Learning the Traditional Blast Beat?

One thing that I've always wanted to be better at is the traditional blast beat. I know how the blast goes, but there are key issues I run into:
1. It's incredibly hard to keep my limbs properly in time. I do my blasts with two feet, not one also.
2. Its very tough to keep my wrists going as compared to my traditional hammer blast which uses finger motion on my right hand (my left hand has absolutely no grasp on flying fingers). I've tried implementing a whipping motion, but that actually makes it tougher, and I'm also at a point where my hands won't even begin to do it unless I use the whipping motion, so I feel trapped in a sense.
3. When switching between a hi-hat and a ride cymbal blast, I find that the hi-hats have absolutely no bounce which makes them incredibly hard to play on, and the ride cymbal has way to much bounce it seems like.
4. I can keep it together for about 3 seconds at 180bpm, but I can't play it at faster speeds, or lower.

I'm probably rushing into this technique like always and not doing it properly, so I figured I should probably start off at square one to make sure I'm getting it down properly.

For those who are confused as to which blast this is, it's this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDys8lDyCFI

The first blast are what I'm trying to learn. He plays them pretty damn tight, and that's what I'd like to be at.

put on a metronome at 50bpm and practice the blast for 5 mins each day. the idea is to play it perfectly. if you lose time, stop and start again. if you use a poor motion, stop and start again.
in a week move up to 60bpm, and so on. within 6 months you'll easily have it up to 200bpm, if not faster, depending on your technique.
slow and steady captain.

our very own Luke Snyder breaks it down

and at the end gives you the only advice you will ever need

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYxryo1uwms

Seen this haha :D

He's right though. I used to always wonder why I couldn't play flying fingers on my right hand, but then I just quit bitching and starting practicing. It's not that I don't want to practice or anything haha. I'm the the type to make sure I'm doing things right from the beginning and whatnot. Just my cautious self haha

I'm probably rushing into this technique like always and not doing it properly, so I figured I should probably start off at square one to make sure I'm getting it down properly.

For those who are confused as to which blast this is, it's this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDys8lDyCFI

The first blast are what I'm trying to learn. He plays them pretty damn tight, and that's what I'd like to be at.

Love the tongue hanging out....have not seen that in a long time.

I can go faster on the hi-hat using push pull, my fingers don't seem to go fast enough, and for some reason I lose the bounce on the ride cymbal when I try to play fingers only.

I got the push pull on the hi-hat after a discussion with my drum teacher about AC/DC drumming, and accenting the quarters rather than just keeping a constant dynamic on the hat. Do this by hitting the edge of the hat with the shoulder of the stick on the quarters (like hitting a crash), and hitting the top with the tip on the 8ths (like hitting a ride). playing the standard rock beat like this forever made push pull natural for me on the hi-hat.

*sigh* if only it were that easy to be able to practice every day.

I like that it's being called the *traditional* blast beat like it's decades or centuries old or from folk or blues music :)

Play along to songs with traditional blast beat sections in them.

That won't really work in my opinion. This isn't the kind of beat where you can jump right in. Requires a lot of coordination.

I like that it's being called the *traditional* blast beat like it's decades or centuries old or from folk or blues music :)

Yea I kind of thought that too for a while. Theres just so many different blast variations now, and that one is the "first" one.

Last edited by a moderator:
our very own Luke Snyder breaks it down

and at the end gives you the only advice you will ever need

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYxryo1uwms

Right... Next you'll be telling us that if we don't want to be fat, we'll have to eat better and be more active or something silly like that.

If you could just tell us the secret, we could all be kick ass drummers without all the work. Very selfish of you.

i'm not being funny but i could play at least 6 variations on the traditional blast, which is derived from a polka beat
i get this sense that some people believe metal has no historical element and is somehow inferior to folk/blues/jazz/etc
which of course are all inferior to baroque music

Back