Thinking of getting some Paiste 602s

The Edge

I love the way these cymbals sound. Sweet, sweet cymbals. How many of you have experience with these cymbals and their durability?

I know the cymbals aren't meant for loud music situations. The crashes are a bit delicate. Volume wise, I play Dave Matthews and Allman Bros style music in small clubs and bigger rock clubs.

I'm playing Zildjian A customs and Ks right now. The 602 Ride and medium hats will do just fine for me, but I worry about the 602 crash durability.

I play the cymbals in an appropriate way. I'm not a heavy hitter, but I'm not a softie either. Any input on the 602s would be appreciated.

Why not look at it as an opportunity to develop better crash technique and dynamics? Instead of saying, yeah, I hit a little hard, I might break these crashes, why not sit down and see how the cymbals respond best, and learn to play them like that.

I've just got my first 602s in the last year or so, so I don't have a lot of history playing them. I think they got their reputation for being delicate in the 70's, when music got louder and people started breaking a lot of them. But I don't think they're necessarily worse than other thin cymbals that way, and if you're not breaking your thin As and Ks your 602s should be fine. I'd probably hesitate to use them (or any other thin and expensive cymbal) when playing unmiked with a loud band.

I'm contemplating buying a 24" 602 (AKA: I'll get one sometime soon, just have to psych myself up to part with that kind of money :) ).

I own a 22" 602 that I've had since '79 - '80, and it can get LOUD.

I used it for years and years, and never had to worry about it being too quiet a cymbal.
I didn't bash it, it just cuts well. It crashes pretty easily, with a smooth, fairly quick decay. The bell is just plain great.

It always played and sounded great at ALL dynamic levels.

Any cymbal can break, so just use good technique and good judgement when playing.

If you want to have more "show" you can do it without crushing things. The trick is to stay more relaxed, use larger motions, and don't play through whatever is being struck.
You get a bigger, fuller sound playing OFF a surface, and drawing the sound out of it (drum or cymbal).

That's been my experience.

Why not look at it as an opportunity to develop better crash technique and dynamics? Instead of saying, yeah, I hit a little hard, I might break these crashes, why not sit down and see how the cymbals respond best, and learn to play them like that.

Apparently, Soupy didn't read my entire response.

I have a 17" 602 medium crash. I have had it since 1983. Prior to that I had another one and the lead singer at the time tripped over the stand and the cymbal was damaged. I called Paiste and they had me send the old one back and they sent out a brand new one. Still my favorite crash. I play out about 120 gigs per year and this cymbal is still going strong, no issues. I can hit pretty hard at times but I try and have proper technique. Wish I could afford all 602's, just not happening at this time.

I saw a few of the new 602's at the shop, and they seem like pretty robust cymbals.
The one I have has always seemed "sturdy", but it doesn't feel "hard" when I play it.
They don't sound heavy or anything, just clear and smooth.

Looking closer into the 24, & the 15" SE Hats as well. I have a 22" Giant Beat that would go well with the 602. It sounds nice with the 22" 602 I have.

I'm really glad they brought these back, and I hope the line is expanded even more.

Checking with the shop on a price for the 24 tomorrow.

I have a full set of the reissues, including a hard to find reissue 22 ride. I beat the hell out of them and I play classic rock. No issues in nearly 2 years of bashing.

F

Apparently, Soupy didn't read my entire response.

Sure did. For any cymbal, if you play it "in an appropriate way," it'll be fine, as "appropriate" would be different for every cymbal. I can only presume that you made this thread because you worry you're going to overplay the cymbals. So at the end of the day, do you want to adapt the cymbals to your playing, or your playing to the cymbals.

Sure did. For any cymbal, if you play it "in an appropriate way," it'll be fine, as "appropriate" would be different for every cymbal. I can only presume that you made this thread because you worry you're going to overplay the cymbals. So at the end of the day, do you want to adapt the cymbals to your playing, or your playing to the cymbals.

You have a valid point, but the Paiste are a softer metal than that of the zildjian and sabians. They do tend to suffer from edge dents if ill treated.

but the Paiste are a softer metal than that of the zildjian and sabians. They do tend to suffer from edge dents if ill treated.

Don't agree with the "softer metal" statement...I mean they're no softer any other make with the same composition...and the only Paiste's I know of that can suffer from edge dents are generally the cymbals that are extra thin, such as some of the extra thin crashes and splashes..and any other cymbal maker that produced cymbals of this thickness (or rather thinness) would/could suffer the same potential fate..

I bought the entire original set of reissue Paiste 602s and they are great. I was originally using them for Big Band and Jazz trio gigs and they worked great for that. I recently started playing with a pretty loud Classic Rock /Blues band and took the 602s out and they did fine.
The crashes cut nicely and never did I feel worried about cracking them ( i am not a cymbal breaker) , the hihats were nice and sizzly, in fact the bass player commented on this. The Medium ride is such a versatile ride and an equally great crash. These cymbals really surprised me at how well they could handle this gig. They would not have been my first choice usually, but after a few gigs with them, I won't hesitate to use them for just about any of my gigs.

Got a (really nice) price on the 24" 602 and have it on order.
They said more are being shipped in, but it could be a month or 2.
I'm in no dire "need", so a short wait is fine.

The 20 and 22" crashes sound awesome on the sound files too....I'm in trouble! :)

I love the 22" GB I use as a crash. Really smooth crash, and not overpowering. It's a 22, so it IS present within the music, but not brash, or "in the way" of anything else.

My ultimate "plan" (AKA "plotting") is to have a 20-22-24 602 set, with the 15" SE hats.
I have other stuff I can sell that I'm not using, so I'd not be going totally insane with the OOP, but it's almost like buying a small kit!

The GB's are pretty killer, but the 602 sound files are what cymbals sound like in my head, when I think about "a cymbal".
Clear, but great, easily attainable wash, smooth crash decay, present, responsive, and all sizes crashable without any weird gonginess.
Hey, I don't want much :)

I still like a darker cymbal here and there, but when I buy, I always go for the brighter sounding cymbals that aren't heavy, like Thins. Med Thins, Giant Beats etc... That's what I'm always drawn to when I'm playing.

It's funny that when I'm really getting to the "done" point of gear buying (know what I want, what I always go back to, get rid of the rest) these 602 cymbals come out with sizes I love to play.

Coming "full circle" because my 22" 602 was the first "real" cymbal I ever got (used, in 79 or 80).
I compared every other ride I ever bought to that 602's characteristics before I plopped down any dough.

I saw a few 22" 80's 602's on eBay...people are crazy on the prices!
Highest was $1,351.11 (where do they get the 11 cents????)
Another one was $800+

By the prices on the new 24, I'm getting an insane deal on the one I have ordered.

I put some more cymbals up for sale today. I haven't used them in a long time.
I still like them all, but they were great for what I was doing 9-10 years ago.
Now, they just sit. Not doing any good in a case.

I haven't been one to ever sell things before, but I'm clearing unused things out, and getting things I WILL play, which keeps the Out-Of-Pocket from being OOP!

I decided to go for a full set of 602's. 20-22-24 and 15" hats.
:)

602s are great. If you're coming from A Customs, I'd suggest doing what Vinnie did and going up a size for your crashes. An 18 and 20 would work well as all around crashes...

The new Formula 602 15" Med. Hi Hats sound so yummy to me. These would probably be my 'go-to' set of hats for a big band gig.
http://www.paiste.com/e/cymbals.php?category=3&family=26&action=category&menuid=345
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWgTwBLPA0Y

Those sound great!!
I just won (on eBay) a set of 15" Sound Edge 2002's the other day. I haven't had them before, but have liked the sound. Got them for a nice price on some basically brand new hats.

15" 602's are in the future as well, but probably the SE version.
These sound cool too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qd5seCDhj_o&feature=related

I played a 20" medium flat ride today... was real nice. Wish I could have taken it home.

I liked the 2002 hats alot more than the 602's though.

This thread is a little more than two years old so those of you who had just picked up 602s hopefully have plenty of feedback. I am a recent Paiste convert from Zildjian and am looking at some 602s in my set up, specifically 15" hats and a 24" ride. My crashes are 2002 18" and a GB Multi 20". My band plays classic and folk rock and we don't play out very often and never where it would need to be "loud". What are your thoughts on the 602s? Also, it appears the 15" SE 602s are no longer in production. Any thoughts why they have gone the way of the dodo?

Back