My Sq2 Drumkit

For that I got some snares:
- 14x05 Sonor Artist Snare (Vintage maple)
- 14x05 Sonor Performer Snare (steel)
- 14x5.5 Sonor Force Snare (steel)
- 14x6.5 Sonor Force 2000 Snare (wood..)
- 13x03 Newsound Wood Snare
- 10x05 Magnum Snare (xD)

I'm curious about your opinion :)

All the Best
David

Hi David. I simpy don't understand the below pro level snares. It seems to me you could sell the beginner level snares for pro level drums. Of course I am a snare freak and only play high end drums. So take my personal obsession into account as it has nothing to do with anyone else. ;)

Hi David. I simpy don't understand the below pro level snares. It seems to me you could sell the beginner level snares for pro level drums. Of course I am a snare freak and only lay high end drums. So take my personal obsession into account as it has nothing to do with anyone else. ;)

Aah ok I got it!!

Haha, of course the lower snares aren't really good.. But I don't bought them...

I got the Performer Snare for free from my old school!
The Force Steel Snare was the snare from my first set (12 years ago)
The Force Wood Snare I got with a Set I bought to put a new veneer on!
The NewSound Snare is from my mothers school! I don't know why I still have it :D
And The 10*5 Magnum Snare was a present 6 years ago, but it sounds pretty cool!

The only Snare I bought was the 14*5 Artist Snare which is of course my best snare!
In the meantime I built my own 12*5 Maple Snare which sounds awesome too!

And I'm a Snare freak as well and there will be some new snares in the next time, but I first wanna get some other essential stuff, like in ears (as I'm getting more into live-jobs in the next time), some recording stuff etc etc...

Now it is in perspective. :)

Your drum kit is really gorgeous. I love Sonor drums because the quality is so high. The sound is so wonderful. And the feel is incredible.

Of course I love other brands such as Ludwig, Tama, Slingerland etc. But there is a singular quality within a Sonor drum shell and the hardware attached. I have played them in the studio alongside other drums and they speak so well to mics. Yamaha also has this quality.

I think your drums are absolutely beautiful. I can imagine their sound. 6 years of planning well played and executed. I tip my hat to you.

Thats a great looking kit mate. Wish i had the money for one. I use the same sizes in my setup. great finish too. have lots of fun playing mate. and like the previous comment....play with pride.
Cheers: martijn

Thanks for your replies guys!!!

On May, 28th I'll be in studio to help out a friend with her song-production (She studies...)

There will be also made a video where you will be able to see me and my set ... I'll share it here =)

Wow, a long time has passed since I posted here..
And I also forgot to share the video of that production (mentioned below) - but it was never finished, so..

Anyway! I changed my setup!

After a few years of playing a large kit now, I thought it was time for a change.
I reduced my drumkit to a kick drum, snare drum and 2 racktoms with a hihat, 2 crashes and a ride cymbal.
I might add a 3rd tom, maybe a racktom, maybe a floortom - not sure about that yet!

Here are some pictures:

attachment.php

attachment.php

These are pictures during the rewiring-session so the room is pretty messy! I will upload some better pictures later.

Also, here's a new picture from my rack with some cool new stuff in it!
There's an Altec-Leansing 8 channel pre-amp and a SPL charisma 8 channel tube processor that Arky borrowed me for a while to check it out!

attachment.php

A lot of youtube-users also requested a guided tour through my homestudio so that will be online soon as well!

Best wishes guys!
David

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    203.1 KB · Views: 366
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    148 KB · Views: 362
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    226 KB · Views: 368
I'm left wondering if your experiences with the little cappuccino bop kit have skewed your outlook David ;)

Kit looks great, studio looks great too. I assume you'll be keeping your 2 piece tom layout for more melodic/fusion work in future?

I'm left wondering if your experiences with the little cappuccino bop kit have skewed your outlook David ;)

Haha, it really did Andy!

Kit looks great, studio looks great too. I assume you'll be keeping your 2 piece tom layout for more melodic/fusion work in future?

Thanks man!

Actually I downsized my kit to practice more pocket playing, timing and stuff like that as I think a big kit distracts from focusing.
But yes, I will keep that 2 piece (or 3-piece) tom layout for fusion stuff :)

I'm not sure whether I'd scale down my drumkit if I had that big of a kit like you, David (at the moment I tend to dream of a few more toms rather than reducing, haha). But I get the idea of doing some changes for variation or focusing on something specific. Did you say pocket playing? You must have super high standards then, your playing always sounds impeccable to me.

I got that Altec-Lansing preamp second hand. The original black chassis has been modded by the previous owner who also installed additional gain pots and made the phantom power of the first 4 channels switchable from the front plate. The SPL Charisma 8 is in orig. condition/unmodified, except for the tubes which I replaced a few years ago. David, thanks for the interesting comparison sound files - there's a noticeable difference between your Mackie preamps and that blue modded 8-channel preamp.

Back