Yamaha Drum Testimonials Anyone?

Huh? From your own attached to the pricelist:
ABD1522(R) Bassdrum, Maple Custom Absolute Nouveau, 22" x 16" (all Absolute colours) 1.486

BD922Y Bassdrum, Recording Custom, 22“ x 16“ (Solid Black, Cherry Wood) 1.415

The MCAN are a little more expesive than the recording customs.

You where right about the tour above the stage customs, but the RC's are more expensive than the Absolutes. (one bassdrum is almost half the price of a standard MCAN or BCAN setup)

(see attached european price list)

Actually, based on quotes from two different dealers in the U.S., you can get a four-piece setup of RCs for just under $2K (18" or 20" bass with 10/12 toms and 14 floor). MCANs and BCANs cost a bit more.

Im suprised. Im only looking to the offical price list and thats states that you cant get a complete RC set.

If you would take the separate prices you will pass the 2k easely (wandering who's going to pay for the difference, Yamah aor the Dealer, or just a big big discount) or they still sell in sets in the U.s.

If thats true, thats only great.

Yamaha is just cool ;)

My 1st kit was a Yamaha Stage Custom which I bought 9 years ago. It's still the only kit I own and has served me amazingly well. Extensive gigging etc and it's still looking and sounding great. Admittedly I don't really have much of a frame of reference, other than playing a few different kits when I was in school or kit sharing at small gigs (ugh!), and I know the Stage Customs are one of the cheapest in the range but I really like them and I've never had a reason to consider any other!

Also the hardware will go forever. In a post apocalyptic world, only cockroaches and Yamaha cymbal stands will exist!

Personally I own 5-pc Stage Custom and even though they are one of the lowest models- they are one of the best sounding kits I have personally heard.

Yamaha has great quality even in the lower end- I can't imagine how the higher end sound as mine sound way above their price!

I am constantly being asked about my kit and being told how good it sounds.

I'm not sure if this is a good thing but to my eyes there isnt a whole lot of difference in the looks department between the SC's and something like the RC's.

I guess that sucks if you have an RC when I can look like I have one as well on stage!!! hehe- but that is another good thing I think of Yamaha's quality all the way through the range.

On the hardware front- I find my boom stands to be a little on the heavy side but you could use them to build houses from they are that strong, Like someone else has already said- when the Nuclear war happens at least the cockroaches will have something to place their cymbals on!!!!

Thanks again everyone! I am excited to say that I will soon be the proud owner of two new Yamaha kits. I have been checking them out lately, and all I can say is, "you were right." These drums are sweethearts. A few years ago, I spent a ton of dough on a kit made by a very reputable company. I was terribly upset with the quality control, and swore that I would never play their drums again. I have had great luck with my Gretsch kits, but had the opportunity to work with Yamaha. After "taste testing," here's what is on the way. 24x16, 13x9, 16x16, 18x16. BCAN kick, MCAN toms. The other kit is the same, except kick is 24x18 BCAN, and BCAN toms. Still looking on the snare drum side. So many choices! Finishes are Black sparkle sunburst and White marine pearl. Snare drums in the mix are the Manu Katche sig, or the Paul Leim. Any thoughts or experience with either? Thanks again.

I hope I'm not late to the party but I've had a set of Yamaha Recording Customs in Deep Aqua for 12 years. The wood has aged nicely and now they REALLY sing!

Also, I've had four CS-835 cymbal stands for 16 years and the still hold up after years of setting up and breaking down.

Wonderful product.

I really love Yamaha drums.
I use a Maple custom snare 14" x 6.5"
Here's a photo of me playing on a birch custom kit (I don't own this one) but it sounded lovely.

picture.php

Last edited:
Me too... I am a proud owner of Yamaha Oak custom....I can't believe not alot of people talk about these drum kit...I think this is the best Yammie's sounding kit.....I have owned the Maple and birch absolutes before.....I was using Odery drums for a while, a $4,000 drum kit, but after owning them for a year, the drums fit much better as a furniture rather than drums...it pains me to play them...they sound awesome but looks to good to be hit and lugged around.....anyway got sidetracked alittle.....I first tried the Yammie's Oak at Guitar center...can you say " love on the first hit" I knew once I played them for about 30 minutes I have to sell the furniture and get the drum set I can play around and will get me some extra snares by selling the Odery...anyway....check out this pic.

Attachments

• PIC_0058.JPG
    PIC_0058.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 5,151
  • Mami and piggy 028.JPG
    Mami and piggy 028.JPG
    446.8 KB · Views: 6,053
Me too... I am a proud owner of Yamaha Oak custom....I can't believe not alot of people talk about these drum kit...I think this is the best Yammie's sounding kit.....I have owned the Maple and birch absolutes before.....I was using Odery drums for a while, a $4,000 drum kit, but after owning them for a year, the drums fit much better as a furniture rather than drums...it pains me to play them...they sound awesome but looks to good to be hit and lugged around.....anyway got sidetracked alittle.....I first tried the Yammie's Oak at Guitar center...can you say " love on the first hit" I knew once I played them for about 30 minutes I have to sell the furniture and get the drum set I can play around and will get me some extra snares by selling the Odery...anyway....check out this pic.

That kit is nice! I want one. Do you like the snare? I've heard good things from a couple of engineers I know.

I recently bought a MCA-N and I really like them. The quality is perfect and the sound is really musical, just the right mix of attack and resonance. The only thing I'm a bit dissapointed with is the YESS tom mount. My 12" tom sometimes sounds a bit dead which would not happen with a RIMS mount.

Hi You're right about the 12 inch choking on the yess mount. I have Maple Custom Absolute and Stage Custom Advantage kits and they do the same thing. If you slide the tom down the clamp tube and reposition it, it will fix it. The tuning also affects the choking. Taking the drum up a bit in pitch helps. One last thing... if you gently move the drum vertically when it's mounted it will 'loosen' the tension that the yess mount is fixed to the shell with and allow more sustain. This last method needs to be done gently. Try the other two options first. Cheers.

I have never had any experience with Yamaha drums or hardware. I have an opportunity to check some of their stuff out, but I would really like for some of you guys to let me know about your experiences with the products and service.
Good-Bad-Indifferent Any input is welcome.
I am specificly interested in BCA, BACN, MCA, MCAN.
I like pretty big drums, so specific info about larger sizes would be helpful too. I searched and read quite a bit, so hopefully this is not redundant. The use would be live and studio too. I play mostly rock/pop with my band, but like to play lots of other styles.
Also, I have always heard more about their birch shells. Anyone care to weigh in on that aspect?
Thanks.
Mac

I was in Nashville last spring and heard Anton Fig play some really nice sounding Maple Custom Absolutes. The next week I played on a similiar kit on a backline for a Platters show; they were good enough for me! Yamaha has to really work at it to make something suck!

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com
http://www.patentcoachmike.com
http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.facebook.com/mike.mccraw

Yamaha drums are excellent quality. I use Maple Custom Absolutes (Vintage finish) and Stage Custom Advantage (Natural finish) and DT Xpress IV Special. After obtaining the MCAs I got nervous about lugging them to certain gigs and so bought the SCAs as a 'day to day' kit. After dumping the the stock heads and some careful tuning, I have to say the SCAs sound incredible. Sound engineers often comment on their great sound and they look just as trick as the MCAs. They don't sound quite as good as the MCAs, but at a gig with the band playing no-one would pick the difference. The hardware is great as well. Buy 'em you'll love 'em! Cheers!

Just in case the OP isn't entirely convinced by now... I bought a set of Stage Customs back in 1997 when they first came out. For 12 years these drums have wandered all over the US, played hundreds of gigs, been on several CDs and I still smile when I play them. I keep thinking about what I'll upgrade to next (really love the sound of the MCAs and the new Rock Tour looks beautiful), but I really don't need to upgrade any time soon.

Just got my Yahama Stage Custom kit yesterday (birch)...in Cranberry! Brand, spanking new in the box...this was worse to put together than IKEA bloody furniture! (Mostly, because I am a beginner). I still have to tune the 12in rack tom...my damn floor tom sounds the same pitch. Also had to redo the kick, because I forgot to check the pitch around the drum heads.

I just LOVE being a novice!

However, it was like Christmas opening up those boxes! Super exciting!

Just in case the OP isn't entirely convinced by now... I bought a set of Stage Customs back in 1997 when they first came out. For 12 years these drums have wandered all over the US, played hundreds of gigs, been on several CDs and I still smile when I play them. I keep thinking about what I'll upgrade to next (really love the sound of the MCAs and the new Rock Tour looks beautiful), but I really don't need to upgrade any time soon.

Now that is what I call a testimonial!

Just got my Yahama Stage Custom kit yesterday (birch)...in Cranberry! Brand, spanking new in the box...this was worse to put together than IKEA bloody furniture! (Mostly, because I am a beginner). I still have to tune the 12in rack tom...my damn floor tom sounds the same pitch. Also had to redo the kick, because I forgot to check the pitch around the drum heads.

I just LOVE being a novice!

However, it was like Christmas opening up those boxes! Super exciting!

hahaaa! That is funny there. I am with you man! My Stage Customs arrive here Tuesday!

I dislike and do not trust Yamaha snare mechanisms. My experience is that they are fragile and break easily. This is why I do not often buy Yamaha snare drums.

However the shells are superb and Yamaha drums record wonderfully. Tuning is easy and getting a sound on the desk is equally as simple. They are very easy, user friendly drums to play. The hardware is excellent as well. Aside of course for the strainer that is partially made of plastic!??? I mean why?

Back