Most Under-rated Drummers

Dill X said:
Guys like: Will Champion from Coldplay, Larry Mullin Jr. from U2, Fab Morretti of The Strokes, and Rob Bourdin (sp?) from Linkin Park

Rob Bourdin deserves to be unrecognized. I think Sean Kinney is way underrated.

- Marc

Jeremy Taggart.

This guy is a sensational drummer. Anybody who has listened to his earlier stuff should certainly agree. Naveed and Happiness is not a Fish That You Can Catch are just two of Our Lady Peace's albums that showcase some of the best of this guys abilities. Jeremy applies a deep understanding of Jazz principles to his drumming. I think it's awesome. Just check it out and tell me you don't agree that he is greatly underestimated.

Jeff Burrows of Tea Party (RIP, One of the greatest canadian bands ever) is pretty damn under-rated. A great rock drummer.

jerome dillon (former drummer of nine inch nails) is a severly underated drummer. the way he has transformed nin's heavy electric sound into live sets is amazing, and i think he would be a great addition to this amazing website!!

Hi guys, back on the kit after many years away.

Don't want to be a "neg-head" BUT, are you sure about these Larry Mullin props?

Personally, when ever I see U2 I can't help thinking that there goes one lucky guy! (apart from having to stand in deserts alot and not smiling). "Lumpy" is the word that springs to mind.

Anyway, what do I know. That Primus drummer sits nicely in the back but sounds vibrant, and, err, Steve Jansen of Japan (inspirational) and say, maybe Budgie from Siouxsie and the Banshees (too cool) to name a few of the top of my head . . .

Oh yeah, and that guy out of BATTLES, new form creativity that is PART of the overall sound NOT sticking out

randy cooke......canada's best kept drumming secret.....

god, i can't even think of all the artists he's played with.....but here's the ones off of the top of my head....kim mitchell....rik emmett....lee aaron....beveley mahood....long john baldry....hilary duff.....kelly clarkson....the pointer sisters....figgy duff......andy curran.....honeymoon suite......

he's got a resume as long as your arm and mine put together

probably someone like travis barker or joey jordison....? but seriously, larry mullen may not play the most complex riffs but hes no meg white, listen closley to some of his stuff as he started of pipe drumming so its a heavy influence in his playing. also rob bourdon - linkin park is a bit of the same, just keeps it simple, but then again he wouldnt be with that big of band if he was crap.

Bob Burns, eloqunt, musical, stylisc, and rocks! (Sweet Home Alabama)

Last edited:
Mr. Chris said:
Larry Mullen's a competent drummer, but really, anyone can cover his stuff. The guy with Coldplay gets better with each album and the guy with Linkin Park is good too. But they're all well known. For a seriously underrated drummer here's someone you've probably never heard of: Gary Mallaber. Check out his discography! Some classic stuff there.

gary mallabar....good call......he played some the most memorable drum parts ever!!

listen to " swingtown" or " take the money and run"......or that big broken crash cymbal in " rock'n' me" by the steve miller band.......

i had totally forgotten about him....tasty player..........

Re: Underrated Drummers

JPDrum said:
Bob Bemberg from Supertramp. ...

Nigel Olsson from Elton John's early days.

J P Lapp

Yeah, you never really think of guys like that! What about the guy from Billy Joel's early stuff (is it Liberty DeVito?). Didn't the Supertramp drummer sing as well?

And what about both of Tom Petty's drummers (or did I already mention them). Steve Ferrone is the poster-drummer for underrated drummers.

As for Larry Mullen Jr. Does he play on the version of "One" by Mary J. Blige? I think that is a really good drum part, but I dont' know if it is him or Mary J.s session drummer.

Re: Underrated Drummers

foursticks said:
nick mason and mick fleetwood, both great drummers but waay too under-rated IMO
i was just thinkin about mick fleetwood being not necessarily underrated, but maybe just not heard of really, he is a tremendous drummer, plays exactly what the song needs, just no one maybe listens to enough mac? i dunno, i love them though. nick masoin must be underrated though...who does he drum for?
tj

Nick Mason = Pink Floyd. Great guy, good, good drummer. Restrained enough on his big kit, perfect for the Floyd.

Mediocrefunkybeat said:
Nick Mason = Pink Floyd. Great guy, good, good drummer. Restrained enough on his big kit, perfect for the Floyd.

I remember seeing him in an ad, think he'd changed to DW, it was the biggest kit i'd ever seen, yet i'm struggling to recall ever hearing him play a chop. He's certainly never been guilty of overplaying. I agree that, as a member of possibly the biggest band of all time, he's grossly 'under-recognised'. Grew up in Dell Quay, my neck of the woods, cheers to that.

I would say Chad Kent is the most underrated drummer I know....well I guess I can't say I've heard anything bad about him, just that noone has really heard of him to say anything other than fans of Atomship.

I really like Chimaira's 2 drummers, especially the one off of their self titled album. Heard good things about him once or twice on this forum, and thats about the end of what I've heard of him.

I guess my guys arent underrated, just not talked about more or less.

icystyck said:
I always thought Manu Katche was a pretty under-rated drummer, he has a great style and never got the credit he deserves for his work with sting.

Nice choice...He sounded really nice on that "Burnin for Buddy" CD...

Sonny Emory - anyone who has gone to PIT in Hollywood can tell you how good he is....
He can groove - has tremendous chops and alot of flash and stick-twirlin...Unfortunately he mostly a studio muscian so hes kinda a secret to most....

jonescrusher said:
I remember seeing him in an ad, think he'd changed to DW, it was the biggest kit i'd ever seen, yet i'm struggling to recall ever hearing him play a chop. He's certainly never been guilty of overplaying. I agree that, as a member of possibly the biggest band of all time, he's grossly 'under-recognised'. Grew up in Dell Quay, my neck of the woods, cheers to that.

I have almost the entire Pink Floyd catalogue. No, he never once plays what I regard as a 'chop'. He uses the whole kit, definately, but never ad nauseam or in extremis. He's a good guy too, signed his book to me personally and has a good head on his shoulders. Musical, tasteful and everything I'd ever aspire to be in a drummer. Simple parts, played well.

Pete Thomas from Elvis Costello's band the Attractions....

Listen to the song "B Movie" from the album Get Happy to get a glimpse into what this guy is capable of........

Actually the whole band that Costello had back in the day just rocked.............

What about Jon Fishman of Phish? I know there's a stigma of negativity around endlessly touring jam bands like Moe, the Dead and Phish, but for some of us, it's not just the "scene" that draws us in...

(it's the music)

Check him out on tracks like "Guyute", "David Bowie" or "Reba". Ridiculous time changes, subtle fills, light, but articulate use of a very diverse kit. Oh yeah, some people love him on "YEM" too. In the pocket, check our his funky grooves on tracks like "Ghost", "Momadance" and "Sand". What? He can do superb bluegrass, reggae, and jazz too? You bet.

Aside from Phish, he sometimes also tours and records with the Jazz Mandolin project.

J

Back