For all you jazzers!

Thanks Bos, I've been doing the exercises for about two hours now.

Last edited:
Thanks for the post, B! I'll def practice this and use it in a jazz - dixieland band I was asked to join.

I have been working on it for about 3/4 of an hour, can't wait to get the polyrhythm one down, just got the feet and hands done seperatly, now to go together. Kind of cool that i can do both, but have no clue what it will sound like when it's put together! What a genius

Wow...I'll have to try this page out sometime soon!

In college, the thing to do was to take the Syncopation exercises and play them on the snare, and put the bass drum on all of the triplet subdivisions you DIDN'T play on the snare. THAT will blow your mind, and you'll come up with some pretty sweet licks as well as better facility behind the kit. Exercise 3 was my favorite, and I STILL draw from that pool of licks today...

Wow...I'll have to try this page out sometime soon!

In college, the thing to do was to take the Syncopation exercises and play them on the snare, and put the bass drum on all of the triplet subdivisions you DIDN'T play on the snare. THAT will blow your mind, and you'll come up with some pretty sweet licks as well as better facility behind the kit. Exercise 3 was my favorite, and I STILL draw from that pool of licks today...

'm just staring to get into the most basic of things, playing say, a parididdlediddle, but instead of playing with right hand on ride, left on snare, fill in the bass drum for left hand. Such basic stuff, just play same thing with different limb, and the difference is immense!

does anyone know of any recording he has done this on? Not albums, just the song itself? Because i think i have it down, but it doesn't sound as great as i thought. Really, it doesn't sound complicated at all. My camara isn't working at the moment so I can't post a video...?I know the site says its on the village vanguard with sonny rollins, but i can't listen to any of the tracks

does anyone know of any recording he has done this on? Not albums, just the song itself? Because i think i have it down, but it doesn't sound as great as i thought. Really, it doesn't sound complicated at all. My camara isn't working at the moment so I can't post a video...?I know the site says its on the village vanguard with sonny rollins, but i can't listen to any of the tracks

Elvin did this rolling-triplet type of thing very frequently. It is easier to transcribe on some of the slower tempo pieces he performed on with the John Coltrane Quartet, such as Lonnie's Lament. The playing is pretty transparent in terms of recording clarity. You can hear it on the link below, just remember there is an open section at the beginning before the time playing starts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Bxjzdm4q_g&feature=PlayList&p=9F0B253B524E578B&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=30

If you liked this, you should check out Jack DeJohnette's playing.

Elvin did this rolling-triplet type of thing very frequently. It is easier to transcribe on some of the slower tempo pieces he performed on with the John Coltrane Quartet, such as Lonnie's Lament. The playing is pretty transparent in terms of recording clarity. You can hear it on the link below, just remember there is an open section at the beginning before the time playing starts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Bxjzdm4q_g&feature=PlayList&p=9F0B253B524E578B&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=30

If you liked this, you should check out Jack DeJohnette's playing.

really liked that one,. such perfect accompaniment, thanks!

Those are pretty much the exact exercises Soph used to have me work on. I've got the lesson material in a box somewhere. I'll post his take on it if I can find it.

Excellent link, thanks. In regards to the offset quarter note triplet snare/bass drum 2-over-three polyrhythm:

Once you get it down, play a waltz ride pattern to match the bass drum- that is, so the "skip" beat lines up with the bass drum. This keeps in the spirit of staying "Elvin-ey", in fact, might make it more so.

One of my favorite Elvin moments is on Live in Birdland. On Afro-Blue, which is a waltz, he's coming out of the piano solo building into the sax solo, and he's playing alternating triplets between bass drum and snare drum to a great climax. Check it out.

this is becoming a good pag e to check out stuff that elvin used to do! If you could post that stuff average it would be brilliant, and i'll try and check out that tune Eric!

Excellent link, thanks. In regards to the offset quarter note triplet snare/bass drum 2-over-three polyrhythm:

Once you get it down, play a waltz ride pattern to match the bass drum- that is, so the "skip" beat lines up with the bass drum. This keeps in the spirit of staying "Elvin-ey", in fact, might make it more so.

One of my favorite Elvin moments is on Live in Birdland. On Afro-Blue, which is a waltz, he's coming out of the piano solo building into the sax solo, and he's playing alternating triplets between bass drum and snare drum to a great climax. Check it out.

are you talking about playing quarter notes?

Back