How sentimental are you about your drums?

Very.

Yes, I've sold some drums before.

But my Premier Signia I will never ever sell. It was my first pro kit, and it's been with me on so many gigs and such. Plus I have dang near every add on for it, so replacing it would be impractical.

I've considered selling my DW. I love the finish, but I don't really need it. But my wife has talked me out of selling it, and friends have talked me out of selling it, so I guess I'm not selling it.

Cymbals, I'm not so much sentimental (outside of my Z Heavy Power Ride that has long been since discontinued) but I see no point in selling any of them, because they're all useful.

I've got a Ludwig 6 1/2 x 14" Maple snare with individual snare strands that I'll probably never part with. I can mix metal snare strands with synthetic gut and get some pretty amazing results. I'll be leaving this one to my daughter. Other than that I don't have anything that I wouldn't part with for the right price.

Quite.
I spent a long time saving up to buy myself my first real kit, a Tama Starclassic Maple. Since I was in 1st year university at the time, and I had to pay tuition on my own, I don't think I'll ever give this kit up.

The day I brought it home and set it up... man, that was an awesome day.

As for my snares and cymbals, it all depends on how attached I get. Some of my cymbals I'd sell without a second thought, and some you'd have to pry from my cold, dead hands.

I have a bit of a soft spot for my first kit. An 8 piece Tama Rockstar DX. My mom purchased it for me after my dad had died back in '93. I still own it all, and it has just gotten massive over the years. Now its up to 10 pieces and its getting a bit out of control. I finally disassembled everything, cleaned and waxed all the hardware and shells, reassembled a Bonham'esq kit (13/16/18/22) and put that kit up for sale today:

15389435618_409a7d2079_b.jpg

Still a looker if you are in to a "metal" looking kit. I have never tried playing the kit with this setup. I'm sure it thunders, considering the sizes. Definitely a heavy rock/metal type of kit.

Since I still have an 8/10/12/14/22 and 14" steel snare from this kit, I'm going to re-wrap them, stain the interiors, tung oil them up, and play them as a fusion kit. Though I'm thinking they would be a great A2E electric kit. That would allow me to use my 7 piece Catalina Maple as my acoustic kit, and still have a nice looking acoustic sized electric kit. I guess when you have 3 kits to choose from, you have lots of options.

TBH, I'm more sentimental about my cymbals. Drums come and go but my cymbals... there's an expression that uses cold dead hands that comes to mind...

My Guru Origin drums are the exception, because I see them as the last gift my Father gave me, plus the whole attachment to Andy and really all of DrummerWorld, plus it was a design (steambent, outer re-rings, no metal on shell) I've had in my crawl for a while, and to see it fleshed out was completely irresistible to me.

I'm having Jeff (member name motleyh, Carolina Drums) build me a steambent birdseye snare drum for me. Yum. I would feel a lot more for a drum like that than I would any big name company, even a rare Ludwig for instance.

I kinda wished I had more sentimentality with my drums, then I might not feel the need to get new drums so regularly :(. It has been a bad habit of mine (I've had about 20 drumkits, since I started out playing 20 years ago)... As it is now though, I don't feel the need to get new drums at all, so I might build up some kind of sentimental value to the ones I have now if I can keep myself on a leash for a while :p. Only thing I might do is to sell my Mapex Black Panther kit one day, as it is the kit I use the least, and the band I'm using that kit with (in their practice room) is a band that I might quit soon, because my other two bands take up too much of my time. And I don't see the need to keep both my Saturns and this Black Panther kit stacked away at home, the Saturn kit sees the road most plus studio work... Even though the Black Panthers might be ranked a slight step higher up, the Saturn just sounds better to my ears, at least more like my ultimate set of drums, if there is such a thing...

I remember when I bought my first drumkit in 2006, a Tama Stagestar, I was so attached to it that I was hoping I'd take it with me all the way untill I become pro. My bro also bought me a Dream ride cymbal which I really liked since every cymbal they make sounds very different to the other (at that time, at least). Due to visa complications, I was forced to leave Canada; so the kit stays back.

Years later, I bought another kit from my classmate when I was in studying in Australia. Kept it for 2 years or so, never played it. Then I realise I just don't have the facilities to own a drum kit anymore, so I sold it too.

Just before I moved back to Malaysia, I also got rid of a whole lot of sentimental junk I've accumulated whilst studying in Australia. I think I now learned my lesson not to become attached to my belongings.

Love anything and your heart will be wrung and possibly broken. To love at all is to be vulnerable.

I own three drumsets right now. My main Sonors I am super attached to. Even when I finally go pro-level as far as drums go, I'll still treat my meager Force 2001 set with the utmost reference.

Not very - it's an interesting, but very long story though - LOL:

Last edited:
After not playing for 32 years and after finding the great deal I did on the Gretsch Renown, they are still for sale, and when they go I will cry a few lonely tears.

Gruntersdad, did I miss something, or miss the joke? You aren't selling your beloved Renowns, are you?

Yeah, I'm attached to my gear. Sure, they're just things, possessions, inanimate objects. This is my passion though. Outside of family and country, nothing else ranks higher. My Guru snares, along with one of my Bradys and one of my Joyful Noise snares, are going to the grave with me. If I could fit my Tama Star kit, Tama Starclassic Select, and Pearl Reference Pure kits, they'd go too. These are the tools that allow me to pursue my passion. How can I not develop an attachment to them? I've carefully chosen them and sacrificed much to get them. This is who I am.

Since my tenure at Guru, I know where every single drum we've built is located. I've spoken/communicated personally at length to each owner, & I've been lucky enough to meet many of them. I know the story of each drum, how it was conceived, why it ended up with each player, the work that went into it, exactly where the wood came from, & the pride when each was finished & played for the first time. I also remember the struggles, the things that didn't go well along the way, in other words, each is like raising a child as a foster/adopted parent, & watching as they step out into the big wide world.

As a child who was adopted out of an orphanage, & started out as a very rough piece of wood, you could say there's empathy of shared journey. So am I sentimental? Hell yes :)

My 1971 Slingerland kit. Unfortunately the 13 & 14" mounted toms did not survive. The kit was originally chrome wrapped. A drummer "BobbY Chouinard" drummer with Billy Squire was a friend of mine and taught me a lot. he had the same kit and I had to have one too. also my parents were kind enough to assist me with the purchase and they had 8 other mouths to feed. RIP Mom & Dad & Bobby. Many memories with this kit. About 5 years ago I had the 12, 16 and 22 all fixed up. New pink sparkle wrap, new bearing edges and replaced the old Slingerland mounting hardware with Yamaha. Kit looks and sounds great.

I'm pretty sentimental these days.I miss my first kit ,though I still have the MIJ snare,and my "real" kit,my blue,used Ludwig red sparkle super classics and blue mist Ludwig Standards.I pledge to be cremated with mu vintage superstars and Ludwigs and ....my 47 Radio King.They're going with me........maybe:)

Steve B

Last edited:
Well, the black Tama kit I posted above sold today. Got $200 for it. Not bad considering most people can't even give old Tama Rockstars away. But that $200 will go towards some other drums, or hardware, or another throne. Who knows?

Well, the black Tama kit I posted above sold today. Got $200 for it. Not bad considering most people can't even give old Tama Rockstars away. But that $200 will go towards some other drums, or hardware, or another throne. Who knows?

Yea rockstars dont sell for much. I was too lazy to post mine up a while back and just took them to sam ash with me one day. They gave me 80 for it in fusion sizes with no snare.

I thought about taking them to Guitar Center and getting some store credit because I didnt want to deal with selling them myself, but my better judgement got the best of me and I decided to give craigslist a chance. The guy I sold them to contacted me the day after I posted them for sale. No haggling. Maybe I should have priced them a bit higher.

Great posts guys.

OK, so here are the drums that I am most sentimental about. They are my ~1990 Tama Granstars. About 24 years old and they still sound great. I don't play a nine piece configuration anymore, but someone in the My Gear / Tama post wanted to see the big kit. I dragged it all downstairs and gave them a fair wipe down for the family photo.

These are the drums that I have owned the longest. I got them when I was in high school. My Dad co-signed a loan with me so that I could afford to get the set I wanted and pay it off monthly. It taught me a lot about finance and responsibility at the time. I have some other Tama Artstar Custom Maple drum, but as for sound, I prefer the birch kit.

I loaned part of this kit to a good friend of mine to play a rock and roll show with his band. The three drums came back aged more in a few days than the sixteen years preceding it. It really broke my heart to see the scrapes and dings that I had worked so hard to avoid all those years happen in such a careless manner. Needless to say, that didn't happen again.

And even though my main player is a Ludwig Classic Maple in big Bonham sizes, I have a hard time seeing me getting rid of this kit.

Attachments

• IMG_20141101_225245_010.jpg
    IMG_20141101_225245_010.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_20141101_225507_063.jpg
    IMG_20141101_225507_063.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 118
Back