Wanton Recording comparison

Finally got to it. did 6 takes with no punch ins (don't know how to do it).

https://www.reverbnation.com/frankburnot/song/23869071-wanton-drummerworld-loop

gear stuff
Yamaha tour custom moto-x edition 12-16-24 with aquarian clear super2's,ps3 on the kick, nothing in it.
steve jordan snare (13x6'5 i believe) with aquarian hi energy on top, wood hoops
15 new beats.older zidjian 20" ride (no name on it),sabian 16 x20 ozone, zidlian 17K crash, el negro cowbell.

D6 on the kick, d6 on ft, d2 on rack tom, sm57 on snare , 1 overhead (audix adx51).
tascam us-1800 on a acer laptop (5733-4851).
cubase LE5 (what comes with the tascam).

took off some highs on the kick to make it less "clicky".
put a low pass filter on smare and removed the 449hz (-10db)
low pass filter on the overhead. compressor and gate on all .slight reverb on snare.

That sounds cool. I had never considered playing it in half-time. Nice!

Good Job drum4fun, Cool to hear different peoples interpretations.

Try not to laugh, chaps. Hey, I'm having a go... :)

http://youtu.be/NikKH8HNQsY

Setup:
MacBook Pro, GarageBand loop playing thru Bose Soundlink Mini.
Recorded using iPhone 6 and internal mic.

Try not to laugh, chaps. Hey, I'm having a go... :)

http://youtu.be/NikKH8HNQsY

You put it in the "comedy" category? You have a sense of humor!

Dude, nobody should laugh - that's a great effort. That's what I've always said about the DW forums - everyone should put up their playing (I totally encourage it) then we all know where everyone is coming from. Beginners, pros, everybody - post your playing! It takes tremendous courage to put yourself out there - but that's what it means to be a drummer, right?

And you have the right snare drum to boot!

You put it in the "comedy" category? You have a sense of humor!

And you have the right snare drum to boot!

YouTube defaults all my videos to comedy. I think someone on their team knows me.

Oh yes, I can't blame my dodgy playing on my kit, that's for sure.

:D

Hey, I'm having a go... :)
Exactly, & huge kudos to you! A great effort. You're feeling it with your opening fills :)

This thread is more about the sound than the playing anyhow, & considering your recording method, I think your result is very good. It's a pleasantly clean capture with all the detail crisply reproduced. Your drums are sounding just fine, & better prepared than many examples I've heard from so called more experienced drummers. Again, nice job!

Awesome! I was hoping you'd have a go at it.

Well, you know me. I'm always up for having a go.

Exactly, & huge kudos to you! A great effort. You're feeling it with your opening fills :)

This thread is more about the sound than the playing anyhow, & considering your recording method, I think your result is very good. It's a pleasantly clean capture with all the detail crisply reproduced. Your drums are sounding just fine, & better prepared than many examples I've heard from so called more experienced drummers. Again, nice job!

Thanks James. I may have another crack at it. Woke up at around 0300 thinking what I might do better with my playing. Truth be told I didn't realise it was more about recording than playing - I guess I should have read the other thread.

:)

"Especially for you Art, as you dared me, I've included a mad fill in 5 ;)"
Thanks Andy you're the Guru-viest guy I know. That's awesome (in 5/4 I have to count it) -but technically it doesn't qualify as one my mad fills because it is so tasteful and actually fits into the song (LOL). Solid performance still sounding great. I was telling my wife I discovered my drumming problem-I don't have any Guru-ve. Of course there is only one cure ;)

Attachments

• riff notation.jpg
    riff notation.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 209
Just bumping this thread to say this,
Come on guys!
We need more vids to make this project really cool.
Lets go, put up your vids!
I want to see a video from everyone here who can hold sticks.
Where are the ladies? Lets go girls. put some vids up.

No vid from Grunt? No vid from Bermuda?

Just bumping this thread to say this,
Come on guys!
We need more vids to make this project really cool.
Lets go, put up your vids!
I want to see a video from everyone here who can hold sticks.
Where are the ladies? Lets go girls. put some vids up.

No vid from Grunt? No vid from Bermuda?

I'll have mine up shortly. I'm sure Bo submit a video as he's the one that totally forced me to do this. ;-)

Back