New Yamaha Stage Custom in Honey Amber

Not sure how I missed this thread, but gorgeous drums. Very nice.

Thanks everyone.

When I ordered these drums, my boss put in an order for the natural finish by mistake, which in my opinion is not that great looking on the Stage Customs. The grain looks so cheap and unnatural. So when they got into the shop, I told him he messed up, and to avoid having to order again, he tried to convince me to take those, but I explained to him how much of a difference there was in the finishes. When these came in, he totally took back his attempts to get me keep the original ones.

I'm a Tama guy, but I have so much respect for Yamaha as a company. They just put out such great products at great prices.
Those drums look sweet, and if Yamaha is the company I think they are, they probably sound even sweeter!

Nice drums, nice finish.

Your 1976 Acro has a baseball bat muffler?

The kit looks great, but I couldn't help noticing your feet on the throne. Yikes, that must have been a little sketchy.

Side note, I want me the hell out of one of those pork pie rugs.

Hahaha.. Bill Detamore, (owner of Pork Pie) wrote "Love the rug." on one of the pictures of it on Facebook.

Nice drums, nice finish.

Your 1976 Acro has a baseball bat muffler?

I installed that myself.. Not my proudest moment.

The kit looks great, but I couldn't help noticing your feet on the throne. Yikes, that must have been a little sketchy.

It's not too bad. The throne locks in two places, plus I can hold on to the rail above the sliding glass door. I wouldn't put the drums or my camera at risk. I've done much dumber stuff... lol

I do it again in this next one. ;)

Got everything re-headed. Can't wait to play these, maybe when the neighbors are at work. Anyone want to guess who my favorite drummer is?

HiRes
nbqkk9.jpg

HiRes
2d1scpj.jpg

Let's see. Floor toms slanted away.....that would have to be???

Do you play traditional grip, but holding the sticks waaaaay back, pretty much at the base? Just like a certain... K.C.?

I've tried practicing and even jamming live that way, but I don't have enough control of the stick. I do like playin traditional grip sometimes, but my left hand is a little further up on the stick. I did start holding the stick in my right hand like him though. It's very comfortable and I can pull off a lot more.

He's gonna have to sell this Yamaha kit and buy a Gretsch Brooklyn kit. :)

Funny you should say that. Two of my favorite drummers are Carlock and Questlove (see username), but I didn't go with Yamaha because they played Yamaha. I got it because they were the best drums and the best price for the configuration I wanted. Not long after I put my order in for the kit, Keith went to Gretsch and Quest went to Ludwig. All the guys at work were joking, saying I need to cancel my order now. Haha

Last edited:
Are you going to leave your tom mounts upside down like you have them in the last pics?
Looks like you've got them nice and flat mounted like that.

I'd have a rough time playing your kit. The jumps from snare to mounted tom, and mounted tom to floor tom are a lot larger than I'm used to. I'd probably be hitting sticks on rims a lot - ha ha.

That is a nice drum set... drums and cymbals. Peace and goodwill.

Are you going to leave your tom mounts upside down like you have them in the last pics?
Looks like you've got them nice and flat mounted like that.

I'd have a rough time playing your kit. The jumps from snare to mounted tom, and mounted tom to floor tom are a lot larger than I'm used to. I'd probably be hitting sticks on rims a lot - ha ha.

No, definitely not. It's tough to play like that. I usually keep the snare drum parallel with the ground and the rack tom rim about an inch away from that of the snare, slanted up and away from me. Not too much, but enough to where I can keep my posture straight and everything is easy and comfortable.

Very nice, saw one same color last week in store..Looks even better in person. I had a stage custom but it was an older one with the mixed woods..great kit but not exactly what I wanted.. I would love to have an all Birch model though..

BTW I 2nd the rug..I gotta get me one of them : )

Very nice looking kit!....and that's probably my favorite finish on SC's...when you consider all that comes standard on them now, they're definitely a lot of bang for the buck...congrats...

Here's two I took tonight.. I love two racks and two floors.

344fshu.jpg

HiRes

Did you try the stock bass drum resonant head for a while before you put the ported one on?
Mine has a large amount of kickback on the pedal even though I don't have it tuned real tight.
I think there must be some really tight tolerances on these drums, or the air vent isn't large enough or something.
Seems like air can't escape, build up pressure and pushes back on the pedal. That's what it feels like anyways. I'm getting pretty used to it though.

Did you try the stock bass drum resonant head for a while before you put the ported one on?
Mine has a large amount of kickback on the pedal even though I don't have it tuned real tight.
I think there must be some really tight tolerances on these drums, or the air vent isn't large enough or something.
Seems like air can't escape, build up pressure and pushes back on the pedal. That's what it feels like anyways. I'm getting pretty used to it though.

It felt fine with both heads. I needed some more punch and clarity since I was playing unmic'd a lot. It doesn't feel much different now, as far as I can tell. I've only played one gig since changing it though and I wasn't paying much attention. I'll feel it out next time I can take the drums out and really play them.

I also dig the white head on the wood grain. :)

.... I also dig the white head on the wood grain. :)

Ha ha - the wood looks a little orange on my computer. That - with the black stock resonant head, is great for Halloween.

Looks like the bass matches the other heads on your drums now. A more 'unified' look.

I like the black resonant head on the Cranberry Red kit, but am not so sure about the one on the Natural Wood kit.

Last edited:
Back