Yamaha Drum Testimonials Anyone?

drumac

I have never had any experience with Yamaha drums or hardware. I have an opportunity to check some of their stuff out, but I would really like for some of you guys to let me know about your experiences with the products and service.
Good-Bad-Indifferent Any input is welcome.
I am specificly interested in BCA, BACN, MCA, MCAN.
I like pretty big drums, so specific info about larger sizes would be helpful too. I searched and read quite a bit, so hopefully this is not redundant. The use would be live and studio too. I play mostly rock/pop with my band, but like to play lots of other styles.
Also, I have always heard more about their birch shells. Anyone care to weigh in on that aspect?
Thanks.
Mac

And its now:

PHX
Recording Custom
MCA
BCA
Oak
Oak X
HipGig Fost.
HipGig Mar.
Club Jordan
Tour Custom
Stage Custom
GigMaker

(from highest priced to lowest priced)

Some models (like the Nouveau addition, Maple Custom, Beech Custom Ab./Nouv. and other different models) are discontinued for a more transparent view on the series.

You can also see this in the line of snare drums. Birch, Maple, Oak, Loud, Sensative, Metal, Stage Signature

Check out the Yamaha forum thread for more experiences and info.

Last edited:
My honest opinion Yamaha makes some of the best hardware out there! Been playing the same yamaha kit for 25 years and it has held up extremely well! You can't go wrong with them!

Anything Yamaha builds is a quality product. I have a set of Stage Customs I use as an extra set to take to someones house to leave there for rehearsals, and I'm always impressed with the sound of those drums. I'd dare say that tuned up with good heads, I'd have a hard time picking those drums out in a blindfolded A/B comparison with my DW's.

I've had 2 Yamaha kits. MCAN and an Oak Custom. One word: flawless.

Can't beat, well you can beat Yamaha's. Great quality drums. I have 2 kits. Absolute kit with a mix of maple, birch and beech. I also have a set of Oak customs. I just sold a set of Club Customs (not made anymore) and I sold a set of Custom Tour series. The drums sound great and the hardware is the best IMO. I just had a set of 1972 Slingerlands refinished and had the guy install the Yamaha YESS mounts on the 12" tom and kick.

I hope that helps :)

I recently made the switch to Yamaha. (7-piece MCAN) Can't say enough good things about the way they sound and they're flawless. Absolute-ly the best kit I've ever owned. Was never really a brand loyalist, but that has changed. Sticking with Yamaha.

I played Ludwig from the time I was fourteen in 1965 until 1996 and then went to Gretsch. I got to where I did not want to take my 5 pc Gretsch kit (stop sign badge maple) or my Rogers 62' 4 pc kit out and went to Tama StarClassic. Then, about 6 months ago I saw a 5 pc set of Yamaha Maple Custom Absolutes pop up on craigslist for $500. I called the lady and told her I would take them sight unseen. The set is the brass badge era in the 'plum' finish and in great condition. It also came with a new DW5000 hi hat stand, Pearl single pedal and Pearl boom stand. Sold the StarClassic and never looked back...I bought a new plum MCA snare (non-nouveau) and then set it aside after buying a Sleishman snare (Australian stave). The set sounds pretty killer.

I have never had any experience with Yamaha drums or hardware. I have an opportunity to check some of their stuff out, but I would really like for some of you guys to let me know about your experiences with the products and service.
Good-Bad-Indifferent Any input is welcome.
I am specificly interested in BCA, BACN, MCA, MCAN.
I like pretty big drums, so specific info about larger sizes would be helpful too. I searched and read quite a bit, so hopefully this is not redundant. The use would be live and studio too. I play mostly rock/pop with my band, but like to play lots of other styles.
Also, I have always heard more about their birch shells. Anyone care to weigh in on that aspect?
Thanks.
Mac

I used to have an old yamaha 9000- fibre glass shells- that was the best kit in my life- the sound was amazing, deep and loud also! The hardware was first class and never let me down. I never had reason to call service about that kit- but I use a Yamaha double chain pedal and love it, it is smooth, silent and works like new considering I have had it for ten years- recently I e mailed Yamaha asking where I can get the rubber chain guide/bed for the pedal- they called me the next day and sorted me out! Outstanding I thought.

In my mind you cant go wrong mate- Birch shells give you more top end than maple, I think for Rock you may find maple better...but it is only an opinion- best thing is to try them out!
Good luck

2bsticks....thanks. I had no previous exposure to Yamaha except hearing them played by various people. The sets that I heard were the upper end Recording Customs, Maple Customs, etc. and had always had a respect for them. I was pretty blown away when I actually had a set to play. It is set up next to my 5 pc Gretsch which I am playing less and less these days. thanks, again.

i just got my first new kit, a Yamaha Stage Custom Birch 5pc. about 5 months ago, very happy, flawless shells, they tune up so easily, the hardware is easy to use, tough and versatile - i have no regrets and would buy Yamaha again...

as for the larger drums, my 12" and 16" toms with coated G2's can get get incredibly low, because the shells are birch they can also cut like crazy with single ply heads, the 10" especially, the 12" and 16" have a wide tuning range...

i just could'nt imagine you being unhappy with Yamaha's, i love mine...

l_72a802cf7d9d49da88cafefac96035ba.jpg

There's my Stage Customs stacked against the wall and my MCANs set up to play. Love their hardware too.

Thanks to all of you that shared the info. I think I'm ready to put them up against some of my other kits. I decided to spend some time comparing the BCA and MCA to each other as well. I will let you all know what I decide.
As for sizes, I'm thinking 24x16 or 24x18, 13x9 or 13x10, 16x16 and 18x16. I haven't picked one of their snares yet. That's a whole other issue. I think the wood hoops may be calling my name.

DRUMAC,
Have you heard the Oaks? Great price, great sounding drums.

I've been playing on a Beech Custom for almost 10 years, and it has served we incredibly well. The shell construction is fantastic, the bearing edges are still perfect and the hardware is super tough and extremely practical.

I recently put a down payment on a Unix Stave Bubinga kit, so I had to sell one of my kits to pay for it. It was a toss up between my Ayotte Customs or my Yamahas and after much deliberation I ended up keeping the Yamahas!! Not to take anything away from Ayotte as they're incredibly beautiful drums, but the Yammies were much more versatile. I'd say the Yamaha construction quality was almost up to par with Ayotte, but the Yammies were only 1/3 of the price.

When tuned to their ideal range the Ayottes sounded much better, but they didn't like to go too far out of their comfort zone. I can tune my Yammies all across the spectrum with little to no trouble.

Final analysis... They're a very well made drum and worth every stinking penny.

And its now:

PHX
Recording Custom
MCA
BCA
Oak
Oak X
HipGig Fost.
HipGig Mar.
Club Jordan
Stage Custom
Tour Custom
GigMaker

(from highest priced to lowest priced)

Some models (like the Nouveau addition, Maple Custom, Beech Custom Ab./Nouv. and other different models) are discontinued for a more transparent view on the series.

You can also see this in the line of snare drums. Birch, Maple, Oak, Loud, Sensative, Metal, Stage Signature

Check out the Yamaha forum thread for more experiences and info.

From that List , I think MCAN is more expensive compared with RC and also Tour Custom is ahead of Stage Custom. Yamaha does make Great Sound. Try Tour Custom (100% Maple) and you will smile. H/W is awesome as well

You where right about the tour above the stage customs, but the RC's are more expensive than the Absolutes. (one bassdrum is almost half the price of a standard MCAN or BCAN setup)

(see attached european price list)

Attachments

• DR-YAMAHA DRUM 01.2009 - SRP-nl.pdf
    90.6 KB · Views: 3,031
Last edited:
Back