One man's trash is another man's...

MarbleGT

Happy Friday fellas. I don't post much, but I am guilty of lurking all of your threads...almost daily!

I'll try and let the pictures do the talking, but basically I stumbled on an uber-cheap ($50) OCDP snare local and jumped on it. Upon finding the CL ad and having the seller email me some pictures, I hopped on eBay and ended up finding an identical snare listed for almost $500. With this, I jumped on picking up the $50 drum and let the transformation begin. I know that OCDPs build quality has been questionable over the past few years, but I've always lusted for an Orange County snare ever since their debut...and for $50, I really couldn't help myself. After getting the snare home, I noticed some light scratches in the wrap and...well, the rest is history.

I greatly apologize for the iPhone progression pics, but as soon as the drum is complete I'll get some HQ photos. In hindsight, I wish I would've better documented this, but oh well. It's already looking remarkably better. I've ordered new heads, tension rods and a new throw off as I noticed a tiny bit of rust on the existing Trick throw off. I was able to polish off the lugs and get rid of any oxidation you may see in the first batch of pictures. I also ordered a set of die-cast rims, as I'd like to cut down on some of the ring...and I like them better. Although the ad says new snares are needed, they just weren't attached to the drum...it came with what looked like new Puresound snares.

CL Ad

1.jpg

Emailed Photos of Drum

3.jpg

4.jpg

eBay Auction of Similar Drum

2.jpg

Got it home!

5.jpg

Wrap Stripped, Glue Still on Shell

6.jpg

Sanding Inside & Out - I didn't notice any imperfections in the build quality.

7.jpg

As it sits now...3 coats of Tung Oil, one more thick coat tonight and then I'm going to let it dry for a few days. All the new hardware should be in within the next week or so.

8.jpg

Re: One mans trash, is another mans....

Nice find. It looks way better in re-finished wood, than the sparkle wrap.
You may find it also sounds different without a wrap.
I'm convinced that with different c/list finds, one can gradually assemble a pro level kit from pretty cheap purchases here and there.

Nice find. It looks way better in re-finished wood, than the sparkle wrap.
You may find it also sounds different without a wrap.
I'm convinced that with different c/list finds, one can gradually assemble a pro level kit from pretty cheap purchases here and there.

No joke!

You really have to look every day and not hesitate with what you find though.

Congrats. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Teaser

More to come on Tuesday when the rest of the gear comes in. I went with 2.3 Flanged hoops rather than die cast as posted above. It doesn't ring as much as I thought as it would.

1024x683.jpg

What a great job you've done there! Congratulations :) I think the chrome strainer looks way better than the black one, & you could probably sell the black strainer for close to what you paid for the snare!! Now that's a smart piece of refurb calma :)

What a great job you've done there! Congratulations :) I think the chrome strainer looks way better than the black one, & you could probably sell the black strainer for close to what you paid for the snare!! Now that's a smart piece of refurb calma :)

Thanks, man!

That is simply beautiful. It doesn't really make any sense, but my mouth started watering when I saw the finished pictures. Either I'm just hungry, or I have a drum-lust problem.

You and me both, my friend. If I can refurb a drum, anyone can. So easy.

Back