Maple custom absolute! wow!

Mikedrums78

My friend is offering me a maple custom absolute and birch custom abs set!
18x14 (bca)
12x8 / 14x12 hanging tom (mca)
natural wood color

with bags for 800..

What do you think? Is this a good deal? I don`t really care for the hanging floor, especially as a jazz kit but oh well..I could get over that ;)

Thanks for the help always!

Mike

You could add ft leg brackets and make the 14 x 12 a real floor tom.
$800 with bags is a good deal for an MCA Bop kit in Vintage Natural finish…with bags.
I'd do that.

Neal

A little confusing. Is it two 3 piece kits, 6 drums total? Or is it one set frankensteined using two lines, only 3 drums total?

For two kits with bags, sounds like a good enough deal. I am not a big fan of Yamaha maple customs, and condition would tilt this deal one way or the other. If they are clean, hardware not pitted, good heads, may be a good buy.

If it is just 3 drums, I would find a better friend.

It's a 18" birch kick and the two toms are maple..just one kit. The hardware looks clean, no pitting. The color is actually red pearl natural. It's a natural wood color, but in certain light, there's a pearl like reflection. I'm still on the fence.. My ideal sizes would be a 10,14,20 but 800 for an absolute in Hawaii is unheard of..it's actually a pretty good deal if you consider shipping from the states. I was considering an Ascent, but no one carries sonor in Hawaii, so i'd have to order and pay the 150$ or so in shipping. Yikes!

It's a 18" birch kick and the two toms are maple..just one kit. The hardware looks clean, no pitting. The color is actually red pearl natural. It's a natural wood color, but in certain light, there's a pearl like reflection. I'm still on the fence.. My ideal sizes would be a 10,14,20 but 800 for an absolute in Hawaii is unheard of..it's actually a pretty good deal if you consider shipping from the states. I was considering an Ascent, but no one carries sonor in Hawaii, so i'd have to order and pay the 150$ or so in shipping. Yikes!

Considering where you are, and what the drums are and their condition - yeah, no brainer.
Put a PS3 head on there, don't put anything else in the bass drum. You'll be surprised what you can do with an 18" kick, especially if you aren't fighting with really loud stage volumes. Are you?

Oh, and I just sold an Ascent jazz kit. They were nice but I'd take MCA/BCA all day, every time over Ascents...in any condition.
Not in the same class IMHO.

Neal

Considering where you are, and what the drums are and their condition - yeah, no brainer.
Put a PS3 head on there, don't put anything else in the bass drum. You'll be surprised what you can do with an 18" kick, especially if you aren't fighting with really loud stage volumes. Are you?

Neal

Hey Neal, no fighting at all! However, i do play the occasional pop gig and am a lil worried about the 18 having enough oomph for it. I guess adding a kick mic would make up for the lack?

I play all styles, but mainly hip hop, funk, and jazz.

I heard an 18 birch absolute with a coated ps3 on youtube.. Such a big sound for a Little kick!

Hey Neal, no fighting at all! However, i do play the occasional pop gig and am a lil worried about the 18 having enough oomph for it. I guess adding a kick mic would make up for the lack?

I play all styles, but mainly hip hop, funk, and jazz.

I heard an 18 birch absolute with a coated ps3 on youtube.. Such a big sound for a Little kick!

Absolutely! - (pun intended) throw a Shure Beta 52 in that bass drum and as long as the PA has subs...no problem. I play many styles with an 18. Acoustic rock, pop, jazz, reggae , etc

The other thing about an 18x14 bass drum is that it is the good will ambassador (again, pun intended:) of small stages. Your fellow musicians will love it. I always get compliments and happy band mates when using a small bop kit in tight quarters. The sound ain't suffering for it either!

Neal

Back