Had a bit of GAS over the weekend (new snare)

TColumbia37

Silver Member
I had worked a day of overtime last week, and when my check rolled around this week, that extra worked allotted me just enough to afford the snare I had my eye on, so I (reluctantly) pulled the trigger

It's a 13x7 Little Squealer, vented model, birch AND maple, according to the tag. I was surprised by the finish once I looked at it up close. It's what they call "High Gloss Metallic Gray Laquer". It's a beautiful deep gray sparkle paint job. I don't usually like sparkles, but this is the perfect type of sparkle finish for me. It's not overbearing and glittery. There's just some cool reflectiveness in the correct lighting. In most light, it just looks black. I've never really liked the lugs that Pork Pie uses, but it being all chrome hardware, with chrome vents, it really looks great.

PorkPie_zpscfcedd1f.jpg

The build quality seems great so far, though I've only had it for a couple of days. I've heard of some people having problems with this specific throw-off, but even if I have to replace it, I think I will still have gotten more than my money's worth out of it.

On to the sound

At the store, it just sounded pretty okay, but I could definitely hear the potential. I think we all know that the associates at GC aren't always the best at tuning the equipment. Me being me, and not wanting to be too loud, tweaked the tuning a little, gave it a couple of whacks, and said "I want it."

After I got it home, I tuned it up just how I like it, and loosened the snares, as they were choking out the tone a little, and I was REALLY impressed with this thing. HUGE crack, with a very full body, and just the perfect amount of sustain. I soon realized what my Mapex snare was lacking all along: sensitivity. Ghost notes on this thing sound amazing. I set up a single SM57 on the top head, and just the dry signal coming in sounded just as good (if not better) than hearing it in person. I wasn't expecting something at this price to impress me so thoroughly, and that's with the stock heads and snares. Pork Pie really has great value in their snares.

I'm very happy with my purchase, and I can't wait for my next paycheck, so I can replace the heads and snares, and I certainly can't wait to take it to a practice session or a gig, and see what it can REALLY do.

Last edited:
13x7 is my favorite size!

ive tapped this snare at my local GC a couple of times. they do sound good

Back