A Little Change Makes All the Difference

csnow

Changed my kit - WOW what a difference. Amazing how moving a few toms around can change the entire ergonomics of your kit. I have a large vintage Ludwig kit that although it was a blast to play, I just couldnt sit in the pocket with it from a players standpoint. The smaller toms just felt awkward over the hats. I use the 10" a lot, and having it to the left just felt awkward. I figured it was time to rethink the layout.

I decided to move the 13" over to the left to free up more space on the front rack. With the left side tom, I can do back beats and do nice triplet fills without having to cross arms. I ordered another suspension mount and dropped the 10" on the front rack. This allowed the 6" and 8" to drop right in line with the others. Same kit, but with a little creativity, the kit just flows now. This thing is just phenomenal to play on now.

Before

IMG_2949.jpg

IMG_2951.jpg

IMG_2948.jpg

IMG_2947.jpg

After

IMG_2956.jpg

IMG_2955.jpg

IMG_2954.jpg

IMG_2957.jpg

Vintage Ludwig 3ply Sizes - 6,8,10,12,13,14,16,18, 24
Snare - Supraphonic 6.5x14
Cymbals - Paiste Signature 8,10,16,17,18,19 Hats - 14 Sound Edge Ride - 22 Blue Bell

Yeah that looks comfortable for such a big kit.
Beautiful by the way. I love sky blue pearl.

There's a canyon between your snare and rack toms but wow, what an awesome looking kit!

That's a magnificent kit you got there. It's rare to find a 6" tom on a kit, glad it worked for you :)

That's a magnificent kit you got there. It's rare to find a 6" tom on a kit, glad it worked for you :)

Yeah, the 6" is fine for playing at home, but it would be useless in a live setting unless it was miced. Even after adding the lower head to it, it just has a quick attack and then little to no resonance. If it wouldnt have fit in that little corner, it would have gone to the closet. I am glad it fit because it is a rare and cool little drum.

Back