Does anyone ever get "drummed out?"

Andy

Honorary Member
It happened to me this week. Usually, every time I sit on a kit, it instantly brings a smile to my face. What with the build up to the show, days of testing/tuning/head changing, the show itself, & everything else involved, I'm drummed out. I turned up at band practice Monday night, & just couldn't muster the usual joy, & it showed in my playing too. I'm sure it's a short term blip, maybe age related too, but especially you pro's, does it ever get you like that?

Sure. I got that way last week. 5 straight days of music. It's like an appetite. Sometimes you are too full to eat. Too much of a good thing is not a good thing anymore. Like I love seafood, but every day? No thanks. I need diversions. Variety. Shake things up. Perfectly understandable. You have to rebalance yourself with something that is opposite of drumming. Like sleeping perhaps?

Yes - absolutely! Nothing better than some time away.

Though these days family life doesn't allow too much of the "drummed out" thing to occur. I can go 5 days of being a few hours behind the set and then 3-4 days straight of not being able to turn the lights on to the room. So, it's almost built into my current life's schedule.

But, I have certainly gotten "drummed out" and find it easier to get to that state the older I am.

Considering all you've been through recently, and I'm not just talking the Expo, but before that....heck, going back to the flood and rebuilding of your path....you've been pretty much going non-stop. A well-scheduled break could probably do you good.

Considering all you've been through recently, and I'm not just talking the Expo, but before that....heck, going back to the flood and rebuilding of your path....you've been pretty much going non-stop. A well-scheduled break could probably do you good.

Second this.

Third it.

Yes, I've been "music'ed out" before. It's weird, because it's such a core part of my perceived being. I feel the same guilt needing a break from music as I do when I feel I need a break from my kids. Too much of a good thing, needing variety, however you want to describe it...yeah, been there.

I got it for the first time today. Having practiced 1.5 to 2.5 hours a day for the last 5 weeks I just felt like giving up! I did half my practice but even learning new songs which is what i love doing just felt like a chore and really boring. How should i cope with this?

(I'm not a pro, but) Sure, man, happens to me too. I'm glad to see it's pretty common.

At first I feel like "guilty" for not wanting to play. Then I just leave it alone and one day when I feel like playing again, I sit on the kit and enjoy it like it was my first time.

I'm playing a lot of bass right now, it's kinda like cheating. Haha.

Cheers-

I'm playing a lot of bass right now, it's kinda like cheating. Haha.

That's exactly the type of thing that is GOOD for you to do if you're in a slump. I find sometimes I'll get refreshed simply by playing bass or guitar for awhile until something inspires me. Doesn't usually take long.
I think putting pressure on yourself to practice when you're not feeling like it [or have no deadlines], can lead to this kind of feeling. If you make a plan to take a break, you might find that you'll need to take less breaks due to not being inspired.
Peety, try giving yourself a schedule where you actually plan days off from drums. Try to stick to it and see what happens. You're practicing a lot, which is good, but you're showing signs of burnout. See if you can find a balance. Getting away from the drums a little can give it to you.

You are mixing business with pleasure too so make sure you categorize the two differently in your mind somehow or you run the risk of feeling that way all the time.

I would imagine that you might be less that excited about anything with everything you have going too.

Back