Drum solos

Therma lobsterdore

I'd like to get into soloing and phrasing in that sort of manner, so I'm wondering if anybody could recommend some intermediate level solo's that have a transcription? If there's a video of the original on youtube then that would be handy to.

I'd like to get into soloing and phrasing in that sort of manner, so I'm wondering if anybody could recommend some intermediate level solo's that have a transcription? If there's a video of the original on youtube then that would be handy to.

The thing about solos is that there's many different kinds. And the way a player solos is very personal. Some choose to just improvise different ideas around the kit, others like to play grooves and mix some fills in there, others like to have a specific structure. Some like to play in time, others prefer a free-form type of soloing, some solo with their hands, and so on. My personal choice, not solo. I find them boring, and a great audience turn off, I prefer to develop my ideas on the songs.
Why do you have a need to solo? In some styles (like jazz), a solo is a lot of times part of the melodic arrangement of the tune, but I don't see that as a real solo, it's working for the music, it's not a moment were the drummer is just playing a piece on it's own, purely composed of drumming.
All in all, if you just want to solo because other players do it, perhaps you should just keep working on other things, I mean, anyone who has been playing for a while can lay down some ideas they like with an improvised structure for 4 minutes and call it a solo; even though they never practiced soloing per se.
Hope that helped.

Fox.

Thanks Korompay, loads of tasty transcriptions in there!

Fox, I understand what a drum solo is and means, this is merely a technical exercise, nothing more.

Anywho thanks for the replies guys!

Back