DW rack-tom mount

Yeah, it probably was miscommunication with the sales rep, but I'm totally happy. The way I see it, the bass drum mount gives me additional options. I'm using it right now, but at some point I might experiment with using a separate tom stand to put the rack toms directly in front of me, behind the snare. As a newbie, I'm still experimenting to figure out what I like. I'm very happy with my new kit.

-- Bobby

Maybe you got a Collector's kit for the price of a Performance, lol... nah, does lugs seems a little bit too small for that. Nice kit!

I've seen those mounts for $100+US. If they didn't charge you any extra for it sounds like you got a deal.

My new gig kit has the mount. My issue is I can't get the toms where I want them. I keep the toms in the middle of the bass drum, once you get it all set up at the furthest position the toms are still hanging over the batter side edge.

Attachments

• dw kits 3_n.jpg
    dw kits 3_n.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 8,052
Really? lol.....it's a top-notch sliding mount that they use on their flagship product. Hardly worth flipping over. Besides, I bet your dealer ordered what you asked for, whereas the OP's probably had a miscommunication with their sales rep.

To put it this way, I drilled my own DW for one 10yrs ago as I was so sick of carrying around heavy duty hardware to hang the toms and fighting for stage real estate for them as well. My kick still sounds awesome and huge.

Yup, DW slide track mount, the best BD mount you can buy IMO. I'll have em on my NEW CLASSIC's if I ever tire of a rack. TAMA has a slide track too.

These mounts are the most adjustable for tom placement, so I don't really get this:
illustrator X
Re: DW rack-tom mount
My new gig kit has the mount. My issue is I can't get the toms where I want them. I keep the toms in the middle of the bass drum, once you get it all set up at the furthest position the toms are still hanging over the batter side edge.

My issue could largely be due to the 20" bass giving me less real-estate. I like the bass drum petal pretty close. To achieve my comfortable set up, the toms need to be positioned in the centered on the bass drum. With the mount pushed to the furthest forward position, the toms are still too close to the drivers seat.

That's obviously understood.

I don't see the L-arms fwd tho, they're in their most backward facing position.

Attachments

• Picture 3000.jpg
    Picture 3000.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 3,579
That's obviously understood.
I don't see the L-arms fwd tho, they're in their most backward facing position.
Ah yes...L arms forward got them closer. Not quite to my comfy zone, but may be close enough to deal with it.

Attachments

• dw tom positoin o.JPG
    dw tom positoin o.JPG
    201.3 KB · Views: 3,855
It's brand new from the factory. Here are 2 pictures, a top view and a side view, of the rack-tom mount on top of the bass drum. As you can see from the top view, I've got the mount with the auxiliary clamp facing back (toward the drummer), so those bolts are sticking out frighteningly between the toms. Fortunately, I've got some black rubber tips that I happened to have, but it's still freaking me out, so I'm more convinced that it should be the other way around, with the auxiliary clamp facing forward. Figuring this out as I go, since I've never seen a Performance kit with a rack-tom mount like this. Thanks everyone for all the help.

-- Bobby

yeah it's set up backwards right now. switch it so you can use the aux clamp for a splash.

DW will put a mount on the bass drum if asked, but typically they don't. This type of mount is so easy to install they allow many of the drum stores that sell DW to retrofit it as wanted by the customer. My local drum store does it all the time for all the DW guys that buy a kit with a virgin kick and a couple months later they're back getting this retrofit.

My issue could largely be due to the 20" bass giving me less real-estate. I like the bass drum petal pretty close. To achieve my comfortable set up, the toms need to be positioned in the centered on the bass drum. With the mount pushed to the furthest forward position, the toms are still too close to the drivers seat.

So Illustrator,

Are you still using your bass drum tom mounts? I too believe I would prefer this rather than stand mounted but was concerned about how they worked on a smaller 20” bass drum (or even the smaller 14”x18” Performance). By the way, they look great.

Does anyone else have any experience with these or their take on free standing toms vs. BD mounts.

I believe this is the mount in question:
https://www.google.com/search?q=DWC...HRG9DC4QsAQIMQ&dpr=1.25#imgrc=pT6dAUc-mLrmuM:

- SKK

That mount is super convenient for quick set ups. Toms exact placement, no finagling. Also you can pop a small boom on the mount.
Your provided link is the tom mount in question. The bass performs like my other bass drum without the mount. I've had no issues.

That mount is super convenient for quick set ups. Toms exact placement, no finagling. Also you can pop a small boom on the mount.
Your provided link is the tom mount in question. The bass performs like my other bass drum without the mount. I've had no issues.

Excellent - just what I wanted to hear. I'm actually considering the smaller 14"x18" BD. I'll speak to DW on this.

Thanks again,
SKK

I have the DW tom mount on my Ayotte drumset.
It's a 22 X 18" bass drum with a 10 X 9" and 12 X 10" rack tom.
I think it's a great tom holder, very versatile.
It must be mounted in the right place, as I've never had any problems putting the two rack toms exactly where I want them.

Back