Ludwig Classic Maples / Paiste Giant Beats / DW

Signals

I've been putting this together for a while -- got the snare first, then the cymbals, stands and finally the kit. I'd love to take some outdoor pics, but it's too cold.

I was a bit concerned about the QC and shells being out of round as I've read about some of these issues on other forums. However, I was pleasantly surprised to discover that this kit is absolutely flawless in every detail, and the shells are one of the most in-round kits I've owned, and I've owned many. In fact, only the bass if off -- by 1/16th of an inch, as measured from lug to lug -- these drums are about as perfect as you can get.

I was supposed to get vintage-style T-rods for the bass, but there was a mix-up. However, they're on the way...

SPECS:
Ludwig Classic Maple in Natural finish

13x9, 16x16 - coated Emperors over coated Ambassadors

24x14 - Evans EMAD / stock reso

Ludwig Supraphonic LM402 - coated Emperor / stock reso

DW 9000 Hardware (3000 HH)

Paiste Giant Beats: 15" Hats, 18 & 20 multis, 24" Ride

Pearl pedal, Roc-N-Soc Nitro throne

Attachments

• 1 (Medium).JPG
    1 (Medium).JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 1,882
  • 2 (Medium).JPG
    2 (Medium).JPG
    88.9 KB · Views: 1,843
  • 3 (Medium).JPG
    3 (Medium).JPG
    119 KB · Views: 1,864
  • 4 (Medium).JPG
    4 (Medium).JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 1,822
  • 5 (Medium).JPG
    5 (Medium).JPG
    108.1 KB · Views: 2,010
  • 6 (Medium).JPG
    6 (Medium).JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 1,807
  • 7 (Medium).JPG
    7 (Medium).JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 1,778
  • 8 (Medium).JPG
    8 (Medium).JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 1,758
  • 9 (Medium).JPG
    9 (Medium).JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 1,781
  • 10 (Medium).JPG
    10 (Medium).JPG
    120.6 KB · Views: 2,561
  • 11 (Medium).JPG
    11 (Medium).JPG
    121.8 KB · Views: 1,731
  • 12 (Medium).JPG
    12 (Medium).JPG
    133.5 KB · Views: 2,128
  • 13 (Medium).JPG
    13 (Medium).JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 1,804
  • 14 (Medium).JPG
    14 (Medium).JPG
    124.7 KB · Views: 3,059
  • 15 (Medium).JPG
    15 (Medium).JPG
    138 KB · Views: 1,690
  • 16 (Medium).JPG
    16 (Medium).JPG
    157.2 KB · Views: 1,759
  • 17 (Medium).JPG
    17 (Medium).JPG
    103.7 KB · Views: 1,766
  • 18 (Medium).JPG
    18 (Medium).JPG
    129.3 KB · Views: 3,076
  • 19 (Medium).JPG
    19 (Medium).JPG
    126.5 KB · Views: 4,417
  • 20 (Medium).JPG
    20 (Medium).JPG
    267.9 KB · Views: 1,745
Love the finish, love the sizes but don't like the hole in the bass drum for the mount. I know the jury is still out on the sound etc but would love to see them without the mount. But I would not push them aside. Great looking kit.

Thanks all!

...about that bass mount: I know whatcha mean, but without it the rack tom would be too far to the left for me (I don't like floating it off a cymbal stand, so a snare stand would have been used).

Thanks all!

...about that bass mount: I know whatcha mean, but without it the rack tom would be too far to the left for me (I don't like floating it off a cymbal stand, so a snare stand would have been used).

Understood. I'm looking for cash now. How long was your wait?

I got my CM's last summer, and I am sure you will love them. The BD mount is fine - I have one too. I am a structural engineer and I have some background in structural dynamics and I would have to say that any argument that the mount hurts the sound is pretty weak. Unless you "listen" to it with an oscilloscope you would never notice anything. My only worry is that if somebody at a bar I am playing at runs into the rack tom it would damage the kick......be careful and congrats!!!

PS - I have the curved spurs too and I love them.

Beautiful kit, man! And I know first-hand what a great-sounding set of drums those are. Congrats!

Understood. I'm looking for cash now. How long was your wait?

Well, I placed a custom order originally, but the wait was going to be six months -- I guess Ludwig is wayyy backed-up. So I checked around eBay and such and seen this kit at Memphis Drum Shop (they have several), so I bought 'em. They were a bit more than I wanted to pay, and the configuration isn't quite what I wanted (I would have ordered the Keystone floor tom mounts), but hey, no wait, and it's a great kit!

The dumb thing is that I just bought a brand-new Gretsch renown kit only 2 weeks earlier -- have it on eBay now -- right here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gretsch-Ren...554?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c20230a22.

Congrats to you, great kit ... I love mine

Luwig100FlameFrame.jpg

"Joe Morello" silver sparkle

14x22 bass (no issue for me with tom mounted on the bass drum)

16x16 floor tom

9x13 rack tom

6.5x14 LM-403 maple snare

7.5x12 Premier Modern Classic birch side snare

Great kit that will last you a lifetime ... mine originally came from MDS too
but I got it used from Bill Marshall who played with Hank Williams Jr for 23 years.

Love the finish, love the sizes but don't like the hole in the bass drum for the mount. I know the jury is still out on the sound etc but would love to see them without the mount. But I would not push them aside. Great looking kit.
My Jury is in and the mount is cool!
There is nothing wrong with hanging a tom from a bass drum on a "Classic Maple" kit.
I love that kit!
I would have ordered the bass drum with a Rail mount and a classic ride cymbal mount too!

How could any living, breathing human being not be inspired by that kit? I swear, Ludwig could quintuple sales by simply putting that kit in the middle of Times Square in NYC.

Could you divulge price range of what the shells cost? Just curious. Have fun.

WOW, simple, solid looking, great finish, great setup. Good luck and dont scratch it!

Beautiful kit man! If you take the black rubber gaskets off of the 402 and replace the nylon strap with Ludwig snare cord.....WOW! What a difference and you'll have the classic sound of the Ludwig supraphonic.

Beautiful kit and one of my favorite finishes!! If I ever get another kit, it might be this finish.

Congrats

Great looking blond kit, very classy (I like the kit your selling too!). I've got one of those low ride boom stands too. Yours is the only other one I've seen in a forum pic. Does MDS put their logo on drum heads or do the manufactures apply the logo for them?

Back