Happy Christmas to me

skunkendilly

Hi Guy's
Just pulled the trigger on this lovely thing. Mapex Blaster "13 x & maple shell with walnut reinforcing rings. Before buying this I have had discussions and quotes from to custom drum builders in the uk for a similar specification drum and the prices were just silly. Particularly when one of them confided that all the parts were imported from Taiwan and most of the shells were Keller shells. Nothing wrong with any of that but the prices were outrageous.
Picked this bad boy and fitted Aquarian Power Dot batter and Aquarian High Performance snare head with Puresound wires.
It blows me away and exceeds anything I played and heard in the custom shops.
The hardware is fabulous and the strainer is smoother than a very smooth thing.
I am a big fan of Mapex.
Gigging this on New Years eve. Can't wait!
Skunk.

Attachments

• DSCN1334 (640x480) (3) (640x480).jpg
    DSCN1334 (640x480) (3) (640x480).jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 558
  • DSCN1335 (640x480) (2).jpg
    DSCN1335 (640x480) (2).jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 515
  • DSCN1336 (640x480) (3) (640x480).jpg
    DSCN1336 (640x480) (3) (640x480).jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 526
Glad you like it. I am also a big Mapex fan, especially Saturn's. I also have the Blaster and don't like it. It just seems way too ringy and open too me. But then I like a drier snare. Maybe I should try your set up. I know that many people really like the Blaster. So far it is not right for me. Need to play around with it a bit, and change some things.

Last edited:
Very nice SKD! The hardware really makes this drum a looker. Ive never seen one of those Aquarian resos before. I presume those white panels help with snare buzz? Do they interfere with sensitivity? I would like to try some Aquarian's one of these days.

Hi Ryan
The panels on the snare reso are supposed to give a little bit more protection if the wire becomes damaged. So it doesn't get punctured I guess. All I know is the drum sounds just fine with little snare buzz and no ringing overtones. It sure is loud and crisp though.
Skunk.

I had a Cherry Bomb, for a couple of weeks, and that was a beautiful sounding and looking snare. I will have to get another one in the future.

Congratulations on a very nice choice! That is a beauty. Yes - Happy Christmas to yourself....a very nice presant indeed.

Hi Guys
Played this snare last night and it was freaking fabulous.
Really loud with a lovely cut and great projection.
I am giving serious thought to marrying this drum-))
The gig was excellent and the band played to 1am and got two repeat bookings as well.
A very happy New Year to all my fellow drummers.
Skunk.

Congratulations on the upcoming nuptials. Have you spoken to the father of the drum yet?

Back