NEW DRUMSET! Weee! DW Collector's Exotic

Knowbuddy

Hi there guys,

I've been discussing for a couple months over in the Gear forum with some guys about how I can buy a new drumset. After a few months of saving, a little help from mom (LOVE YOU MOM!) and a quick search of my local drum shops, I found these puppies!

Keep in mind, I've been playing drums for a bout 14 years on and off, and I've ONLY owned ONE drum set (an OLD, battered, discontinued Pearl World Series). I have waited and waited for a new set with new hardware, and I FINALLY earned it.

So anyway, I upgraded to this kit from a World Series with cymbal stands literally TAPED to tom stands!

Enjoy!

Okay boys (and girls!!!),

Here she is!

DW Collector's Series Exotic - Koa

22" Kick
10" FAST Tom
12" FAST Tom
14" Standard Tom

20" Zildjian Medium Ride
13" Zildjian Hybrid Hats
17" Meinl Byzance Crash
18" Meinl Byzance Dark Crash

DW 5000 Kick Pedal
Iron Cobra Hat Stand

Enjoy the pics! :D

Thanks a lot for all of your input and encouragement. THANKS GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Front.jpg

FromSidfe.jpg

Another.jpg

Fixin.jpg

OverheadDriversSeat.jpg

Kissy.jpg

I'm so glad I get to reply to this first!

Amazing kit man! I'm excited for you.

She's not too hard on the eyes.
How is it sounding?

Well, compared to my old set, it's like butter.

I haven't even had a chance to tune the toms up (and I really suck at tuning), so after playing with them for a few, and getting the heads on them that I really want, I think they'll sound even better.

I really have no complaints though, ESPECIALLY considering the kit I upgraded from.

I am going to set the old one back up and take before and after pictures, lol.

~B

I LOVE that natural finish. Congrats on the kit, I was following your old thread about getting money, and I'm glad it came to a happy ending!

One suggestion: The kit would be more aesthetically pleasing if you made the toms more flat...a DW kit as nice as that doesn't deserve even a minor craigslist-eque look.

Yeah, I know... the angles. Ha.

Well, like I said, I have no idea what the heck to do with this drum set. I'm still having a hard time accepting that it's really mine. I have a lot of toying around to do, because now I can put everything EXACTLY where I want it, instead of learning to play with things where I don't like them because they won't go where I want them (crappy hardware).

I'm gonna try your suggestion though and raise my seat up a little (so I can reach the toms if they're flat (lol I'm a dwarven drummer - DWARVEN DRUMMERS UNITE!)), because looks wise, the toms are bothering me too, and I couldn't put my finger on why, and I think you just did.

~B

Last edited:
Yeah, I know... the angles. Ha.

Well, like I said, I have no idea what the heck to do with this drum set. I'm still having a hard time accepting that it's really mine. I have a lot of toying around to do, because now I can put everything EXACTLY where I want it, instead of learning to play with things where I don't like them because they won't go where I want them (crappy hardware).

I'm gonna try your suggestion though and raise my seat up a little (so I can reach the toms if they're flat (lol I'm a dwarven drummer - DWARVEN DRUMMERS UNITE!)), because looks wise, the toms are bothering me too, and I couldn't put my finger on why, and I think you just did.

~B

Yeah, and it looks like there's a lot of room between the toms. It's all personal preference, but I think you might like it better if the toms were as low to the bass drum as possible without touching, and fairly close together.

I love the overall look of that kit. I really like the art deco lugs. Beautiful Man!

that is a wicked lookin' kit, congrats!!

good to see its not being neglected (hehe)

-Jonathan

805: You're right! I flattened the toms out, and lowered them a bit, raised my seat and my snare, and I think - not only does it LOOK better, I think I like the feel better too.

Thanks for the suggestion!

~B

Beautiful kit! I love natural finish kits and yours is just killer. Hows the Koa sound? All I've heard is that it sounds great heh, but I've never gotten a chance to hear a Koa kit let alone play one. Hows does the sound differ from typical birch/maple?

Well, the shells themselves are Maple on the inside... It's just a Koa finish. However, they really just sound amazing. I've finally got the toms close to being perfectly tuned (having a lot of trouble getting the middle one where I want it), and they have a really "bouncy" sound with a LOT of resonance.

~B

Nothing screams "quality" like the Camco/DW gun-turret lugs. You can see 'em from the back row of Madison Square Garden. Great finish, cool batch of cymbals to go along with it.

Beautiful kit...and you have a really nice mom, too!

So, given the comments about tom angles here's something from another thread I posted, hope it helps

When I first started drum set lessons, my teacher told me that I should keep the angle of the stick relative to the head the same for all of the drums. So I get my snare in a comfortable position and then see what is the angle between the sticks and head when the tip of the stick just touches the head. Then I try to replicate the same angle of attack on each tom, floor and rack. When I reach up to hit the rack toms, the act of reaching up and forward makes it so I need to angle the toms. I end up with the rack toms slightly angled and the floor toms flat (I tend to adjust these up or down rather than tilt them) in order to maintain the same stroke/angle of attack across the kit.

Consistency with the angle of attack across the kit is supposed to help with stick control and making it easier to get the best stroke and sound, and better control of dynamics, rebound, etc.

805: You're right! I flattened the toms out, and lowered them a bit, raised my seat and my snare, and I think - not only does it LOOK better, I think I like the feel better too.

Thanks for the suggestion!

~B

*whispers "this is when you post pictures"*

Back