shoes for double pedaling

ecpietscheck

hi guys!
i was just wondering what shoe brand do you use for practicing and playing double pedal?
i personally use vans authentic s
thnakyou!

I just use some vans or any kind of skater shoe. I've found out that flip flops do not work as shoes for drumming also.

I posted this today on another thread. I love these shoes. The whole "rock" thing Bob talked about in the video is all personal. My running shoes were uncomfortable on the pedals. These are flexible and really hug your feet from day 1. I run regularly and wear running shoes. They need to be broken in....these are ready to "ROCK" from the day you put them on.

http://www.drumshoes.com/

I posted this today on another thread. I love these shoes. The whole "rock" thing Bob talked about in the video is all personal. My running shoes were uncomfortable on the pedals. These are flexible and really hug your feet from day 1. I run regularly and wear running shoes. They need to be broken in....these are ready to "ROCK" from the day you put them on.

http://www.drumshoes.com/

Do you run for the sake of your health,

or to help your double bass playing?

As I posted in the other thread, I personally wear whatever shoes I happen to be wearing that day, although I gravitate towards low-top, thinner-soled shoes for best performance.

The best shoe for drumming is akin to the best drumstick - it will be different for everyone. It depends on what meets your needs. I would imagine a shoe for double bass drumming would be light, breathable, and flexible. However, plenty of metal drummers wear boots while playing. It all depends on what you feel comfortable with.

I use a single pedal but add a lot of fancy hi-hattery so the left foot is always working. When I started I wore Chuck Taylor's or generic canvas sneakers and now I wear them whenever I practice or gig, it's sort of become my look.

I would like to learn to play double bass in cowboy boots, it's a classy look.

hey guys ive been drumming for about 10 years now and i find that the best way to drum and have a good consistent bass pedal rythem is bare foot no shoes it just makes it harder to play

Typically I wear no shoes, just socks. But it can make it slippery sometimes, so I take the sock off and just go barefoot. But if my feet are dry, they'll slip, too. I have been wearing my regular tennis shoes lately, because I think the added weight helps my double pedal speed, which needs it. Plus, it's more consistent than barefoot as I mentioned earlier. My main issue is that i wear a 15 shoe, so with shoes on, It's hard to do heel-toe. My heel is on the floor behind the pedal. Alos, I was at a show and the drummer was wearing those water shoes- I think they're called aquasocks(?). He played double real well. I may try that.

As long as shoes feel comfortable and have plenty of grip, I really don't think it matters. However as I found out not so long ago, shoes with no grip due to overuse will make your playing suffer as your feet will slide all over the pedals.

Chuck Taylors, yo, but I've played in 3" tall Creepers, Dr Martens, Vans, Jesus sandals, barefoot, socks, cowboy boots, and of course my BADARSE Lion Slippers!

Attachments

• lion slippers.jpg
    lion slippers.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 11,413
i find that any lightweight shoe that doesn't constrict the ankles is generally pretty good for double kick drumming. nike janoski skate shoes are a bit more supportive than vans, while still being lightweight - i reccommend those.

Don't forget to check playing barefoot, you might like it - there's no more direct playing feel. Footwear provides more power/loudness and also some stabilizing effect for the ankles though (at least that's my experience).

If you prefer footwear - some shoes might have too much grip on the sole which isn't that beneficial for e.g. swivel technique.

Converse Chuck Taylor All Star high tops:
Converse+Allstar+Black.jpg

The high-tops support my ankles, and the thin rubber sole helps me feel and grip my pedals perfectly. And they look awesome too, which is great for live playing.

I play barefoot when I can, shoes make it harder to do any toe-strokes. I did get Vans though, and that made it a bit easier.

Back