Straying out of my comfort zone

What festival? I'll try to make it.

You Tube will immortalize your debut.

What festival? I'll try to make it.

You Tube will immortalize your debut.

I'll be playing in Anaheim Ca.

OK that was a lie. It's Pittsburgh.

That was a lie too. Actually it's in Bethel, NY.

OK that was a lie as well.

It's in Wheeling WV. We go on at 3 AM. At the pavilion near the beach.

+1 headphones. E drums can be disconcerting because the sound comes at you from a speaker rather than ambiently in front of you.

Lar, based on your last two threads it seems you are dipping your toe into the brave new world ... of the 80s :)

Go on at 3Am? What is it, Woodstock?? Don't forget moongel.
No really, when I hear them in drum shops, some e-kits don't sound too bad, but they look so lame on stage. Just nothing aesthetically pleasing about them to me, like playing a mechano set.

Larry, just dress like the Daft Punk guys and you'll be just fine...

tumblr_mm35b87dGz1qmwrnuo1_1280.jpg

... and if anything goes wrong, no one will ever know it was you :)

Go on at 3Am? What is it, Woodstock?? Don't forget moongel.
No really, when I hear them in drum shops, some e-kits don't sound too bad, but they look so lame on stage. Just nothing aesthetically pleasing about them to me, like playing a mechano set.

It's called humor Louis :) I'm not going on at 3 AM. The whole thing was a big fat misdirection. And yea, I do want to be able to muffle the electronic drums, good tip on the moongel. :p

But you're right, I think E drums look lame too. Good thing I'm so darn handsome.

I understand the e-drum component, but maybe you can use an acoustic snare drum and just unplug the one on the ekit for your set. And, bring some roto-toms!

I understand the e-drum component, but maybe you can use an acoustic snare drum and just unplug the one on the ekit for your set. And, bring some roto-toms!

This is an unpaid thing for me, (and the rest of the people I'm playing with) I'm only doing it because I want to play with my guitar guy, and I like festivals. So I'm not lifting a finger other than playing. If it works, great. If things crash and burn....not my fault/issue/responsibility. I mean how can I be embarrassed if something doesn't work? Even if my monitor system fails, I really don't think I need to hear the drums, I would just play by touch and hope for the best. I would still be able to hear it in the PA. Not even worried. Whatever. Alfred E. Neumann attitude...what, me worry?

+1 headphones. E drums can be disconcerting because the sound comes at you from a speaker rather than ambiently in front of you.

Lar, based on your last two threads it seems you are dipping your toe into the brave new world ... of the 80s :)

More like taking a naked body plunge in ice cold water. Hey better late than never. I like to think of it as young at heart, not 30 years behind the times lol. Attitude is everything lol.

But you're right, I think E drums look lame too. Good thing I'm so darn handsome.

Just as the sound of an acoustic instrument depends on the musician, the look of e-drums is dependent on the knowledge of the drummer. I'm afraid you're doomed, Larry. No amount of self delusion can help you.

For headphones, get some good around-the-ear units. I like the Audio Technica ATH50 but any decent isolating model should do. You definitely need at least some isolation or you'll be hearing the thwack and clunk of plastic and rubber all evening.

The sensitivity settings on most e-kits is so low by default that much of an average drummers playing is lost.

I suggest asking if you can interact with the kit before hand....and look at upping the sensitivity settings...otherwise all the ghosts get exorcized from your playing.

Have a great time Larry!

Jim thank you for the reverse psychology approach. I'd also like to thank toddmc and yakbutter for employing the same tact. You guys really have my back, and it will always be remembered lol.

Larry, I'd recommend approaching headphones with the same "straying out of my comfort zone is a good thing" attitude. Anything I don't like or don't do well, I look at as an invitation to get better at and maybe eventually learn to like.

Those things are so stark and small, they make you feel like you're doing interpretive dance behind the band.

I suggest keeping your elbows close to your body because the pads are so small. You'll need to self suppress your instincts.

It's okay though, because it will sound great out in front.

Lar, I can't dispute that reasoning. I would still need one ear off though, but hey I'll do what I need to. I'll be taking a cue from the drummers that go before me. At least I think there are others before me, I'm assuming that.

Wal, I'm with you. They are more like a practice set of pads then drums is how I'm approaching them. It's like I'll be playing along on toys is what I'm expecting.

As far as playing,I figure I'm going for dead simple. I rely on snare dynamics a lot, ghost notes, cymbal swells and splash accents and I don't know how these particular e drums will behave so I'm really gonna dumb it down...at least till I get my bearings. and see how they behave. I'm going early to see how they come across out front and if they are any good at dynamics. One thing I'm concerned about.... I need a cross stick/rim click tone (whatever term you prefer). If I play an electronic snare like a cross stick, does it make a cross stick tone?

It does if you hit the rim softly (whichever way, cross-stick wise or just tap it like your mom would :) ). If you hit it hard it's a rimshot.

Back