Bare Feet, Socks or Shoes?

Re: Playing with shoes on...

I usually wear shoes.

My running shoes usually...

But, even though that is my preference, sometimes, I'll play bare sock.

When I did a showcase a couple of months ago, I was playing on a brand new kit... the pedals were pretty foreign to me. I tried it out for a minute... and found that bare sock on that pedal felt better.

About 5 years ago, I used to play in a gritty rock "biker" type band.... back then, I used to play with Snap-on workboots. (Snap-on is a brand name if any one isn't familliar with it)

They were pretty heavy, but after months of playing with them on I was pretty used to it. I could play pretty fast double bass, although not as fast as without and it certainly took more energy... stamina would have benefitted if I had played with shoes on...

Memories....

No more work boots though. Honest.

;-)

I wear running shoes as well when I practice and play. I did notice that Neil Peart and Steve Smith wear dancing shoes which is something that Freddy Gruber apparently taught them.

Dave Lemonds said:
I like wearing wrestling shoes the best. Rubber soles, no heal, just feels more natural for me.

I second that.I feel comfy too in wrestling shoes.

tentpole said:
why?........................................................

Just kidding. Actually I feel very awkward playing without shoes on. Frankly the best shoes for me are laced dress shoes. I love how a leather sole slides on pedals. I grew up playing in a lot of bands for formal gigs like weddings, etc. and had to wear a tux and dress shoes. I guess it's somewhat a matter of what you get used to. Even now playing bar gigs whether it's rock, jazz, etc. I still prefer to wear a "dress shoe".

I used to play barefoot years ago but I was tired of injuring myself and answering people's questions about playing barefoot. Seriously, everyone had to ask me about it. I liked the feel and control of it but as my equipment changed, the blood shed increased. Playing in shoes is no prob for me but they have to be a thin, light, and grippy shoe, no boots or bulky sports shoes.

boomboomda said:
I second that.I feel comfy too in wrestling shoes.

My guitarist and bassit were telling me about wrestling shoes. I guess my guitarist has a pair and he thought they'd be great for double bass (and my bassist tried them).

I never bothered with them. I really doubt it'd affect my playing so drastically that it matters. Plus, my shoes are comfy. :)

for about 9 years i played with just socks on, or even just went bare foot. Peart explains on his "work in progress" video how he plays with dancing shoes/slippers. recently i found i can get a much better (even) double bass triplet feel or even just single rolls. I think to each his own when it comes to this. I used to view playing with shoes on like playing with gloves, but recently had a change of heart

I have these socks that have no treads to i can do heel toe and not hurt my big toe.
Socks only makes my nails bleed

i've gotten used to playing with etnies (skate shoe brand) on...then again they are one of the most comfortable shoes i've ever had, i can do my triplets in them so i'm happy...i cwcan't play barefoot...pedals stick to my feets.

I like anything pretty much.I like wearing shoes the most though.It just feels like I have more control.I play heel down so that might be something.

I prefer with no shoes I get a better feel of the pedal + it's easier for me to do the heel toe without shoes......I don't need to twist my leg to get the heel in there

I prefer playing barefoot, but I like NJs idea of using rock-climbing shoes. I don't gig yet, though, and thankfully there's no broken glass in my familyroom.

-Michael

I don't like playing barefoot. I use the slide alot and whenever i'm barefoot...I usually chip a toenail off from slamming it into the chain : (

With shoes on I play better and with more confidence.

I tried playing barefoot. It was really awkward.

I wonder if I just invested a couple weeks with it if it would end up being better.

Check this out. This are my special drumming shoes. I use them to play. They are very very thin and let you slide just perfectly. The pic is blurry but you can see what I'm talking about, and these shoes are very cheap also!

Attachments

• DRUMMING SHOES.JPG
    DRUMMING SHOES.JPG
    17.4 KB · Views: 440

I used to play with sneakers then switched to socks because when I praticed I never really wear shoes in my house. I recently just started experimenting with going barefoot and found I have even better control and feel, but still not so sure I want to play barefoot. I am looking for a very light thin shoe now though, because socks tend to make my feet slide. It comes down to what you really prefer.

I can't stand not playing with shoes on, never could, guess it's a feel thing. It's all what you get used to I guess, I mean look at Terry Bozzio, he plays amazing stuff with his feet but he has always worn big bulky boots, once you get used to something, its hard to change.

Back