Value of a Yamaha Maple Custom Snare?

HokosPokos

I got this Yamaha snare when I bought a used Pearl World Series kit. The Pearl drums sounds amazing but the snare just doesn't do it for me. It pops really good but doesn't have the low end I'm looking for. So I have decided to sell it in order to buy a brass snare with a 6,5" depth.
Could anyone tell me how much I could get for it?

I saw a similar one on ebay not long ago that was out for something like 300 EU ($380). But it was a different size and the badge wasn't identical.

It's in really good shape with fairly new heads and a new Puresound strainer.

(The lugs are brass coloured, sorry about the bad light. And the sizes!)

Hi there,

That looks like an MSD-0104, the earlier Maple Custom series. Great drum, and I would think 300 Euros would be a reasonable price if the drum is in good condition.

You don't see those much anymore, you may want to consider hanging on to it.. Perhaps as a side snare, or just to have a different sound if you want it..

Dutch

Though Yamaha stopped making that particular model, the current comparable snare is about $550, new. 300 eur would be a good place to start, at least. Selling used gear ..... you ask a certain price ..... the buyer usually wants to pay less ..... and you work it out.​

Thanks for the replies!

300 Euros is great for me since I only payed 500 for the whole set (kick, snare, 5 toms + stands and a few old 2002 Paiste cymbals). Even though I'd like to keep it I just can't justify having three snares at the same time. My second right now is an 80's Tama Swingstar. Not the best but it works as a workhorse.

I've had my eye on a 14"x6,5" Pork Pie Big Black Bob. That's 200 Euros shipped so that gives me an extra 100 Euros for other goodies... maybe an Alesis sample pad?

Thanks again!

Die cast hoops on that drum should add some value to your snare. If someone tries to lowball you by comparing it to another drum, check the style hoop on the other drum. A set of triple flange hoops can be had for less than $15 a piece, while a die cast is generally about $75, rarely can you find them new for less than $60. Yours also has vinyl washers, so it appears to be set up nicely, $300-$380 range should be attainable. Whatever that is in Euros I am not sure.

I got this Yamaha snare when I bought a used Pearl World Series kit. The Pearl drums sounds amazing but the snare just doesn't do it for me. It pops really good but doesn't have the low end I'm looking for. So I have decided to sell it in order to buy a brass snare with a 6,5" depth.
Could anyone tell me how much I could get for it?

I saw a similar one on ebay not long ago that was out for something like 300 EU ($380). But it was a different size and the badge wasn't identical.

It's in really good shape with fairly new heads and a new Puresound strainer.

Is this a 14" drum, or a 13"?

The lugs are pot metal. If I were considering a used snare drum of this age, I would request to see the insides of a lug or two, as these lugs are prone to deformation over time, and there's some time associated with this drum.

Since the original strainer (also pot metal) has been replaced, I would use that as a means to justify a lower price... assuming you don't have the original (strainer) in good condition.

Hard to tell from the photos what condition it's in, but I don't see pitting on the hardware, so I'm guessing it's reasonably good. Those lugs are not really brass-colored -- they're gold plated. And the strainer looks original -- I think by "Puresound strainer" the OP is referring to the snare wires themselves, not the strainer. All in all, I'd think you might be able to get $80 to $100 USD more than the $380 mentioned. The original Maple Customs were great drums and aren't easy to find in good shape nowadays.

Die cast hoops on that drum should add some value to your snare. If someone tries to lowball you by comparing it to another drum, check the style hoop on the other drum. A set of triple flange hoops can be had for less than $15 a piece, while a die cast is generally about $75, rarely can you find them new for less than $60. Yours also has vinyl washers, so it appears to be set up nicely, $300-$380 range should be attainable. Whatever that is in Euros I am not sure.
Nice one! Didn't think about the die cast hoops.

The lugs are pot metal. If I were considering a used snare drum of this age, I would request to see the insides of a lug or two, as these lugs are prone to deformation over time, and there's some time associated with this drum.

Since the original strainer (also pot metal) has been replaced, I would use that as a means to justify a lower price... assuming you don't have the original (strainer) in good condition.
As motleyh said, I was referring to the new Puresound snare wires. Sorry, english isn't my first language and it's been a while since I talked about drums in english.

The snare has it's original strainer and it's in good condition.

Do you happen to know when this drum was made? 5, 10, 15 years ago?

Hard to tell from the photos what condition it's in, but I don't see pitting on the hardware, so I'm guessing it's reasonably good. Those lugs are not really brass-colored -- they're gold plated. And the strainer looks original -- I think by "Puresound strainer" the OP is referring to the snare wires themselves, not the strainer. All in all, I'd think you might be able to get $80 to $100 USD more than the $380 mentioned. The original Maple Customs were great drums and aren't easy to find in good shape nowadays.
The hoops do have some very small dings on but other than that, the snare is in very good shape . The lugs doesn't have any pitting. And yeah, they sure are gold! Not brass... Damn english..
That's some really good news! And thanks for clearing up the "strainer"-issue. :)

Probably about 15 years old. I believe the next version (Maple Custom Absolutes) were introduced around 2002 - 2003.

The MSD-0104 came standard with diecast hoops, not triple-flanged ones.

Dutch

Probably about 15 years old. I believe the next version (Maple Custom Absolutes) were introduced around 2002 - 2003.

The MSD-0104 came standard with diecast hoops, not triple-flanged ones.

Dutch
Alright. Thanks! This turned out really good for me! :)

Back