Punk Drummer Sound Off!

SticksEasy

I don't think I've ever talked with a Punk drummer on these forums. So I just want to know how many of you Punk out when you have the option. I play anything from rock, to blues, and even country if I'm being paid good. But a good old fashioned quick step punk band always rises to the top of my list of projects.

A few of my influences (drummer) are: Brooks Wackerman, Longineu Parsons III, Josh Freese, and of course Buddy Rich.

Musically: Bad Religion, NOFX, The Vandals, Dag Nasty, and Rise Against.

I used to play quite a bit of punk. The Ramones, Sex Pistols, The Clash, Bad Religion, NOFX, Pennywise, Green Day, The Offspring, etc. They would often come out in the last set and things would get crazy. The fast stuff is hard to play!

I don't play much punk live any more but I played on the latest Quintessentials (kind of horror punk) release which is pretty cool.

Wouldn't call myself a punk drummer, as such. But I did a stint in a punk band for a while....a couple of light years ago now.

The driving high intensity of the gigs was great fun......watching those clowns smash themselves to oblivion at the front of the stage was even more fun. I never got it, but then again I never cared to. Too busy crying with laughter at the damage they caused themselves. Can't buy entertainment like that!!

Okay, I turned my sound off. Other than not being able to hear my music anymore, I don't see what this accomplishes.

I don't think I've ever talked with a Punk drummer on these forums....

Hi Sticks. I'm a punk drummer! Been in punk bands since '83! It's a blast! Some of my favorite punk drummers: John Wright (Nomeansno), Tim Solyan (Victim's Family), Chuck Biscuits, Robo, John Card, D.H. Peligro....

Not a punk drummer but played in a punky new wave band loooong ago. Love the ethos but never been much keen on punk music as such ...but I think it mixes well with other styles.

I grew up on punk rock, but was never really in a true punk band. My last band (in my sig) was based around a punk ethos but the music had more of a blues/grunge twang to it.

Here's one of our songs, it's about a d-bag who started his own church here in NZ and sucked in thousands of drones who believed his crap (contains language inappropriate for children or kittens) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBr0wZJQDH0

Bands I'm thrashing at the moment are Strike Anywhere and Propagandhi, who are super talented, check out this song - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yk9KmClxlM

I never cared much for punk until I heard Scratch Acid. Punk-fusion compared to most of what was going on at that time (mid-'80s) A lot of interesting stuff going on musically and just a really cool drummer (jazz guy with a bad temper). Huge influence on my playing and practically every band I've been in since has some of that element in it.

I grew up on Rancid, NOFX, Bad Religion, Thrice, Strung Out, the Vandals, AFI, etc. I am a newer school punk rocker at the heart and still jam out with some ex-band mates to our old punk stuff.

Brett Bradford....yeah, helluva drummer and a cool guy. Totally love Scratch Acid. I must've burned through 3 copies of that first record on Touch N Go.

I played in a couple original punk bands. We called it post-punk.

It was 10 years ago. Here's a few of our songs.

I like Sex Pistols, Ramones, Dead Kennedys, Black Flag, Circle Jerks, Decendants, Bad Religion, NOFX, etc.

I play in a punk/hardcore band. Sounds like this --> http://youtu.be/tdZXjzWSZOU

I have a lot of fun playing with this band because they're my best friends. However given my recent fascination with jazz and improvised music, I do not know for how long I'll be able to keep it up. The guys have already started to notice that my playing sounds somewhat different, though I can still pull off the live gigs no problem.

I play in a punk/hardcore band. Sounds like this --> http://youtu.be/tdZXjzWSZOU

I have a lot of fun playing with this band because they're my best friends. However given my recent fascination with jazz and improvised music, I do not know for how long I'll be able to keep it up. The guys have already started to notice that my playing sounds somewhat different, though I can still pull off the live gigs no problem.

Orelay pues! Me gusto, vato.

I dig that! Cool track. The chorus parts have hints of Dropkick Murphs.

Hey man, thanks! It was a pretty fun one to play live, especially the fill leading into the last section. I did a lot of the structure/arrangement stuff and I'm quite proud of that one. Unfortunately the recording doesn't really as much energy as I would have liked, but I guess that's always the case.

Brett Bradford....yeah, helluva drummer and a cool guy. Totally love Scratch Acid. I must've burned through 3 copies of that first record on Touch N Go.
Rey Washam is a badass drummer. Ever hear him on Filth Pig from Ministry? He was in Tad for a tour and I saw him twice on that. Cool stuff. Anyway, Scratch Acid's done two reunions in the last several years and I got to see them both times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O646roHkpvM&feature=relmfu

Back