very good condition.

People just ask crazy money for drums sometimes because that's what they paid for them,or they think that the're rare...or the're just greedy.

Steve B

Back