Snare crisis

Draw two of your snare (out of 8!) names out a hat and concentrate on those two. My head would spin with that many. Beautiful collection though!

Wrong topic title.
Should be "look at my snares collection". The first post has really nothing to do with whatever OP said afterwards.

Hi Tony
The most shallow snare is the acrylic Tom Cat which is "13x"5.
Paul

I was just wondering. Your collection looks loud, bright, and hard ... and I'd like to own a Nouveau myself. But the next snare on my 'gonna get' list is the 5" Cherry Bomb (by udrum).

"Sound" is such a subjective thing, can I ask:

What kind of music do you play? Who's sound do you like recorded? Who's sound do you like live and unplugged? Have you ever heard your snares from the front of your kit, unplugged, and then as mixed by someone other than your own sound guys? Maybe your snares are fine, and its the mix you're not down with? How regularly do you switch things up (wires, heads, hoops)? At some point even strainers and snare beds may need to be considered, as well as cut and taper of the beads? At that point, of course, lugs, washers rods, and finish (inside and out) become topics, yes?

Last question, of the snares in your collection - if you had to lose down to one single snare, which would it be and why?

Last edited:
Hi Tony
What a lot of questions. Truth to tell I don't analyse things in that much depth. Of the bands I am in one plays classic rock covers and the other plays jazz funk originals.
I have heard all my snares(I have many more than I have shown here) from "out front" and I always like how they sound recorded and mixed. We have an excellent front of house man.
Heads are changed about every six months or sooner if required, both batter and reso and wires about once a year.
All the best
Paul.

Back