Al Jackson jr break in Turn You Loose. . . sounds simple . . .

Liebe zeit

Silver Member
. . . but it's driving me mad. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xEvsJtrl60

The thing he does at 2:02. I'm sure it's a straight 1, 2, 3, 4 followed by something like 1-e-&, 2, 3, 4 and repeat. But is it? I keep getting thrown off by the horns, or is it just slightly off the beat in some way?

I'm sure I'll get it down in the next few days, but if anyone has any experience/insight I'd be v pleased to hear it

Yeah, it sounds like the horn hits are coming on the off beats.

Just count along to it and you will eventually get it. Don't let the horns throw you off. Keep counting straight through; you will hear where the hits fall.

al_zps1b8e3de7.png

Yeah, the horns are hitting the off beats (one AND two AND three AND four AND)

Keep a strong sense of the quarter note through that bit and it should come together fairly easily :)

Yes.. I play that tune but twice as fast... Actually at 190 bpm. I start the little fills before the brass shots with a tom hit and snare rool -basically a six stroke roll :
T-s-s-s-s-S
Follwed by the shots played with an alternating chirping hihat and ghost snare hits
H-s-H-s-H-s-H-
Kind of like the shots in TOP What is Hip.

Man, is that hi-hat ride way up on the beat. But he holds it down with snare backbeats right where they belong. Most people play this song way too fast. Al gives it the drive without a crazy tempo. Lets Otis do his thing.

Currently I'm thinking I'll go with the horns on this. Get locked in with them on it

Just keep a couple things in mind.

Those hits come on the off beats, so don't get turned around.

That, and most horn players might not appreciate drummers who crash right in the middle of their playing.

I play the Blues Brothers version and as much as I like Otis .. The tempo seems slow and boring compared to the 'barn burner' version.. Steve Jordan is firing on all cylinders here:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vcCOPicVnnc

Even picking up the tempo on the original a bit would breathe some life into it.. As its still a great tune.

If you pick the tempo up you lose that Stax feeling though. But this song sounds good at many different tempos. I like all the versions, it depends on the vibe you want to create with it. Truly a versatile song.

Liebe the 3 note snare figure starts on the "and" of 4, like Jay wrote it.

You have to count it using at least 8th notes. You are basically accenting beat "1" (to set up the horn players) but you are "setting up the set up" with 2 - 16th notes preceding beat "1". That's the whole intention, setting up the horn figure. Al did stuff for a reason. I don't know if he played them hand to hand, he probably did at that tempo. A diddle and a rimshot work well too.

Last edited:
Just keep a couple things in mind.

Those hits come on the off beats, so don't get turned around.

That, and most horn players might not appreciate drummers who crash right in the middle of their playing.
Yeah, I've already changed my mind on that one :D

It's 1,2,3,4,

(then here comes the figure)

and - a - 1.

It's really a very standard figure, especially in horn bands.

Very useful. It's the classic set up.

Last edited:
Did you mean, "yes"?

I'm confused, where was the yes or no question? I meant what I wrote, not yes, because I don't recall an either/or question.

All we are really dealing with is the one bar before the horn figure, which is duplicated for the next 2 bars, giving you your 3 bar figure. Once you get the first bar, writing the other bars are redundant. You just repeat the one bar that contains the "and - a - 1" figure 2 more times.

Back