Marco Minnemann

i just watched his dvd with a friend and i am speechless, he has everything that has to do with drumming, well, mastered.

Didn't want to start a new thread but I wanted to read through and see what everyone has said about Marco.

He is hands down my favourite drummer. His groove, independence, and chops have a very unique feel to them.

He has a new DVD out now, called "The Marco Show" I ordered an autographed copy off of his website, I can't wait to get it!

late answer, but...

I'm sure it has more to do with distribution and marketing than anything else.
Yeah, you're right. The main thing of his change was, that Marco wanted to get more possibilities in the US. He thougt Zildjian could more offer over there than Meinl. Had nothing really to do with the "sound".

Marco kills Donati. Marco kills Lang.
But Donati's technique is some steps higher. The benefits of Marco are timing and tightness, especially on his DVD "Extreme Drumming". I think the musicality in Marco's drumming arised first the last years, and is still developing. Even 4-5 years ago, it was not interesting for me in this direction.

Btw. as far as I know Marco and Virgil share a rehearsal room in LA.

marco is an really awesome drummer....i bought his dvd "extreme drumming", too and after i watched it, i was down^^ he's incredible fast and very "interdependent"^^

Hmmm, I'm confused. In early 2004 I saw Marco do a clinic in LA and it blew me away, not just for the undeniable speed and independence, but because his 15-minute solo made a whole lot of musical sense. He worked through a number of modern styles like house and drum n' bass, and utilised his immense technique to play a whole series of awesome grooves that sounded like 3 guys grooving hard together. It made me want to dance, and at the end I leapt off my feet to give a standing ovation, something I do extremely rarely. When I got back to the UK and discovered Drummerworld I checked out the Marco clips here and was disappointed: I couldn't hear any of the magic that I remembered from that evening. And now with these latest clips, I'm disappointed further: no satisfying grooves, nothing that seems to mean anything. Marco's playing like so many of these other chops monsters these days - seemingly hitting drums in whichever way takes his fancy irrespective of whether it sounds good, playing fast doubles between hands and feet on different surfaces for no real purpose...

I look forward with nervous anticipation of this supposedly great and musical performance of Lang with Louis Conte that's coming our way soon. Please, please let it be true. Someone with these immense chops needs to show the others the right direction to take them in.

I just started my first lesson with Marco today. A very DOWN TO EARTH GUY- nice guy all around. He is amazing.

I remember Zeldman doing this crazy independence stuff back in '89. He is truly an unsung giant of a drummer. Whatever happened to him? I'd heard some pretty bad things.

I'd love to see him playing alongside Marco now. That would be SCARY!!!

Hi i am new to this site . I can say that Mr Zeldman is alive and kicking big time in London village U.K.
I have been studying with him for almost a year . The guy is phenomenal , his interdependence is in no way inferior to the above mentioned masters , his groove is HUGE should he be in funk mode . The stuff he has demonstrated in the practice room to me has not been witnessed by many , that you tube clip just does not do his playing any justice at all . I have to say the playing of Lang etc is awesome on one level but leaves me cold on another , Pete Zeldman however imbibes his playing with a massive dose of spirit , some thing undefinable . certainly not cold . I spent a long time considering my next teacher and he won . any way this whole argument about who is best or fastest is rubbish , what has that got to do with music and emotion...

Ohhh is Zeldman taking in new pupils in london? Cause I'm in need of a new teacher at the moment.

Have any of you listened to Illogicist's new album 'The insight eye'? It has Marco on drums, it's a nice slice of technical death metal. Marco doesn't go completely crazy at any point though, but he does play very well throughout the whole album.

My favorite of the "technical" drummers, (Lang,Donati,Mangini) his drumming seems to fit his personality, very eccentric and fun. I've seen some of his extreme drumming dvd. Seems pretty cool, I enjoy instructional videos that encourage you to be creative, try new things. Rather than the average improve your speed, improve your technique fare. I really like him, hope to see more cool stuff from him in the future.

So I'm watching this TV show about Miles Copeland putting together a Police cover band to tour and he's auditioning all these drummers who are average semi pro's at best and then this "guy from Germany" shows up and it's Marco and of course he absolutely blows everyone away and gets the gig...he is so obviously in another league altogether. So Miles books them in this 1000 seat hall for their first gig and like 70 people show up. I just couldn't comprehend why Marco was pursuing this gig..........it was so obviously a step down for him.

Anyone else see that..........?

i just recently got into marco's playing, through his work with paul gilbert....the dude is amazing....can't be a slouch when you are playing with dudes the calibre of mr.gilbert..........

Agreed. Gilbert's "Burning Organ" is a fantastic record. Marco really shines in certain spots, and while we all know what he can do, he chooses to hold back and play for the song on most occasions. These are accessible pop/rock tunes with enough notes for the shredders to enjoy.

So I'm watching this TV show about Miles Copeland putting together a Police cover band to tour and he's auditioning all these drummers who are average semi pro's at best and then this "guy from Germany" shows up and it's Marco and of course he absolutely blows everyone away and gets the gig...he is so obviously in another league altogether. So Miles books them in this 1000 seat hall for their first gig and like 70 people show up. I just couldn't comprehend why Marco was pursuing this gig..........it was so obviously a step down for him.

Anyone else see that..........?

I didn't believe this at first, but he's on their website and everything. So is Taylor Hawkins. I don't get it. It really does seem like a step down.

I just got home from the Marco Minneman / Johnny Rabb clinic here in Winnipeg and have a few words to say about.

1. The clinic was hilarious, a ton of laughter from the audience, a lot of it from the hilarious samples Marco and Johnny were using, not to mention the Life of Brian video segment that Marco was drumming along to.

2. The dynamics that these 2 gentleman displayed was outstanding

3. I have seen a fair share of drum clinics, but this was the first one I have attended where my jaw was locked in the open position, with drool puddles forming on my shirt.

Amazing presentation from these 2 guys and my brain is still trying to interpret the display of drumming I have just witnessed.

Over a year with no Marco posts? Not cool.

I am loving the Paul Gilbert CD "Space Ship One". Marco is SLAMMING on that one. Now it's obvious I must go buy "Burning Organ" too. But I just did an Amazon.com order... what to do... what to do...

I'm thinking that Marco Minnemann needs a lot more attention.

I just attended a drum clinic put on by Marco in Duluth, GA on March 4th, and I could not believe what I saw. I don't know why he's not more well known (heck, even I hadn't heard about him that much), but he is very much a world-class drummer, no question.

Since there hasn't been much action in this thread, I thought Marco should be given his due. I wrote an article detailing the clinic that Marco put on. I think you'll enjoy the details, and make sure you don't miss him in case he comes near you either via a band or a clinic.

Drum Clinic - Marco Minnemann

Marco is now on my short list of favorite drummers, and he's a great guy to boot!

I had never really heard about him before the dream theater audition videos, he seemed super nice and relaxed in them, not to mention crazy good (as evidenced by the various youtube videos of him I found later on), very cool!

I found a copy of "THE MARCO SHOW" on evilBay for cheap and bought it.

I'm so glad I did.

That's not a DVD. It's an experience!

I saw Marco in clinic maybe 10 years ago in some music shop in southern Indiana. I was amazed by his chops, but thought his musicality was a little wanting.

No more. He's not a smooth jazz dude by any means, but he's murdering the technical stuff with ease and he's (IMO) far more musical than he was a decade ago.

Simply an amazing musician. Think of where he'll be in another 10 years!

I only wish I could have caught him with Adrian Belew's band last year. Too scary a thought!

Now I only have to buy a ticket to see him with Bryan Beller and Guthrie Govan in Chicago in October!

I like Marco Minneman. Listening to his music is like listening to a drum machine at a high rate of speed. I do prefer Thomas Lang though. I would have liked to see Marco or Thomas chair the drum throne from Dream Theater, Mangini is awesome, but would have liked to see one of the other 2 make it though.

Back