My Sonor Safari kit with Custom Saluda Cymbals

Hey everyone, I've owned many vintage kits in my day and have enjoyed restoring and tinkering with old drums. However, in doing all this I neglected to play them much and had so many drums coming in and out it was difficult to maintain an entire kit worth of drums.
I saw the Sonor Safari kit online and it seemed to be the answer to all my problems. Pretty good quality, cheap, and simple. It's been a kit that has encouraged me to play alot more and tinker alot less.

z3imu.jpg

sm95ae.jpg

k1qt10.jpg

fk8pc9.jpg

2im2otj.jpg

a9skcx.jpg

The Specs are:
Drums:
14X5 Snare
10X8 Rack Tom
14X12 Floor Tom
16X16 Bass Drum

Cymbals:
12" Custom Saluda Diamond "Heavy Trashy" Hi-hats
18" Custom Saluda Definitive Jazz Crash/Ride
18" Custom Saluda Earthworks Flat Ride

Yes, all my cymbals are from a different Saluda line but they work well together. I am a big fan of the work they do at Saluda.

Hardware:
Vintage Pearl Speed Pedal Hit-hat
Vintage Japanese Flat based cymbal stand
Dynasty Snare Stand
Yamaha Cheapie Pedal (Works fine for Jazz)
Pearl Cymbal Arm

I really like vintage hardware, it's super light weight and I just like old things.
The pedal kind of sucks, but it works fine for jazz ghost notes and the occasional bomb. Doing hard rock beats is kind of tricky with it.

I love my cymbals. I learn towards small cymbals. The Crash/Ride has a great crash sound and has a good washy tone for slow jazz ride patterns.
The Flat ride has terrific stick definition and isn't papery, it's more like a ping flat ride. Very versatile, it works for jazz and rock beats.
I've had my hi-hats for a while. Jamie said he could try to make me heavy yet trashy hi-hats and they're a good combination of both, they're not papery sounding and have a solid bark and chick sound.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Nice set up.
I love my Safari, I play it once a week at jazz band practice.

Nice little setup.

And it looks like it'd be fun to play (except for the wood 'throne' - ha ha) .

Were the saludas made to your customizations? Give details please. :)

Indeed they were, all ordered at separate times.

My first Saluda cymbal order was for the hi-hats. I wanted a small pair of hi-hats that didn't sound sharp like a bell, but didn't sound papery. I asked Jamie to make me some "Heavy trashy hi-hats." He said it would be a challenge because it's kind of an oxymoron, but he pulled it off, I've had them for years and I love them.

My second was for the Definite Jazz crash/ride. I just wanted a trashy all-purpose cymbal. this was when the Definitive Jazz series first came out. I was excited about it and wanted to check it out. It is a great crash and is a little washy to be a ride, but it works well for slow jazz patterns.

My latest order, which was about a month ago was for the flat ride. I wanted a flat ride that didn't sound like a trash can lid, but also didn't sound too papery. I asked for a minimally lathed earthworks heavier flat ride. It really came out nice, it's surprisingly versatile. It's "pingy" enough to use in rock beats, but also works well for jazz patterns.

I recommend Saluda for anyone looking for some unique cymbals.

Back