Unpopular Drumming Opinion Thread

One might think if the mystic was super calloused that they wouldn't be all that fragile...

Who gave you permission to think? From now on... you need permission to think. I mean You need permission to think. (Hint: that another trap genius!)

I guess I should listen to you Larry because when it comes to not thinking you're an acknowledged master.

Thank you, thank you. I'll be here all week. Try the fish, seriously, it's dee-lish...

I also have missed you, though mainly just from reading your comments :) I have to say i agree with a lot of what you say, square sizes deffo rule, double pedals and hi hat all agree, i played a duallist and quite liked it tbh, i just dont agree about beatles but thats why its great, music is 100% personal opinion :) good to have you back

I don't recall you but I am pleased to make your acquaintance. I look forward to more discussions. I have gotten into many heated discussions over my years here and people have uniformly been respectful.

I guess I should listen to you Larry because when it comes to not thinking you're an acknowledged master.

I'm taking this as a compliment. Not thinking is exactly what I strive to do onstage. You can't win with me Jim, you're out classed, out gunned, and out smarted. Thank you for conceding. I accept your surrender unconditionally.

... Not thinking is exactly what I strive to do onstage. You can't win with me Jim, you're out classed, out gunned, and out smarted...

The problem, Larry, is not that you succeed at not thinking on stage. Your band mates attest to this frequently and with much regret and embarrassment. No, the problem is that you are supremely successful at not thinking in every other facet of your life as well. You've turned not thinking into an art form. In that regard you are absolutely correct: I am completely "out gunned" by you because I can't go through an hour, let alone a day, without thinking. You, on the other hand, appear to be entirely controlled by your autonomic nervous system. Thinking is anathema to you.

Seriously, your cognitive skills are so atrophied that I doubt you could pass a Turing test.

The problem, Larry, is not that you succeed at not thinking on stage. Your band mates attest to this frequently and with much regret and embarrassment. No, the problem is that you are supremely successful at not thinking in every other facet of your life as well. You've turned not thinking into an art form. In that regard you are absolutely correct: I am completely "out gunned" by you because I can't go through an hour, let alone a day, without thinking. You, on the other hand, appear to be entirely controlled by your autonomic nervous system. Thinking is anathema to you.

Seriously, your cognitive skills are so atrophied that I doubt you could pass a Turing test.

This has degenerated into a "who can use the longest, or what they think is the cleverest word", contest. Now give it up, or I will get my big brother to come around and tear both of your comics.

This has degenerated into a "who can use the longest, or what they think is the cleverest word", contest. Now give it up, or I will get my big brother to come around and tear both of your comics.

STXBob won that contest long ago.

Besides, my big brother is biggerer than yours.

This morning I was helping a student test the control software for a new recon drone he's building. We managed to fly it quite a long distance, all the way to Pennsylvania as it turns out, when it ran out of fuel. Anyway, to make a long story short, in order to retrieve it we enlisted the help of a local. By a curious coincidence, that person was Uncle Larry. Larry was extremely helpful and his skills as an electrician where most apparent. We had a rather long chat afterwards and my opinion of Uncle Larry has been modified.

Indeed, I will now say without reservation that Uncle Larry is a man whose perspicacity is exceeded only by his erudition.

My knowledge has been embiggened by this cromulent discussion.

Not sure what this means, but I think I agree!! My take on this is settle it like the old western days........Main street at high noon; bring your best drum sticks, dictionaries or whatever and end this nonsense!! What started as mildly amusing for a nano second has really disintegrated into a elementary schoolyard p****** contest. At least back in those days someone got beat up and then it was over!!

Jazz audiences applauding, during a song, after each solo in said song. What is that all about? A song is a song in its entirety. If you enjoy a song or a piece of music you show appreciation, If you didnt you dont. Its seems to point to Jazz being more about the ego of the musicians, and there solo, than playing for the song. It drives me nuts. It breaks the mood of the music to have applause while the song is still going. Humbug.

Jazz audiences applauding, during a song, after each solo in said song. What is that all about? A song is a song in its entirety. If you enjoy a song or a piece of music you show appreciation, If you didnt you dont. Its seems to point to Jazz being more about the ego of the musicians, and there solo, than playing for the song. It drives me nuts. It breaks the mood of the music to have applause while the song is still going. Humbug.

Still on Jazz musicians? Have you ever tried playing it, out of interest?

Late on this thread, seems to be a bunch of OT discussion now, but whatevs.

I don't like double pedals.
I don't like chinas.
I don't like muffled heads except on bass drums (like Pinstripes, Powerstrokes)
I look down on drummers who gig with B8s and ZBTs
I prejudge drummers based on their setup (and I'm right about their skill 99% of the time)
Aside from Gene Hoglan, metal drumming doesn't do anything at all for me
I love playing lots of notes, and using all my drums and cymbals...what others might consider overplaying
I like tuning my snare low

A year ago I would have said that I hated cowbell, but I bought one a few months ago and I actually use it occasionally, its a neat thing to groove on once in a while

The sound of modern Zildjian cymbals is inferior to their product of the 1960s.
Zildjian drumsticks break way too easily.
Paiste is too conservative in their product design.
Remo heads produce lousy sonics. I don't care that they outsell Evans & Aquarian by a factor of 10x. They still suck.
China makes crappy drums, no matter what label is on the shell.

Where I differ from the majority ...

Too much emphasis on metronomic playing as a means to an end and a badge of honour rather than as a musical strategy to make a song sound at its best. The result is more homogeneity, less tastiness and buildups that don't take you "all the way". Emotional accelerando is a hanging offence now, as though we returned to the old anal classical music values, but all those old inconsistent recordings and live performances still sound great. It should depend on the music and the moment.

I like sound of heavily muffled drums that people generally disparage as "cardboard boxes". Lots of definition and no mud. I like open drums too. It depends on the music.

Most musicians lose the desire to experiment in adulthood in the same way as we get our imaginations beaten out of us by corporate machines. What we play should not be dictated by a formula - it should depend on the music.

While hitting the drums really hard is a good effect, it is waaay overused and the result is ear fatigue. Also, drums can sound especially beautiful when played softly and a lot of that charm seems to be lost outside of jazz and world music. Heavy playing should depend on the music and not be a straight up modus operandi.

h172EE46F

Back