Yamaha Drums

What the hell!? Its the wrong way round!

:p

How do they sound? Although I think they may get sued as thier stamping of logos is very familiar =D

Went shopping this month :D:

316637255.jpg

3 Amedia cymbals (15'' Shaban Classic crash, 16'' Trace Raw Rock china, 17'' Vigor Rock crash (used as crash/ride when used with the HipGig)

10 pair of new sticks (Balbex German 5B Hickory)

1 pair of Floppy sticks (Balbex Fs5)

Yamaha 13x6,5 Birdseye Maple prototype snare

316182042.jpg

316182041.jpg

Vintage practice/HipGig set (16''x14'' kick, 10x3,5 tom, 12x3,5 tom, 13x3,5 tom/snare, 13x3,5 tom/snare)

HS650 hihat stand (for the HipGig)

Dtx 2.0 module

TP65 triggerpad

Ordered:
Yamaha Hex Rack
Dt-20 triggers

(if anybody got more information about the vintage set, please let me know :D)

Last edited:
Wow I haven't seen one of those Hip Gig practice kits in years! They used to have two of them at my drum school.

And did you fancy them?

Hum... For what there were I found them to be interesting kits. They were the first real practice kits I ever saw at the time - I do not remember seeing anything like them at the time. I must admit that I don't remember that much since it was 8 years ago...

What's you opinion on them?

Okay, Yamaha devotees, I need help with a decision.

Which snare to get? For a mix of funk/blues, but with the ability also to cover jazz:

1. Yamaha David Garibaldi Sig. snare, 3.5x14 brass

2. Pearl Free Floating 3.5x14 brass (cheaper in cost but just as good as DG sig.??)

3. Sonor Delite 4.25x14 maple (most pricey of the four)

4. Tama Starclassic Maple 4x14

A colleague of mine who plays professionally and has worked in drum retail for several years (pretty smart, knowledgeable guy about drum construction) told me yesterday that the Sonor was a far better choice than the Garibaldi. (He argued for a 5x14 Sonor Delite brass instead of the Garibaldi sig.) I had to swing this opinion by my fellow Yamaha supporters for your input.

The sound I'm after, if my description above is too generic, is perhaps best captured in Stanton Moore's playing and "Zigaboo" Modeliste's playing. Stanton uses 4x14 Dunnett or Craviottos (i.e., out of my price range) and Zigaboo seems to be currently using a 5/5.5x14 DW maple.

Note: I own a Tama Stewart Copeland sig. snare, 5x14 chrome over brass, just as an fyi so as to avoid sound reproduction.

Thanks!

Okay, Yamaha devotees, I need help with a decision.
Which snare to get? For a mix of funk/blues, but with the ability also to cover jazz:

Robert, you are not going to believe that I'm saying this ( I'm having a hard time believing it myself ) , but the TSCmaple snare is a hell of a snare. Very versatile, great cut & warmth with very good dynamics..

Last edited:
Aydee: yes, I've heard the same thing about Tama SC maple snares. Hence my dilemma! I'm also leaning towards the Tama, and the price is less than the DG snare, which doesn't hurt.

Yes, every now and then I too find myself straying from Yamaha...

Try the Wolfgang Haffner

Mann wat a snare.

13x6,5

Ive heard it on the Groove Night in Frankfurt, and it was by far the best sounding snare of all the drummers.

I had the garibaldi 2 times, but sold it everytime because its so not universal (to bad because it looks great)

Now I have more snares so a brass piccolo is ''one of the guys'' on the shell.

just went back from a recording session for Wu Tang Clan's Hell razah here in Amsterdam.

I used the kick from the hip gig with the 10'' and 14'' oak toms (more sustain than the HipGig toms)

Dark pictures from the studio :p

247599051_5_L3H4.jpeg

247599053_5_CWDO.jpeg

247599055_5_KwnS.jpeg

247599052_5_ALDB.jpeg

Oh and I made some pictures of the kit ouside the drumroom:

317412039.jpg

317412033.jpg

Last edited:
Robert, you are not going to believe that I'm saying this ( I'm having a hard time believing it myself ) , but the TSCmaple snare is a hell of a snare. Very versatile, great cut & warmth with very good dynamics..

Well, I went ahead and took a plunge: bought a used 4x14 Tama SC Maple snare that looks to be in good condition. I'll let you know how it performs once it shows up.

Well, I went ahead and took a plunge: bought a used 4x14 Tama SC Maple snare that looks to be in good condition. I'll let you know how it performs once it shows up.

Good job! If the bearing edges are in good shape, it will knock your socks off! lemme know how you make out.

I absolutely LOVE the Red finish on the Oak Custom series. I don't know any manufacturer who offers that special deep red finish.

That colour alone is a reason for getting a set of Oak Customs before they'll stop to produce it.

@MusiQmaN

Thanks. I got the Bamboo snare for €250,- used. I like to sell stuff and get new instruments but that Bamboo snare is a keeper! Really fantastic.

@Guillermo

That was a Big Band setting, so I prefer my MCA over my Recording Custom. We played some Latin stuff, so I added the 10" tom. I totally trusted the technician to place the BD mic where it is.

I considered to sell that set for several times, but it's always great to be able to change tunings in several minutes. There probably are many sets who sound better but there are very few sets with that combination of versatiliy, great craftmanship, best hardware on the market and awesome look.

@gconyers

Thank you as well. I changed the front head mostly to get another sound, but I have come to the conclusion that it looks much better than the standard black resonant head.

ATB
Daniel

Good job! If the bearing edges are in good shape, it will knock your socks off! lemme know how you make out.

The snare arrived today:

It is tuned badly with awful Remo CS heads. I am going to put an Aquarian Modern Vintage on it soon--and will verify the edges then. The snare looks to be in very good shape, plus Tama is no longer offering Starclassic Maple snares in 4x14 size. Didn't cost that much either. Hopefully, it will prove to be a good find!

Back