Long, but small diamter drum stick?

Hey All,

Looking for a small diameter (around .500 or less), but with some length (like 16 inches or over) drumsticks. I am not a hard hitter and play more with finesse. I like Pro-Mark Cafe Series drumsticks, but am looking for something smaller and longer. Nylon or wood tip and do not care on the brand.

If you have any suggestions, please post!

Vic Firth AJ5s are Vic's thinnest diameter stick but are fairly long (.490" * 16"). They're balanced pretty well.

For finesse, you can't go wrong with AJ6s (.550" * 15.5") which FEEL just as light, and have a nice tip and taper that draw sweet, beautiful sounds out of cymbals and drums.

Maybe one of the varieties of Erskine Signature Sticks too.

Best of luck!

I really like the American Jazz 1 and the E-Stick for delicate finesse because of the long taper, but those are wider than .500.

Some of the sticks that Bopworks do might fit the bill - I've used their West Coast ones and really like them. The '40's Swing model is 16" long with a .515 diameter.

+1 on Vic Firth Questlove's sticks. 17" length & .520" diamater. The balance on these sticks are perfect for me and the wooden tips are super articulate on hats and rides. The anti-slip grip blisters my fingers like no other but the pain is worth the output I get from these things.

Thanks for all the suggestions! Like them all, really!

I have ordered 3 pairs of the Vic Firth Questlove's sticks. The 17 inch length sealed the deal. I play 16 inch sticks now and was wanting that extra inch.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the suggestions! Like them all, really!

I have ordered 3 pairs of the Vic Firth Questlove's sticks. The 17 inch length sealed the deal. I play 16 inch sticks now and was wanting that extra inch.

I like mine.............the only complaint I have is the tips wear out quicker than other sticks I've used. I only use them when I want a "quieter" stick or when playing electronics, but they are easy to get used to.

Let us know how you like them.

I think im gonna pickup these also. (Vic Firth Questlove's sticks)
as a older man
i need a extra inch on my stick :) lol

I think im gonna pickup these also. (Vic Firth Questlove's sticks)
as a older man
i need a extra inch on my stick :) lol

Good idea! I recently picked up a pair of these, along with some others to try. I've played the Dave Weckl models since the early 90's and wanted a longer stick that was thinner (like you) and a thicker and shorter one.

My VERY mini review of QL's sig sticks: articulate well, very light and fast, perfect balance (for me), the extra length is very handy. I'm using these when I record as I don't need to bash the drums or project well...just want controlled tones and good articulation. These do the trick for me. I'm ordering more, love them!

Check out either the AJ5s or AJ6s from VF, also the Art Blakey model from Bopworks would work, but I find the stick don't have a great deal of bounce to them...

Back