repairing scratches to DW satin oil finish ???

so heres the 'after' pics - a few coats of tung oil and a couple of light sandings later they are done (thank god it took me ages!) drums came out darker but those awful scratches virtualy vanished - The Bass drum isnt quite ready it's taking HOURS!! it was in the worst shape - removal of the residue on the bass drum from the stickers turned out to be the worse damage also had to clean a lot of tape of the hardware - almost all the lugs on the toms and bass were scratched up ( Black hardware is notorious for this ) so I had to touch up most of them with a black gloss enamel paint but they came out great - Putting new heads on them in next day or to (coated X ambassadors) and theyll be ready for a new home!
incidently the light was odd and the drums are not quite as dark as they appear in the photos . .but I think i prefer them this way - as always, thoughts appreciated !

Attachments

• P10.jpeg
    P10.jpeg
    4.9 KB · Views: 1,798
  • P!.jpeg
    P!.jpeg
    4 KB · Views: 1,796
  • p2.jpeg
    p2.jpeg
    3.9 KB · Views: 1,791
  • P3.jpeg
    P3.jpeg
    3 KB · Views: 1,796
  • P4.jpeg
    P4.jpeg
    2.8 KB · Views: 1,798
  • P5.jpeg
    P5.jpeg
    2.6 KB · Views: 1,771
  • P6.jpeg
    P6.jpeg
    4.9 KB · Views: 1,760
  • P7.jpeg
    P7.jpeg
    3.8 KB · Views: 1,752
  • P8.jpeg
    P8.jpeg
    3.9 KB · Views: 1,774
  • P9.jpeg
    P9.jpeg
    3.3 KB · Views: 1,778
Massive improvement. I like the darker shade (even if it is more pronounced in those photos than in person). I'm sure many people would be proud to own them.

thanks Boom
Def turned out better than I thought - Tung oil works wonders !!

To me, this looks like an excellent improvement.

Well done :)

Great job Dave. That looks like a set of drums that someone would be proud to own.

How about a picture of them all setup? Dimensions?

Sorry for all the pestering for pics, I just really like looking at nice gear.

Thanks y'all
Standard configuration 22" x 18, 14" x 10"
12" x 8", '10" x 6" and 8" x 6"
I'll post some final shots up here before I list them - prob going eBay-bound but I might list them on the Dworld classifieds first - thinking around $1400 - sound about right?

Hey Davethis! Good job on the refinish, looks great! I'd love to see some higher res photos to have a good look at the finish you achieved!

What tung oil did you use? I'm based in the uk and you cant get the dw recommended minwax stuff here. I'm a little hesitant to use trial and error with available products as my kit is in pretty good condition as it is. Just curious for future work!

Cheers, T

Hey thanks for the kind words - sold those drums to an ex-soldier who just got back from a tour of duty - it was great to get them to someone who will enjoy them and to someone who deserves to get a great set - I'll look up the tung oil type and get back to you !

Back