Joined the Tama Family

dpf

The first picture is of the old set an early 80’s Pearl Export.
The new set is a Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive. Toms are 10x6.5, 12x7, 14x12, and 16x14. I went with the 22x18 bass drum and the 14x6 matching snare. Side snare is a 13x3 maple Mapex . Cymbals are: Zildjian 8” A, 10” A custom, 12’”A custom, 14” A high hats (vintage), 16” A crash (vintage), 16” Ludwig/Paiste Crash (vintage), 10” & 12” Sabian splashes stacked and a 12” Wuhan China. So far the drums have been great. The hardware is solid and the adjustability of the set up is what I was looking for. The sound of the set is also amazing. I swapped out the stock heads with some Evans g1’s and an EMAD on the Bass. Reso. heads are the same

Attachments

• old drums.JPG
    old drums.JPG
    187.8 KB · Views: 454
  • new drums5.JPG
    new drums5.JPG
    180.5 KB · Views: 447
  • new drums4.JPG
    new drums4.JPG
    145.7 KB · Views: 447
  • new drums3.JPG
    new drums3.JPG
    216.7 KB · Views: 448
  • new drums2.JPG
    new drums2.JPG
    199.8 KB · Views: 455
  • new drums1.JPG
    new drums1.JPG
    159.9 KB · Views: 452
  • new drums.JPG
    new drums.JPG
    191 KB · Views: 455
Welcome to the Tama family dpf. You can't go wrong with Tama they make great drums that are built to last. Have fun with your new kit.

The new set looks spectacular! I bet it plays just as well!

Love the kit mate. I've always had a soft spot for Tama and the Hyperdrive range :) the setup of the Export looks really uncomfortable though?

I agree my first that was that look so much more comfortable to play on!
It looks like you were really taking Gary Chesters' "terretorial rights" ideology to heart, if so right on, but still looks uncomfortable to me.

sweeet, wish they had that finish when i bought mine.

How do the G1's sound on the toms, I'm about to do the same.
Did you swap out the Tom Reso's aswell?

Thanks for the comments everyone. The exports were not as uncomfortable as they looked but the upgrade has been a dream. NIMBY the G1’s sound great but I would probably go with a two ply head next time. But the G1’s were free so you can’t beat that. I left the stock reso. heads on for now.

How does everything compare to your old kit? This is on my list for buying in 2009 ;)

I'm dying! I need this kit.

Beautiful drums man. Rare finish too am I right? I mean i've seen it on their normal efx kits but never on a hyperdrive.
It looks like you might have a 22x20 kick.. not sure. No muffling is wicked too. Anyways, welcome bro!

Joshisaces: there is no comparison between the twenty+ year old Pearl Exports and the brand new Tamas. I liked the sound of the Exports but they were a Bi#@h to tune and never held it once I got it. Also because of the sizes of the toms I could never get it set up the way I really wanted. With the shorter toms the Hyper-drive is so adjustable. I’m shorter and I like stuff low and in front of me. The Tamas tune up so easily and have a nice range. I’ve only had them a week but I have no regrets and don’t see any coming. I’m glad that I traded in the Exports.

Infernal Valkyrie: the bass is actually 22x18 and the EMAD does give some muffling. Not sure if it’s a rare finish or not I can’t find much information about it. It’s a classic copper sparkle/glitter something or other. I’m not normally a fan of sparkle/glitter finishes but this looked so good under the stage lights they had on it and the brushed nickel hardware just set it off.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments so far. I took a couple pics of the 16x14 floor tom in the sun to try and show how nice the finish looks, but it still does not do it justice. Here they are:

Attachments

• tom in the sun.JPG
    tom in the sun.JPG
    138.3 KB · Views: 224
  • tom in the sun1.JPG
    tom in the sun1.JPG
    193.3 KB · Views: 222
  • tom in the sun2.JPG
    tom in the sun2.JPG
    191.8 KB · Views: 220
  • tom in the sun3.JPG
    tom in the sun3.JPG
    222.7 KB · Views: 220
LOVE the new kit. I really like the shallow depth of the mounted toms, it reminds me of Jose Pasilla's (Incubus) DW's. Congrats on the new beauties..!

Back