TRAK drums

ledzepjb

Has anyone ever heard of TRAK, I heard that they made drums in the 80s and then around early 90s disapeared because of financial problems. So, are they good quality, does anyone own a TRAK set or does anyone have any info on them???

I see around here they cost 3500 NOK, while a Tama Starclassic costs about ten times that. That says enough about them for me.

-Mofle

I see around here they cost 3500 NOK, while a Tama Starclassic costs about ten times that. That says enough about them for me.

-Mofle

Price is often not what says if a set is good or not, its all in the sound in wich one is looking for. I hope you read this and think about it.

Price is often not what says if a set is good or not, its all in the sound in wich one is looking for. I hope you read this and think about it.

price is a refection of market value. IF something is valued, it follows that it will usually cost more. In our business (drums), instruments that are valued have a great sound, great build quality with great finishes. Drums that lack these qualities are not valued and thus are cheap to buy.

i hope you read this and think about it.

price is a refection of market value. IF something is valued, it follows that it will usually cost more. In our business (drums), instruments that are valued have a great sound, great build quality with great finishes. Drums that lack these qualities are not valued and thus are cheap to buy.

i hope you read this and think about it.

And what if there is a new companie that that comes out and sells for a small amount but sounds amazing?

And what if there is a new companie that that comes out and sells for a small amount but sounds amazing?

well, unless they break the laws of physics, they would need to use materials and production techniques that other companys use -- those materials and techniques (and the experts to work with them) all come at a price. Cheap materials and cheap labor produce bad sounds.

Now it is entirely possible that a company can go into business to lose money -- meaning they hire expert craftsmen, use fantastic materials and apply great finishes and sell it for a cheap price (i.e. less than market value) however it is also entirely unlikely.

My first kit was a Trak.

No, they're not good. You cannot record a CD with them, or even a solid demo. They are useful if you don't have a lot of money, and are starting out. If you have a lot of experience with drums, then you could maybe make them sound good, but they're pretty much ply wood and glue.

Therefore, the Trak kit is what most people would call an entry level kit. Again, it can get the job done, but do not expect it to sound that good.

thinkintriplets.

Only when you play it Elvis! *burrrrrnn*

lol

Well... what can ya do ya know... the sparkles are blinding!

PS: My next build you'll love... House of Kolor metallic white with a red candy red stripe.. then a layer of ice pearl and clear.. she'll be SHINY

Dont know much about drum construction do you? What do you think they mean when the say 3ply shells?

Hmmm... not much. Depends on the company, and the wood. However, as a general rule, in terms of loudness, a 3 ply shell would be less loud than that of a a 6 ply.
Is that satisfactory for you? Or should I delve into how different woods are cut differently????

Anyways, my point is that the plywood isn't of a particular wood in general. Maybe that's where the confusion lies.

Trak drums are not made of a specific type of wood, or combination of. They're kinda of random, and don't sound that good.

thinkintriplets.

Hint: Don't come in here acting like you know what you're talking about when you clearly don't.

I've seen 3 ply drums that are thicker than some 6 ply drums. So... I'm going with the guy that said you don't know much about how they're made. =) Also... "ply wood" just implies that it is layers of wood glued together. In the case of drums it's not just random wood. For instance... on my snare drum it's "ply wood" made up of all rock maple.

Hmmm... not much. Depends on the company, and the wood. However, as a general rule, in terms of loudness, a 3 ply shell would be less loud than that of a a 6 ply.
Is that satisfactory for you? Or should I delve into how different woods are cut differently????

Anyways, my point is that the plywood isn't of a particular wood in general. Maybe that's where the confusion lies.

Trak drums are not made of a specific type of wood, or combination of. They're kinda of random, and don't sound that good.

thinkintriplets.

No its not satisfactory to me. I think Crazyhorse summed up my feelings eliquently.

I guess I can see how you drum guru's are bashing me. And I apologize if I offended you.

However, insults, and trying to put someone on the spot isn't truly something that mature person would do. I mean, what's the point? I think it's a general question many people have. And for those of you that are interested in a possible explanation (because there are several), I will provide an explanation that fits well to the theme of these past posts.

It's called a Downward Social Comparison.

See, if someone has a low self-esteem and are successful in something, they begin to take advantage of the situation by making negative comparisons about others that are generally O.K. to make fun of in the population (i.e. - in the case of internet web forums (population), people who do not know anything, yet still give advice are frowned upon (the "others")) in order to make themselves feel better.
For example, in this case one may say,”Wow! This guy is a total loser! I know everything about drum construction and this guy doesn't and is trying to give advice?! What a poser! Let's see if I can make a fool of him, and make myself look smart to all of the others on this board!”

However, if you had a high self-esteem, you would not take advantage of the situation basically due to the fact that as a result of having a high self-esteem, there is no need to make someone feel bad in order to make themselves feel better. Therefore, one may have simply posted a message possibly to try to clarify what I tried to say.
For example, "Hey Triplets, are you sure you meant plywood? Because all drums are made of plywood. Maybe there's another term you’re looking for?"

Although there are other factors involved, there is Downward Social Comparison here at work. Even after I reasonably try to answer your question (you avoided specific words of my answer i.e. - means nothing) you criticize me, hence making yourselves feel better by bashing others that are O.K. to bash (i.e. - one that claims to know everything but does not).

If anyone is looking for more explanations, please feel free to pm me. I know much about Personality research as a result of being in my final semester of a Specialization in Psychology Baccalaureate; the Specialization being in Personality, Motivation, and Human Development.

Anyways, I see nothing here that has helped ledzepjb who was interested in whether or not the Trak kit was a good one. Indeed, you guys have become so concerned in bashing me, you have totally forgotten about the point of the thread... to help a fellow drummer.

So please, if you feel as though I have no knowledge (even though I do own a Trak Kit), maybe it would be a good idea to share yours and help ledzepjb.

thinkintriplets.

No need to pull out the psyhco babel. We just told you you were wrong and you couldnt accept that. You had to try and talk down to people (ie psycho babel) with the hopes of everyone going "Ooooh look how smart he is. He sure made those other guys look dumb" to make yourself feel accepted. Me on the other hand I dont need the mass' acceptance to feel good about myself. I am confident enough in my knowledge and abilities in drumming and life to be able to accept when Im wrong or said something stupid.

So who has the self-esteem problem?

PS your Profs should have told you to never jump to conclusions about someone and especially dont publish said conclusions until you are sure about them. Its a great way to avoid the dreaded "Os Voros Ped" disease. Dont threat thow there is a cure a dosage of Corvus, will cure it in no time.

Last edited:
Back