Jojo Mayer

Re: Jo Jo Mayer

i think jojo is the best for make thing whit stick

Anyone listen to JoJo's work with Grand Pianoramax? I recently became a big fan of Jojo, mostly for his ablitly to play with great technique but still play with great feeling and somewhat musically. I'm not a DnB fan, and I am relatively new to DnB, but I still really appreciate Jojo's work. Anyway, I dl'ed the tracks Starlite and Feudor from iTunes, and they are really great...they showcase a little different sense of his playing, and I would definately recomend them. I think JoJo really fills out this quote by Jack DeJohnette:
"
You need enough technique so you can execute your ideas. But be careful not to acquire too much technique, otherwise it will rule your ideas.​

renmus50 said:
"
You need enough technique so you can execute your ideas. But be careful not to acquire too much technique, otherwise it will rule your ideas.​

Wow, when did he say that? What a great sentiment. Though I would say that Vinnie is an exception.

Jack said that for the April 2006 issue of Modern Drummer...but this thread is about JoJo :)

For all you JoJo fans out there I saw his Nerve live act saturday night, it was such a blast !!! The guys played non stop for one hour without giving the music a break, incorporating all the moods; slow, fast break beat, repetetive loops, more "funk" grooves just awesome.

Unfortunately I didn't take my cam' to take some pics, but JoJo's hand were too fast to capture a pic anyways hahaha

The guy is so humble and plays with so much quality, amazing ! All I can say is "respect" !

Well im going to his performance here in perth on the 20th of june, i'll take it from you guys that its going to be a blast seeing how good Jo Jo mayer is!

well you answered your own question lol, but i'll let you guys know how it went.

Tam said:
well you answered your own question lol, but i'll let you guys know how it went.

It will be cool if you can get some pictures....I regret not having taken my cam'

god JoJo is incredible!!

i mean hes such a showman!and his stuff is really really swish!!

i love the one foot double bass thing he does....an the one handed roll....

he also uses a beautiful kit!!Sonor all the way!!

Just got the old 1998 MD fest on video on this guy was amazing.....

Incredible hands with stick control and some really cool stick tricks too...I actually enjoyed this perfomance more than 2005 - wasn't really diggin his music on the new one.....

Video is a must for all JoJo fans....

I love Jo Jo Mayer. He's one of my favorite drummers of all time. I love the Drum & Bass thing he's doing. He influenced me to get into this music and I'm currently playing Drum & Bass with some friends. It's very fun to play though a little complex when you are getting deeper into this music.

Jojo is also one of my favourite drummer ! My drum teacher knows him well and said to me that he is a nice guy! But on the other hand that he worked as a madman to arrive at this level of playing!

i haven't heard anything quite like the nerve movies on drummerworld. improvised breakbeat, i think. every time i watch a video of him i think "wow, thats cool, why haven't i done that before?"
then i try and the answer is "because it's a helluva lot harder than it looks"
probably my favourite drummer at the moment.

Yah i went to his gig here in Perth and its was amazing, he is very energetic and and a master of techno music, he did some pretty cool stuff thats to hard to explain but it was definetly the best performance i have ever been to, and i also won a little laser light Sonor key chain in the raffle, some lucky guy got a new Sonor snare.

theres a review of the show on the link.

http://www.drum.com.au/reviews/june06.pdf

He's amazing... He's really amazing with his technical flipping etc.

Really fun to watch.

Re: Jo Jo Mayer

Stu_Strib said:
Check out the 1995 cd from Screaming Headless Torsos too.

I was gonna say, "Why hasn't anyone mentioned Screaming Headless Torsos yet?!?!" his playing on the 1995 CD is amazing, I couldn't and still can't stop listening to that CD...Get it if you have the chance!

Back