My little Sonor (Rack, A Customs, the works) and my drumming history.

Naigewron

Platinum Member
Setup diagram:

Sonor.jpg

Pictures:
At a gig with my band Lucky Lew here in Bergen, Norway on Friday, December 5, 2008

Audience view:
Kit_Left.jpg

Kit_Right.jpg

Kit_Front_01.jpg

Kit_Front_02.jpg

Driver's seat (the china didn't make it in, it seems):
Kit_Driver_01.jpg

Live pics!
Kit_Artsy_01.jpg

Photo credit: Chris Aadland

Band_02.jpg

Photo credit: My sister

Band_01.jpg

Photo credit: My sister

Eskil_01.jpg

Photo credit: Maja Markegård

Eskil_02.jpg

A couple of pics of the other band members ;)
Svein_Haavard_01.jpg

Haavard_Katrine_01.jpg

Complete specs:

Kit
- Sonor Force 3005
- Rack toms: 10x9, 12x10
- Floor tom: 16x16
- Snare: 14x5.5
- Kick: 22x17.5
- Finish: Autumn High Gloss

Cymbals
- Hi hats: 14" Zildjian A Custom
- Ride: 20" Zildjian A Custom
- Crash 1: 16" Zildjian A Custom
- Crash 2: 18" Zildjian A Custom Medium
- China: 18" Wuhan Lion
- Splash: 10" Zildjian A Custom

Hardware
- Rack: Gibraltar GRS-350C (front rack with side wings)
- Normal clamps: Gibraltar GRSMC x6
- Vertical tube clamps: Gibraltar SC-RBA x2
- Cymbal booms: Gibraltar SCLBBT x5
- Snare stand: Gibraltar GI-9606
- Seat: Gibraltar 9608 Round Vinyl
- Hihat stand: Pearl H-2000 "Eliminator"
- Pedals: Pearl Eliminator P-2002C
- Tom holders: Sonor STH 474 x2

Sticks and such
- Main sticks: Regal Tip 5B Wide
- Rods: Regal Tip Blasticks and Pro-Mark Hot Rods

Heads
- Snare batter: Remo Emperor-X
- Snare reso: Evans Hazy 300
- Tom batters: Evans G2 Coated
- Tom resos: Evans G1 Clear
- Kick batter: Evans EMAD Clear
- Kick reso: Evans EQ3 Black (ported)

My drum timeline:

Appr. 1989 - 1993: Remo Weather King
I got a beat-up black Remo Weather King (at least that's what I remember the badge saying) at the age of about 9 or 10 (which would make it around 1989 or 1990). I had busted up every pot and pan around the house at that point, and I'd completely mangled a little plastic kids drum kit, so my parents definitely knew I was interested in playing.

I knew absolutely nothing about sizes, woods, construction or anything like that (I don't think I was even aware that there were different brands or ways of setting up a kit), but as far as I can guesstimate, it had 12", 13" and 16" toms, a 20" kick and a 14" snare. I also got a cheap cymbal set consisting of hihats, a ride and a crash (and by cheap, I mean CHEAP). Of course, again, I knew nothing about brands or quality differences, so I was over the moon.

The heads that came with the kit had probably never been changed (and I certainly didn't know I was supposed to change them every now and then), and the kit was probably from the late 70's or early 80's. I also knew nothing about tuning, so it must have sounded absolutely horrible.

The kit was sold around 1993 due to my declining interest in playing. I played drums with a band at school for another year or so before finally giving up and picking up the guitar instead.

I know pictures of this monstrosity exist in a family photo album somewhere. I'll try to scan them and post them at some point :)

2002 - 2003: Roland TD-8
This was not my kit, it belonged to my college roommate. He was also a drummer, and wanted something he could play in the apartment we shared, so he bought a used Roland TD-8. A couple of months later, I was playing it more than he was, and I was a drummer again, after an 8 year hiatus.

2004 - 2005: Roland TD-6K
I moved from Norway to Australia to study and work in 2004, and quickly bought a drum kit. At this point, I had no plans of joining a band, so a Roland TD-6K kit suited me nicely. Playing along to CD's was the order of the day for about a year.

2005 - 2006: Mapex M:
During my studies, I ran into a fellow musician, and along with another mate of his and one of his ex-bandmates, we started a coverband. Playing an electronic kit in a band was out of the question, so I sold my Roland and bought a Mapex M Maple/Basswood (this was before the M Birch kits). Ride and hihats were Zildjian ZXT's, while the splashes, crashes and china were Meinl Amuns and a Byzance. An excellent kit, I was sad to have to sell it when I moved back to Norway in late 2006.

Pics:
From my coverband's farewell show, in November 2006:
Kit01.jpg

Kit02.jpg

Band03.jpg

A blurry driver's seat picture from an earlier gig (March 2006):
driver01.jpg

In the studio recording a demo with my coverband (goto http://www.myspace.com/naigewron to hear how that turned out):
me_studio.jpg

2007 - present: Sonor Force 3005
Upon returning home to Norway from my years in Australia there was never any doubt about buying another kit. I knew I wanted a rack and A Customs, and I knew what sizes I wanted, so it was just a matter of finding the brand and model. The Sonor Force 3005 won out (it had a standard setup with the sizes I wanted, and the 3007 was just coming out, so I got a great deal on the 3005).

2008 - present: Pearl Rhythm Traveler Gig:
My practise kit at home. This version of the Rhythm Traveler is very small (the "floor tom" is only 12"), so it fits nicely into a corner. The plan is to expand this with triggers and e-cymbals to make it into a "proper" practice kit, but as it stands it suits me well enough as a "kit simulator", so to speak :)

Picture and setup diagram (as close as I could make it, at least)
Kit_Practice_01.jpg

Pearl.jpg

Last edited:
Re: My Sonor (Rack, A Customs, the works) and my drum kit history

very nice set, my next kit will probably be a sonor 3007 in autmn fade, i just love sonors.

Very nice setup! I am going to have a-customs or K custom on my new kit as well.

I have decided on that Gibraltar rack as well, I like the way it curves inward, better placement than a straight rack. It looks cool as well.

Wow! I feel like I know your life story now. : ) In a good way. Lots of nice gear.

Now here's a quality post. Very nice kit. Sonor rules.

Too true, I think you've covered every base there bud. Awesome kit, good playing (I just added you to myspace),

Friend request approved :)

Thanks for the kind words! My (new) band and I are hopefully headed to the US (from Norway) next spring to record our second album (well, I wasn't with them for the first one), so hopefully I'll have lots more for everyone to listen to next year.

Extremely classy, I'm digging it. It's so warm and inviting.

Good to hear you play my favorite "CAKE" song.
The lyrics ring true to a couple of gf's. :))

Good to hear you play my favorite "CAKE" song.
The lyrics ring true to a couple of gf's. :))

Gotta love cake ;-)

Check the link in my signature for more of my music (new tracks from my current band).

nice kit man. i really like the sonor force 3005!

i got a question about the hh-484 hi-hat stand.. is the tripod rotatable??
thanks

nice kit man. i really like the sonor force 3005!

i got a question about the hh-484 hi-hat stand.. is the tripod rotatable??
thanks

So sorry, mate, I forgot to reply to your question.

Yes it is rotatable :)

Re: My Sonor (New on-stage and live pics Dec. 10, 2008) and my drumming history.

Bump!

New and improved kit pics added, along with pictures from our last show!

Re: My Sonor (New on-stage and live pics Dec. 10, 2008) and my drumming history.

Eskil_01.jpg

shiit, i love that pic

Great info man, thanks for sharing!!

Your kit setup is very Daniel Adair inspired... Did you get setup cues from his own rig?

Your kit setup is very Daniel Adair inspired... Did you get setup cues from his own rig?

You're absolutely right, I took a lot of cues from Daniel Adair. I started playing offset toms after seeing Jeremy Colson play, but it was after seeing Daniel Adair's kit that the whole setup clicked for me. I've been playing this setup, with very little variation, for a few years now, and it really works perfectly for me.

For those who don't know Daniel Adair's kit:
daniel_drums.jpg

Last edited:

Just got hold of another picture from the show. Doesn't show much of the kit, but I think it's an awesome shot!

Kit_Artsy_01.jpg

Photo credit: Chris Aadland

Cool man.. Yup, I play a setup very similar to Dan Adair's as well... It's really a 5-pc setup with just the toms offset towards the left... I think it's a better reach to the Ride cymbal.

I find it very comfortable as well.

First post updated with picture of the practice kit and a few new live pictures.

Back