Audition tomorrow at 6PM PST

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Ever get the feeling you've over-prepared for an audition? I do. I was given rather vague instructions on what my auditioners would like to see tomorrow: just burn right off the bat, lots of Buddy Rich stuff, maybe throw in some marching chops for good measure.

So for the last few days I think I've been preparing something, but I've really just been playing and keeping loose. This is one of those instances where I tell myself, now just 18 hours away from this audition, that if I don't have it by now, I'm not going to get it in 18 hours. Ever feel this way?

What I think I'll do tonight and most of the day tomorrow is just relax and maybe listen to some Enya or something to get my mind off of Buddy and Gene (which is where I've been living for the last 72 hours). I'm at work during the day and the nice thing is I don't have to go anywhere for the audition, I'll already be there. I have the feeling that, other than the one talent booking guy, no one in there will have a clue as to how technically difficult anything I play will be, so maybe I'll lighten up and go for my over-exaggerated Sing Sing Sing framework and be entertaining, friendly, and eager to try whatever they suggest during my (hopefully) 10-minute slot.

I wish I had auditions where they asked for specific stuff beforehand. Getting vague direction is almost just as bad as no direction. I'm trying to allow my pride in being a jazzer to overcome the fact that I'll be scared to death just making things up ;)

So: Copeland snare: check. Cymbals: check. Iron Cobra Jr.: Check. Stick bag: check. Confidence: I'll let you know.

You'll do just fine bro, you're no spring chicken. I have a gig Saturday and haven't listened to any of the music since last week. I think I have half of the set down but will cram it tomorrow so it's fresh as can be.

Hmmm... "Enya"..."Buddy Rich"...Sounds like your already in a pretty good mind set.

It would be nice to have a clue what theyre looking for ahead of time so as not to go into it completely blind. :eek:

I wouldnt imagine you need to go in there shredding all your best stuff.
Probably just keep it relatively simple and solid while throwing in some nice tasty accents.

Dunno though, Its probably gonna be a bit of a try to feel them out while youre doing the audition situation.

Just stay positive and stay you. You'll do fine.

As the requirements are vague, the audition is essentially a two way interview. Be yourself, that way, you'll stand the best chance of being accepted for a role you'll actually fit in with. Just keep it simple, but make sure there's the occasional lick in there that hints at a higher ability. Good luck Buddy!

You got this. Break a leg!

I'm sure that you will get the gig. From what I've seen of your playing you are a very good drummer. I think that any band would be happy to have you sitting behind the kit.

Good luck Bo... try to imagine you already got it...and your just going over to practice with for the first time... I'm sure you'll do great!!! Are you taking the Bub's or the Bop or using a set there?

Despite your doubts, it sounds like you are well-prepared for this audition.

From what I've seen of your playing you can definitely handle this. Believe in yourself.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Thanks all. I will be channeling your well-wishes this evening.

However, if this isn't already weirder to some of you, this is a band-less audition. It'll literally be a drumset in front of a table of people watching me play. So all I'll have is my charming personality to go with my drumming and hopefully I'll get to play longer than ten seconds (which would mean I'll have them - but who knows?). It would be funnier if I didn't play at all and just got down to business regarding the actual gig.

If this all works out for me, then it'll be at least a two-year vacation from my regular audio engineer job and hopefully the same pay and benefits. Actually paying for the house and all the other bills as a musician sounds a little surreal to me right about now ;)

The great thing about auditions is that you actually do what you're being hired to do. In my line of work people are hired based on talking about what what they do. I'm a big believer in adding practical tests to the interview process.

Break a leg, Bo!

Relax and don't force it- it'll be there. Do you have Brian Eno's Music for Airports?

Actually, no. I never got into Eno's stuff. I do love Fripp's Soundscape and Frippertronic stuff, though. It should help me with not forcing anything. Maybe a few drinks would do that too ;)

Thanks Pol. I plan to break BOTH legs.

You've done everything you can to prepare, so relax and live in the moment during the audition. I'll say a little prayer for you!

Actually, no. I never got into Eno's stuff. I do love Fripp's Soundscape and Frippertronic stuff, though. It should help me with not forcing anything.

That's a coincidence. I was getting the band's recordings from Thursday's band practice together and came across a nice line our guitarist did while working out a line ... I looped it (many times) called it Mikeytronics haha ... this should chill you out, Bo! :)

Attachments

• bm_mikeytronics_03Mar11.mp3
    1.5 MB · Views: 79
That's a coincidence. I was getting the band's recordings from Thursday's band practice together and came across a nice line our guitarist did while working out a line ... I looped it (many times) called it Mikeytronics haha ... this should chill you out, Bo! :)

Thanks Pol. Unfortunately, here at work I'm not equipped to listen to MP3 files (like I should be on DW right now, too). I won't get to chill out on the file until I get home after the deed is done.

Back