Rack Tom as floor Tom

Gmetz21

What do you guys think of this? I have a 14 inch rack Tom mounted as a floor Tom to put the ride where I like it. I have thought about moving both toms to the left of the bass drum. What do you guys think?

Maybe it's just me, but a little clarification would help. Your first statement / question in your post asked what we think of using a 14" rack tom as a floor tom to accommodate your ride cymbal location. That's a good idea. Lots of drummers do things like that to fit that ride cymbal just where they want it.

But then you say that you're thinking of putting both toms to the left of your bass drum.

Do you only have two toms, are you talking about 2 mounted toms to the left plus the 14 on the floor? I'm not exactly sure what you're asking.

Sorry for the confusion, I have 2 toms and one floor Tom. I am trying to decide if I should move the two toms to the left of the bass drum or mount the bigger Tom as a floor tom and just have one Tom above my bass drum. I am trying to upload pictures but it isn't working.

When I use all three of my toms (I'm currently playing my kit as a four piece ) I set it up the way you describe. I place the two mounted toms to the left of the bass drum. I like it a lot.

Here is a picture of the 2 floor Tom set up. The floor Tom closest to the ride is actually a rack Tom. Just jammed on it and it was actually very comfortable. I didn't have to turn as much as I thought to reach the second floor Tom.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 242
I have a two up, one down setup 10-13-14. I have found that putting the ride on a boom stand hanging half over the floor tom is a pretty comfortable alternative. Easy to reach and shorter flies between all the toms.

What do you guys think of this?
Experiment. You'll figure out what you like. My standard (for a few years, now) is a 13x9 and 16x16 on my right. Same positions as your rack and floor. On my left ..... left of my hi-hat, I have an 18x16. But I can change it any time I need or want.​

Here is a picture of the 2 floor Tom set up. The floor Tom closest to the ride is actually a rack Tom. Just jammed on it and it was actually very comfortable. I didn't have to turn as much as I thought to reach the second floor Tom.

It may be just the angle, but it looks like your crash cymbal is way out into the bleachers. You must have Mister Fantastic-like arms!

I do have long arms but it's just the angle lol. It's not that far. I actually thought the same thing when I took the picture.

After seeing the tom sizes in your picture, I'd stay with the one up, two down set up, but that's just my preference /comfort.

Back