Urgent tuning help needed

805Drummer

Gold Member
I just brought home a Remo Emperor clear for my 13" birch 805 tom, because I've come to love the sound of them. But here's the problem:
My tom has this PDP mount on it! You can see what it looks like in this picture:
pdp-805-white.jpg

There are rubber gaskets holding all but two of the eight lugs in, cradling it, in a way.
The problem is that when I tried tuning it, the gaskets (or whatever you call them) got in the way, and they were pressing very hard against the lugs (and the things the lugs go into...my mind is blank).

I hope I described it well enough, but it makes it very hard to tune!

What should I do? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated...now my Ebony Pinstripes sound dull compared the the Emperor, the problem is that it won't tune right...

I have a PDP kit with those mounts as well. The rubber does rub a little but its not a problem for tuning. If the pressure is too great, you may need to apply just a little pressure to bend the mount in a tiny amount to match the circumference of the drum. Be very careful though as I have never heard of this being a problem.

I have a PDP kit with those mounts as well. The rubber does rub a little but its not a problem for tuning. If the pressure is too great, you may need to apply just a little pressure to bend the mount in a tiny amount to match the circumference of the drum. Be very careful though as I have never heard of this being a problem.

The rubber's not rubbing a bit, though. It's flat out pushing the lugs out diagonally, which I think is preventing me from tuning properly.

i had the same problem.
this is what i did.

I looked on your thread, and the pictures seemed kind of unclear. I took some pictures that I'm posting on this thread is about 30 seconds, and it's probably the same thing. But bending it isn't doing anything...or do I actually have to remove the entire mount from the drum?

Pic0557.jpg

This is the mount pressing on the lug.

Pic0558.jpg

When I push back the mount, the lug rests straight, how it should be, and you can even see a dent in the mount's rubber!

That's what happened to Taylor. Just bend the mount slightly so it's not pushing on the tension rod receiver thing

There's also an option to put the tom on a snare stand.

I know, but I'd rather not for two reasons: One, it takes up more floor space, preventing me from positioning cymbal stands and whatnot, and two, it would costs me more money. I'd rather fix what I have now.

I can't offer any help with your mount cuz I don't have any experience with them. I do however have experience with AND despise Tama's bulky rattling Starcast mounts. I took them off and drilled the shells and put the mounts on the shells where they belong. Guess what? They sound a million times better. No rattles, no buzzing, no more stiff tension rods. The drums tune right up. I threw those things in my basement somewhere. I don't even know where they are and I don't care. I also had a hard time fitting different heads in the hoops due to the Starcast clips being in the way.

Here is something I can help with.

Now you say your Ebony Pinstripes sound dull compared to the Emperor. That really may not have anything to do with the mount. The Pinstripes will sound dull compared to an Emperor. Ebony Pinstripes are a dark sounding and heavier head while the Emperor is a bright sounding head. I'd say use 1 or the other and if your tome mount continues to give you grief, I'd say drill the shell for the tom mount or use a snare stand like Josh said. That would be the safer way to go if you are uneasy about drilling a shell.

I can't offer any help with your mount cuz I don't have any experience with them. I do however have experience with AND despise Tama's bulky rattling Starcast mounts. I took them off and drilled the shells and put the mounts on the shells where they belong. Guess what? They sound a million times better. No rattles, no buzzing, no more stiff tension rods. The drums tune right up. I threw those things in my basement somewhere. I don't even know where they are and I don't care. I also had a hard time fitting different heads in the hoops due to the Starcast clips being in the way.

Here is something I can help with.

Now you say your Ebony Pinstripes sound dull compared to the Emperor. That really may not have anything to do with the mount. The Pinstripes will sound dull compared to an Emperor. Ebony Pinstripes are a dark sounding and heavier head while the Emperor is a bright sounding head. I'd say use 1 or the other and if your tome mount continues to give you grief, I'd say drill the shell for the tom mount or use a snare stand like Josh said. That would be the safer way to go if you are uneasy about drilling a shell.

I understand that the Pinstripe is more muffled and dull compared the Emperor, not because of the mount. I know that.

But what you said is a bit unclear. I definitely do not want to drill it, and I'd rather not use a snare stand. Is there any kind of tom mount that I could buy for a good price? I didn't see any online (only the big tube ones).

Maybe look for a Purecussion Rims mount. Second thought... I don't know if they are available anymore but... I have a new set from Ddrum. There tom mounts are are a knock off of the rims mounts. I'm sure you could get one from through a Ddrum dealer. Check the Ddrum site for a picture of what I am talking about. http://www.ddrum.com/main2.php

Maybe look for a Purecussion Rims mount. Second thought... I don't know if they are available anymore but... I have a new set from Ddrum. There tom mounts are are a knock off of the rims mounts. I'm sure you could get one from through a Ddrum dealer. Check the Ddrum site for a picture of what I am talking about. http://www.ddrum.com/main2.php

http://www.steveweissmusic.com/product/32945/bargain-drum-hardware

Like that?

And would that be all I need? Or would I need some other mounting thing to go with it?

Ultimately, I'd like to find a way to fix my current mount.

Well, they aren't showing a picture and it says it's out of stock. I couldn't find them either. I'd say if you can't get your mount right.. take it to a store and see what they can do or look into the Ddrum mount. Maybe even contact Ddrum yourself if you don't have a dealer nearby.

Well, they aren't showing a picture and it says it's out of stock. I couldn't find them either. I'd say if you can't get your mount right.. take it to a store and see what they can do or look into the Ddrum mount. Maybe even contact Ddrum yourself if you don't have a dealer nearby.

I didn't see the ddrum mount anywhere on their website...

"RIMS" mounts are from Gauger percussion and are now lightweight alloy, they are available as tom mount or as a 3 leg basket...

http://www.gaugerpercussion.com/

does the piece that attaches to the tom arm on your original isolation mount come off, it should and then attach it to the new isolation mount

No. You have to remove the mount off of the one you have now (the part that goes on the tom stand) It is usally on with 2 screws. I'm not familiar with your brand but it should come off. If by some strange chance it doesn't, a mount for the RIMS wouldn't be expensive. A Tama style mount would be perfect but keep in mind the RIMS are made to accept many different mounts. That is what all of those holes are for. All you need to do is simply screw the mount on the RIMS and your set to go. The RIMS mounts aren't cheap but their price is cheaper now than what they were when they first came out back in the 80's. They were standard hardware on DW Drums at one time. I remember paying over $100 for 2 of them for my 12 ans 13 toms.

Back