acrolite??

blackbyrd

today i got my hands on what appears to be a ludwig acrolite shell..> (given to me for taking it off of someones hands)

anyone know of how i can find out how old it is? the numbers suggest the 1960"s but the badge suggests the 1970"s any suggestions? (pics when i get her going again)

I received this Acrolite - 404 - (eBay purchase) yesterday - case, stand, practice pad & JOJO(?) 2B sticks. From what I've been able to find - it's a 1978-79 drum. The seven digit serial numbers started about 71-72. Ludwig started powder coating Acrolite shells in the mid 80's (Rob Cook's The Ludwig Book) & in 93 Acrolites finish was changed to the Black Sparkly finish (Galaxy Finish).

Attachments

• IMG_6606 (Large).JPG
    IMG_6606 (Large).JPG
    126.1 KB · Views: 280
  • IMG_6487 (Large).JPG
    IMG_6487 (Large).JPG
    116.4 KB · Views: 267
  • Serial # 3117539 LUDWIG ACROLITE7 (Large).JPG
    Serial # 3117539 LUDWIG ACROLITE7 (Large).JPG
    103.7 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:
Kona, a pic of the badge will be of a better help ;-)

Updated on my post. It looks like someone deliberately scratched the SN. It's still there and in not bad condition - 7 digit = started that 71-72. The B/O badges stayed pointed on the corners until Ludwig Rounded them (like mine) around 79. I don't know if mine is Powder Coated or not? If it is then it's at least a mid-80's drum, not late 70's like it was advertised. No matter to me........it's one very nice sounding drum. I played it last night with my 58 Gretsch kit and I'm very happy with it as is. I tuned the heads high and almost the same pitch on both - maybe a little tighter on the reso, tightened the snares then backed them off to get a nice fat sound = beauty!

thanks for the pics Kona. looking very similar to mine. Got to get some tension rods, head, snare rods and top hoop ... probably have to sit for a month till the funds are available

Back