Roland 9 k

roofusthebum

I live in an apartment now and want to buy an electric set, I have played the Roland td 9kx (the mesh heads) I loved it , but now I dont have a ton of money and am wondering if the roland td9 k, is worth buying, I know the mudule is the same but the rubber pads are the difference and also the snare looks different...
I dont want junk, is the differnece between the mesh and the rubber going to make the difference between worth getting and not??

I can get the roland k (rubber) for 1800 thats including taxes.

Thanks.

I don't have a 9 series, I have a TD-3 series with a mesh snare. Basically, the mesh is quieter and more "real drum head" like. The downside is that the mesh eventually will need to be replaced and also tightened. Personally, I don't mind the rubber pads at all.

More importantly for me is that the foot pedal pd-8 is terrible. It really disappoints me that roland doesn't ship vh-11s standard, for me, this the MAJOR difference.

I don't have the TD-9KX either (I own a TD-4KX), but I played a TD-9K once. The KX is equipped with the pads used on TD-12K. These pads are much more expensive than rubber pads hence big difference in prices of KX and K series. Correct me if I'm wrong, I think its snare pad can even sense the stroke's position and brush playing. Whether this difference is worth the price or not, I think it depends on how you play. As for me, I bought the TD-4KX just for practising so I don't care too much about position sensing, let alone brush playing as I don't use brushes anyway.

I agree with achdumeingute in these two things, the FD-8 hihat control is disappointing and mesh heads are quieter than rubber pads. But I'm afraid mesh heads aren't as durable as the rubber. I don't know for sure (hope I'm wrong), I'm afraid they can't withstand heavy hitters.

I wouldn't be so sure about the mesh heads failing, I've had a TD3 for nearly five years and the mesh on my snare hasn't needed to be replaced at all, I just tighten it occasionally, and I used to be a very hitter indeed. The only thing that has gone south is the hi-hat controller which I've had to replace once.

Personally I think the decision on what to get should be based on your environment. At the moment I'm living in apartments/flats where noise is a major concern, in which case the rubber pads are a bad choice because the sound carries quite a lot. If that's not a concern, ie. you don't have neighbors directly next to or below you, then the rubber pads are just fine.

Back