Travis Barker

sudbrink said:
and he's pretty damn charismatic for drummer.

Yep, I agree. His TV show is the only celebrity show that is any good. I think he's actually quite humble, normal and funny. I love his enthusiasm for cars as well. I just wish the show would focus more on his music life!

Ok, I have read just about every one of these posts in this entire discussion. What you people need to understand is that you can't compare drummers from different genres and styles of music. Each category of music requires different musical needs. Travis being in the punk/pop-punk/general alternative uses different beats for his songs. Not all of his songs are fast tempo as many of you people have said. Where as Joey from Slipknot playing metal music, is required to play fast because of the style of music. Buddy Rich as some of you have mentioned is a great jazz drummer, but he doesnt play the same style drum beats as other drummers. All you people should understand is that Travis really is a great drummer for what kind of music he plays. Every drummer is great in their own way.

I agree with mr. fun with goats completely.

Also, it was said that his time was off on some of his recordings, i just want to know what tracks on what albums cause i would like to give them a listen and get back to the forum.

Re: Travis Barker playing country

Bonham to the moon said:
i agree completely, i think that he kind of shamed the drumming community, to a lot of the people that wtched that show probably came away from it thinking, hey that was a good performance, but did you see that tool of a drummer? yea, i told you all drummers are just tattoed idiots bangin on whatever is near by.

Idiot? I would never go that far man. Travis Barker is a great drummer and a great rock influence today.Wow, I would neevr refer to him just as "pounding on things." Say whatever you want but it's not going to change his drumming. Your just extremely jealous man. Go practice or something.

And it's pretty funny most of the people making these horrible comments of how Travis Barker "sucked" on the country awards are all grown men....wow...

HAHAHA!!! that was weard..!

But I think he did great..! I would never imagine Travis could play country that good!

This shows even more what a great drummer he is!

Last edited:

Wow. I'm not a huge Travis Barker fan (I do think he's good though), but the mocking and insulting him is just uncalled for. He's playing COUNTRY; he can't just go all out and do anything. He has to keep it completely simple, and that's what he did. And as for the headbanging, mohawk, and so on, that's just what he dresses and looks like; they knew that when they asked him to be on it.

JoshRead said:
Wow. I'm not a huge Travis Barker fan (I do think he's good though), but the mocking and insulting him is just uncalled for. He's playing COUNTRY; he can't just go all out and do anything. He has to keep it completely simple, and that's what he did. And as for the headbanging, mohawk, and so on, that's just what he dresses and looks like; they knew that when they asked him to be on it.

So what you're saying is that Travis had to act in an appropriate manner for the gig he was on.. but simultaneously also didn't have to?

finnhiggins said:
So what you're saying is that Travis had to act in an appropriate manner for the gig he was on.. but simultaneously also didn't have to?

I was talking about his playing. He couldn't play anything other than what is very simple, because in country music, drums are not at all complex in most cases. As for his LOOKS, that's just how he dresses, and the people who asked him on knew that.

God bless

JoshRead said:
He couldn't play anything other than what is very simple, because in country music, drums are not at all complex in most cases.

There is such a thing as a good country feel, and though it is not complex per se, it is not a gimme either. Could check Larrie Londin for samples, more recently Trey Gray. Jim Keltner has done some nice work on few Neil Young country songs as well, but Jim Keltner doesn't count because he's good at everything.

I'm not sure if TB was rehearsed enough for that country gig, but looks aside, the appropriate feel is absent.

JoshRead said:
I was talking about his playing. He couldn't play anything other than what is very simple, because in country music, drums are not at all complex in most cases. As for his LOOKS, that's just how he dresses, and the people who asked him on knew that.

So what you're saying is that he had to be appropriate musically because his usual approach wouldn't fit the style, but he could be inappropriate in terms of his appearance and performance despite it absolutely not fitting the style? Why's that? Surely it's both or neither?

I'd agree that he would have to play simple in order to play country in that context, rather than his usual 16th-note-thrashing business. But I also think he should have at least attempted to fit the song in terms of his performance and attire, too - it's as much a part of the stage presentation as your playing is, and his stupid moshing just looked plain funny and out of place.

Any music is about communicating a feeling. Your playing should try to follow that - and Travis seems to have realised that. But if your appearance and behavior are directly contradictory to the feeling and emotion of the song as performed then you just end up undermining what the rest of the band is doing. It's as rude and immature as overplaying, IMHO.

finnhiggins said:
So what you're saying is that he had to be appropriate musically because his usual approach wouldn't fit the style, but he could be inappropriate in terms of his appearance and performance despite it absolutely not fitting the style? Why's that? Surely it's both or neither?

I'd agree that he would have to play simple in order to play country in that context, rather than his usual 16th-note-thrashing business. But I also think he should have at least attempted to fit the song in terms of his performance and attire, too - it's as much a part of the stage presentation as your playing is, and his stupid moshing just looked plain funny and out of place.

Any music is about communicating a feeling. Your playing should try to follow that - and Travis seems to have realised that. But if your appearance and behavior are directly contradictory to the feeling and emotion of the song as performed then you just end up undermining what the rest of the band is doing. It's as rude and immature as overplaying, IMHO.

First, I also thought that his whole behavior and attire in that setting looked a bit silly. However, I tend to think that the sound they put out is more important then the look of the person putting out that sound. Now, I'm sure you believe that too; I'm not trying to say you don't. The thing is, that's just his personality and how he dresses. If he plays for Blink 182, he wears those clothes; not because he's playing with them, but because that's just how he dresses and looks. We shouldn't expect him to change how he always dresses because he's going into a setting where those people don't generally wear those sort of things or act that sort of way.

Maybe he was simply just getting into the song and his natural reaction is to headbang. Sounds kinda dumb, but you never know. Also, we don't know what he usually plays if he's just jamming himself, so we can't say his preferred play style is punk rock just because that's what the band he's in happens to play.

Anyway, no need to get off to a bad start on these forums, so I'll hush now hah.

God bless!

JoshRead said:
First, I also thought that his whole behavior and attire in that setting looked a bit silly. However, I tend to think that the sound they put out is more important then the look of the person putting out that sound. Now, I'm sure you believe that too; I'm not trying to say you don't. The thing is, that's just his personality and how he dresses. If he plays for Blink 182, he wears those clothes; not because he's playing with them, but because that's just how he dresses and looks. We shouldn't expect him to change how he always dresses because he's going into a setting where those people don't generally wear those sort of things or act that sort of way.

Maybe he was simply just getting into the song and his natural reaction is to headbang. Sounds kinda dumb, but you never know. Also, we don't know what he usually plays if he's just jamming himself, so we can't say his preferred play style is punk rock just because that's what the band he's in happens to play.

Anyway, no need to get off to a bad start on these forums, so I'll hush now hah.

Don't worry about getting off to a bad start, this is an interesting topic and it's better than just arguing over whether Travis "sux" or something of the sort - so let's get to it!

My normal attire is pretty scruffy. I hate clothes shopping, so I make do with stuff basically until it falls apart and I'm in danger of getting arrested for indecent exposure. But if I get a call to play at a primarily classical performance - which has happened before... well... I wear a decent suit. Ditto a jazz gig. If I get asked to play a metal gig then out come the old scratty Tool T-shirts etc. It's just the same for working. If I'm going into work at a fairly informal media company then I'll just wear pretty standard stuff (avoiding the scratty Tool T-shirts, of course), yet if I'm getting called to go somewhere where they have a dress code then I dress up. The reason for this is basically that dressing deliberately different from the people around you is a very loud shout for attention and generally speaking I'd rather demand attention through my work before my appearance. It's better to understate your appearance and overemphasise the quality of your work, generally, otherwise people tend to think you're a bit of a ("indecent piece of anatomy" - Ed).

You see my point? How I normally dress isn't an issue, because any out-of-place dress on a gig (be it a suit on a metal gig or a metal T-shirt on a jazz gig) immediately calls attention to the person wearing it. Ditto behavior. Now, that's cool if your role is to call attention to yourself - but that's a cross-applicable thing which also reflects on your playing. So if you're dressed like a maniac and playing like a maniac I don't see an issue with that - see Terry Bozzio on the Zappa "Baby Snakes" video. He's SUPPOSED to be taking a lot of the attention because he's a focal point in the band both musically and visually.

But then you have something like Travis Barker here. Now, either they hired him for freakshow reasons and they don't care if he plays like he does in Blink 182 as long as they can attract the "yoof" demographic, or they DO care how he fits into the band and they want him to be appropriate. I'd suggest that the differentiation isn't made between playing and appearance here, because they both reflect on the same thing in the performance: Is this person a focal point in terms of attention or not? Travis on this video just looks to me like he's trying to make up for the fact that his playing isn't a focal point of the music by looking and acting like he's on a completely different gig. That don't impress me much, so to speak...

finnhiggins said:
Don't worry about getting off to a bad start, this is an interesting topic and it's better than just arguing over whether Travis "sux" or something of the sort - so let's get to it!

My normal attire is pretty scruffy. I hate clothes shopping, so I make do with stuff basically until it falls apart and I'm in danger of getting arrested for indecent exposure. But if I get a call to play at a primarily classical performance - which has happened before... well... I wear a decent suit. Ditto a jazz gig. If I get asked to play a metal gig then out come the old scratty Tool T-shirts etc. It's just the same for working. If I'm going into work at a fairly informal media company then I'll just wear pretty standard stuff (avoiding the scratty Tool T-shirts, of course), yet if I'm getting called to go somewhere where they have a dress code then I dress up. The reason for this is basically that dressing deliberately different from the people around you is a very loud shout for attention and generally speaking I'd rather demand attention through my work before my appearance. It's better to understate your appearance and overemphasise the quality of your work, generally, otherwise people tend to think you're a bit of a ("indecent piece of anatomy" - Ed).

You see my point? How I normally dress isn't an issue, because any out-of-place dress on a gig (be it a suit on a metal gig or a metal T-shirt on a jazz gig) immediately calls attention to the person wearing it. Ditto behavior. Now, that's cool if your role is to call attention to yourself - but that's a cross-applicable thing which also reflects on your playing. So if you're dressed like a maniac and playing like a maniac I don't see an issue with that - see Terry Bozzio on the Zappa "Baby Snakes" video. He's SUPPOSED to be taking a lot of the attention because he's a focal point in the band both musically and visually.

But then you have something like Travis Barker here. Now, either they hired him for freakshow reasons and they don't care if he plays like he does in Blink 182 as long as they can attract the "yoof" demographic, or they DO care how he fits into the band and they want him to be appropriate. I'd suggest that the differentiation isn't made between playing and appearance here, because they both reflect on the same thing in the performance: Is this person a focal point in terms of attention or not? Travis on this video just looks to me like he's trying to make up for the fact that his playing isn't a focal point of the music by looking and acting like he's on a completely different gig. That don't impress me much, so to speak...

After reading your first sentence, I was thinking, "Okay, cool. We'll have a civilized argument." Then I read the rest of your post. I actually agree with you. You've changed my mind. Great explanation my friend! I don't know what his intentions were playing like that, and I definitely don't believe the higher-ups should've picked him out of all the other drummers there are. I do believe that he did a decently good job playing, but I agree that what he wore was uncalled for.

And you know, I don't like how some poeple cut their hair, or what color shirts people wear.

Also, I hate how people blink their eyes, or walk a certain way. Another thing I don't like is how some people grow out their beards 3/4 of an inch.

Give me a break, if your going to argue what Travis is wearing, judge yourself first (are you wearing an acceptable shirt???? Is it the right color?) Don't judge his hair style orw/e, that's rediculous

The simple fact is, unless you're a superstar drummer, you'll get kicked out of a gig for wearing inappropriate dress. It really is just that simple. Wearing a 'Poison' T-Shirt full of holes to play Dixieland is going to earn you a sharp sacking.

I heard one year at drum day L.A., travis was suppose to go after marco minneman and he didn't want to go on, is this true?

i never heard that and id doubt it too, i dont think hes ashamed of what he can do wether it is better or worse than Joe Blow.. he brings to the table what he brings to the table.. love it or leave it ya know..

peace

yes that's what I like about him the most. On this forum everyone is so concerned about who's better than Travis. He doesn't even care. He doesn't see music as a competition or whatever.

Back