Cajon players - rock back or hunch over?

Kato10

Just wondering how many of you guys rock the cajon back for a more upright playing position and how many just leave it flat on the floor and hunch over to play it. My Schlagwerk bass cajon actually has little rockers, like a rocking chair, and it is super comfy to play. My new Kopf does not of course and I'm having a hard time getting comfortable with it.

Also anyone that has tried something different like playing with a cajon stand either seated or standing, or using any other device to tilt the cajon...I'd love to hear your experiences.

You should never hunch over anytime, anywhere (unless your dad was a Tyrannosaurus Rex, then you've got issues). Posture is so important and when you crush your midsection your energy falls into yourself rather than project forward. You are a satellite dish. Don't aim at the ground but rather at the target- your audience.

Mine has the standard 1 inch rubber feet. I almost always rock back and balance on it when playing. Less hunching, and it's designed for that, so it's comfortable for me.

Most of my cajon playing is done on an LP slant-front cajon, but even still, I tend to rock it back. Even less stooping for me.

My cajons have the standard little rubber feet, and I always rock it back until I'm nearly at the tipping point... Then, I really make sure that my chest is kinda puffed out, my back has got a nice and comfortable curve to it, and try not to reach too deep down onto the face of the cajon.... If you're doing it right, you can go for hours... ;)

When I started playing my cajon I decided it would be more comfortable for me to sit on a chair and tilt it back between my legs. I also feel that it sounds better without me sitting on it.

Attachments

• winery triple play 004.JPG
    winery triple play 004.JPG
    314 KB · Views: 287
When I started playing my cajon I decided it would be more comfortable for me to sit on a chair and tilt it back between my legs. I also feel that it sounds better without me sitting on it.

On a completely unrelated note: Are you in a band with your twin brother?

Sitting on a chair! Of course! So obvious, it never occurred to me. Thanks for the great idea, John Gerrard.

I hate playing these things mostly because they're so uncomfortable for me. Obviously, it's on me for not having come up with a better way to position myself. The chair idea will fix that for me now.

John, I actually tried that with my drum throne last night and loved the sound and playing position. I did seem to have an issue with the cajon moving on me, but I was on a slick floor. Looks like you have a little rug under it or something. Do you find you need to sort of clamp down with your legs to keep it in place? I really like this idea of sitting on something else like you are doing since I'll be playing 3 hour long sets. Any other tips or thoughts on playing this way?

Thanks!!

Naigewon, No he's not even related.

Kato10, I'm using a small piece of plywood with a non skid material attached to. Usually no problems with it slipping. I can also hook my feet under the front of it. I think you will have better luck with a chair with a straight front to it instead of your round throne. Just tilt the cajon back with the top edge of the cajon against the front of the chair. Best of luck. John

Thanks so much John. I see what you mean about the chair versus throne. My throne is actually the bicycle seat type which is even worse about sticking out front too far. I'll try a basic chair out tonight at rehearsal. Thinking about trying this thing as well.

Attachments

• Throne-cajon-ovisolution_280-eng.jpg
    Throne-cajon-ovisolution_280-eng.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 286
They are hand made in Italy by a gentleman named Ovidio Venturoso. He starts on mine this week. I'll let you know how it turns out. About $260 shipped UPS from Italy.

Just a quick update. Been using the Ovi Solutions PRB Throne (pictured in my earlier post) and it is just amazing. So much more comfortable than sitting on the cajon. Access to the playing surface is much easier and the drum actually sounds better. I'll never play the cajon without one of these again.

Ovidio makes these by hand to your specs and turn around is pretty quick. Of course shipping from Italy to the US was a little expensive.

http://www.ovisolution.com/eng/

Back