Is it OK to talk about the movie "Whiplash" yet?

I thought that this was a really inspiring film for someone like myself that has only been playing a short while. It certainly made me practice the next day!

I'm not a big fan of movies about masochists.

Last edited:
I love 50 shades if grey. And I'm only 12. Is that bad? It kind of makes me curious and happy

I'm guessing 50 Shades won't be your bag then.

Well... there's the fun stuff, and then there's just plain abusive creeps, and losers who think they're proving how tough they are by putting up with the abuse.

You see this in the workplace where a manager is just plain abusive and certain employees side with the manager, telling their coworkers they need to "toughen up".

I'll never figure out how being too cowardly to stand up to a bully makes a person "tough". It's a weird, pseudo macho thing.

Last edited:
I love 50 shades if grey. And I'm only 12. Is that bad? It kind of makes me curious and happy

Yes it is bad.

I hope you don't learn how to treat other people from what you see in the movies.
And I hope you don't develop your own personal moral code by what you see on TV and in the movies.

50 Shades is a real turd. I deeply regret being talked into going.

Upon reflection, I think the ending ruined the whole movie. It could have been a good movie, but it ends by saying that a hideously abusive teacher is justified, because humiliation and abuse are the only way to get the most out of a gifted student.

It's a very negative message, and very outdated. These days, we see it as a student's moral obligation to report abuse. We see it as courage when someone stands up to a bully, not when they soak up abuse like a sponge in an effort to show how tough they are.

Finally saw this over this weekend on Starz. I thought it was a good movie but although its based around a drummer, it definitely wasn't "about" drumming.

I liked the first time i watched it. Now it think of it as a mix of "Karate Kid" and "An Officer and a Gentleman", just replace Debra Winger with a drumkit.

You would probably enjoy Caligula as well.

Should we assume that was facetious?

One movie is about an alternative sexual lifestyle that in reality should involve consent to a greater degree than it depicts. But it's still a choice.

Granted it's been 20 years since I saw it, but my recollection is that the other movie contains graphic torture, rape, and mutilation/murder scenes.

They don't seem comparable.

"Oh you play drums? have you seen Whiplash?"

"Hey, could you teach me how to play some of that Caravan stuff from Whiplash?"

"Has your drum teacher ever gone crazy on you and broken your drums?"

"How amazing is it that an actor managed to play drums at the professional level for a movie? Are you as good as him?"

"You really need to go see Whiplash"

"How many times have you watched Whiplash?"

This movie has ruined my will to live. Not really, but I do find the hype to be quite irksome.

Of course it was facetious.

In TW's defense, it's often difficult when people are playing that card. For example, when my wife called me last week to tell me her tire was low on air, I asked if it was low or flat. The response was "Well, it's only flat on the bottom".

I guess the point is... Sometimes its hard to tell whether someone is serious or simply pulling your leg.

Back