John Bonham

NUTHA JASON said:
brilliant. when i get home i'm going to listen and read.

i wish more posts in the drummers sections were about transcripts and methods and tuning and not so much about how much a drummer is the best or fastest. well done coomanchu.
j
Hey thanks - anything you can suggest will be cool. Yeah, I agree about that fastest thing. It really gets out of control sometimes. I really don't even think the players we idolize worry too much about it themselves.

Me too on the other topic: I'm hoping to see alot more methods and transcripts because it's really cool to see what other people play and what other people think other people play. Plus I know I have mistakes all over in my few transcriptions, so if people can tear them apart, we'll all learn something.

That song is a nightmare but I heard a little story that they did all that on purpose to prevent people from covering it. Each and every time I always get that break wrong, and I never quite finish on the right beat. In the end I usually end up hitting the 'next track' button and playing along to Rock And Roll baby!

Mediocrefunkybeat said:
That song is a nightmare but I heard a little story that they did all that on purpose to prevent people from covering it. Each and every time I always get that break wrong, and I never quite finish on the right beat. In the end I usually end up hitting the 'next track' button and playing along to Rock And Roll baby!

If you go to Drumtech they'll make you play it in Live Performance week 10.. :)

IF I go to DrumTech. Actually Finn... that's not a bad idea. Pity I'm not a good enough player. Heh. Week ten? What's week thirty?

NUTHA JASON said:
bonham battles to find his entry during recording of black dog...if you listen very carefully he clicks a stick just before each entry during plant's singing to give JPJ and JP a count in...(typical zep it is a count in of only one but it still is a clue).

j

Ps i learned it by sheer will and hearing it hundreds of times.

o man....i hate playing to this song....when im not sitting behind the drumset and at my desk at the computer and im listening to it im jamming on the table with my hands to it and seem to get it fine but behind the drum set i just cant....kinda weird

and garunteed....everyone who reads this part of the thread will turn on black dog and listen to it just like im doing now

Drumming seems alot easier until you get behind the kit. I can play anything when im not around a kit. When i actually get behind a kit well thats a different story.

bonham990 said:
Drumming seems alot easier until you get behind the kit. I can play anything when im not around a kit. When i actually get behind a kit well thats a different story.

ya but i mostly mean the timing of the drums in black dog...its really tricky

When I'm playing listening to Black Dog, I can play it, I need those cues. Sit me behind a kit and say "play Black Dog" and I can't do it, haha. Maybe if the guitarist in my band could manage it, or if they wanted to play it, which they won't.

The start of Rock and Roll is damn hard though. Fool in the Rain I can do. That's a fun song.

For learning certain parts of songs, I use a cheap MP3 player. It has a rate (speed) option, AND it you can go to a certain song, set A-B, press a button at the start of the bit you want to learn, then press again at the end. Just repeats the section over and over. For playing to songs I use a CD player (with headphones & power adapter) though, the MP3 player will eat up the batteries otherwise.

Very cool drum outtakes stagecustom. I really enjoyed listening to them. If only I could get a drum sound like that in the studio! Bonzo's drum sound is so incredible, it's amazing that with all of this digital technology out there today people are still trying to get that drum sound from almost thirty years ago.

Chip said:
For learning certain parts of songs, I use a cheap MP3 player. It has a rate (speed) option, AND it you can go to a certain song, set A-B, press a button at the start of the bit you want to learn, then press again at the end. Just repeats the section over and over. For playing to songs I use a CD player (with headphones & power adapter) though, the MP3 player will eat up the batteries otherwise.
Does anyone like to use Transcribe? I use it and I think it's great. You can slow things down, speed them up, select sections of a tune to auto repeat. You can export any speed mods or selections to a separate file then burn that to a CD or keep as an MP3 (helpul if you want to play a tune at 90% tempo). It's a very solid application written by a British guitar player, Andy Robinson. It's shareware, but well worth the measly registration price. It runs on Linux, Mac, and Windows. I think it's the best tool out there for transcritions by ear: http://www.seventhstring.com/

Black Dog - I actually have not looked too closely at that one, but I will. I read in Thunder of Drums that Jones said Bohnam had trouble with that tune. What was trouble for Bonham? The band had to play it twice before he got it?

I've never caught those stick clicks - I gotta hear than now! :)

Last edited:
Black Dog - I actually have not looked too closely at that one, but I will. I read in Thunder of Drums that Jones said Bohnam had trouble with that tune. What was trouble for Bonham? The band had to play it twice before he got it?

the trouble is that plant sings each stanza in free time blues style and then the band has to come in, all together and all at the same speed. if you listen very carefully you will notice the rest between plan'ts last word and the entry grows gradually shorter...

Hey, hey, mama, said the way you move
Gonna make you sweat, gonna make you groove
.... (longest gap and then in come the drums and guitars)

Ah, ah, child, way you shake that thing
Gonna make you burn, gonna make you sting...
(medium gap)

Hey, hey, baby, when you walk that way
Watch your honey drip, can't keep away
.... (almost no gap)

and buried in the last words each time you will hear a stick click.
j

The hardest part is where the guitar kinda goes off on a tangent, leaving the drums to play at the same tempo. It's a fun, challenging song.

NUTHA JASON said:
the trouble is that plant sings each stanza in free time blues style and then the band has to come in, all together and all at the same speed. if you listen very carefully you will notice the rest between plan'ts last word and the entry grows gradually shorter...

Hey, hey, mama, said the way you move
Gonna make you sweat, gonna make you groove
.... (longest gap and then in come the drums and guitars)

Ah, ah, child, way you shake that thing
Gonna make you burn, gonna make you sting...
(medium gap)

Hey, hey, baby, when you walk that way
Watch your honey drip, can't keep away
.... (almost no gap)

and buried in the last words each time you will hear a stick click.
j

Gotcha - yep, I do hear the click. Wild.

Do you think that anyone would have had come into the session with a chart of at least the form for this tune or do you think it just evolved? It seems like it would be a real bear to talk someone down on this tune without a piece of paper to at least serve as a road map.

i just recorded a video of me playing this song...ill get it up on youtube tomorrow. A couple parts i messed up with...mostly those hard timing parts.

Back