Snare - Any size really 13" to 14" by 5.5" to 6"

No bass mount.
A Rod Mouting system.
Less than £900
I play rock
No hardware
No Cymbals

Ok so the kits im looking at are:

Tama SuperStar HyperDrive - 20"x22" Bass drum, 6.5"x10" Tom, 7"x12" Tom, 14"x16" Floor tom, 6"x13" Snare Drum. £899

Sonor 3007 - Bass Drum 22"x20", Snare Drum 14"x6", Tom 12"x8", Floor Tom 16"x16".
£500

Ddrum Defiant - 18" x 20" Bass Drum, 5.5"x14" Snare, 8"x12" Tom, 13"x14" Floor Tom.
£550

I Think im going to forget the Tama as its soo expensive in comparison.The Ddrum i fell in love with at my local drum shop. I'm really stuck with this and REALY NEED SOME GOOD ADVICE! i would REALLY would like a 13" Snare, so if i got the Sonor or the Ddrum i could possibly get a custom snare from SJC, OCDP or Truth as they are much cheeper

I hope you can help!

Calum

I hope you can help.

Don't know much about the ddrum model.

Unless ddrum is spectacular, I'd go with the Sonor kit and get a nice custom snare.

Dont forget about the Gretsch catalina club mod, it fits the sizes you want, with a virgin bass drum and rod mounted tom. The Ddrum Defiant is a great kit too, sounds really good. No matter what you buy, my advice would be to choose a kit you like, and spend a little extra on a good snare.. This is just an opinion of course. Good luck!

Forgot to mention, I'm not saying you shouldnt choose the sonor or tama, personally I dont care for the lower end sonor kits, and I have no experience with a tama hyperdrive kit.

They don't sell the Ddrum Defiant over here in the states in that configuration. I'd go with the Ddrum of the Tama.

Yeah not much experience in the Ddrum area. Sonor sounds good n' reliable. then you have £400 to spend on the snare

This is really going to be up to your ears. You owe it to yourself to get out there and play a few kits in your price range and se what sounds best to you.
I had a Club mod for a short period of time and was impressed with the sound!
The CM is in the process (so I hear) of being disco'd and musiciansfriend.com has the Tatoo finish shelly for $399. What is gonna matter most is sound and build..Go play some drums!

This is really going to be up to your ears. You owe it to yourself to get out there and play a few kits in your price range and se what sounds best to you.
I had a Club mod for a short period of time and was impressed with the sound!
The CM is in the process (so I hear) of being disco'd and musiciansfriend.com has the Tatoo finish shelly for $399. What is gonna matter most is sound and build..Go play some drums!

Erm yeah we don't have MusiciansFriend in the UK mate!

Some good advice there guys :) Thanks

Im not going to go with the Tama as its just too expensive for what u get. its just between the sonor and the Ddrum. Man its soo hard when u havent herd/played the kits. Im going to go to my drum shop and play the Ddrum and then the sonor. The thing is i would have to trade my old ( current) kit in so i would lose the snare stand, pedel and hat stand so i would have to buy those again, unless i could just not give them. A custom snare would be amazing but does anyone no the shipping costs from the us from SJC or OCDP?

calum

Dont forget about the Gretsch catalina club mod, it fits the sizes you want, with a virgin bass drum and rod mounted tom. The Ddrum Defiant is a great kit too, sounds really good. No matter what you buy, my advice would be to choose a kit you like, and spend a little extra on a good snare.. This is just an opinion of course. Good luck!

Forgot to mention, I'm not saying you shouldnt choose the sonor or tama, personally I dont care for the lower end sonor kits, and I have no experience with a tama hyperdrive kit.

Meh everyone has the catalina club mod! + i dont like the finishes :) there is a Reown Maple in my drum shop for £850 so i would get that and not a custom snare.

Thanks

Calum

At this price range, they'll all sound the same. Not tonally but none of those kits will be perfect. All it really comes down to is who offers the coolest finishes, because on these drums the head makes the drum. With the correct tuning and heads it can sound like a pro kit.

this is just my opinion, but if you're trading your current drums in.. Keep your hardware, all of it. They will give you next to nothing for the stands seeing how its in their best intrests to sell brand new stands at the time they sell your kit. You'll spend more replacing the stands you used to have meanwhile they probably won't give you more than 20 quid.

At this price range, they'll all sound the same. Not tonally but none of those kits will be perfect. All it really comes down to is who offers the coolest finishes, because on these drums the head makes the drum. With the correct tuning and heads it can sound like a pro kit.

this is just my opinion, but if you're trading your current drums in.. Keep your hardware, all of it. They will give you next to nothing for the stands seeing how its in their best intrests to sell brand new stands at the time they sell your kit. You'll spend more replacing the stands you used to have meanwhile they probably won't give you more than 20 quid.

Yeah, so i will go with either the Sonor or the Ddrum. The Sonor has maple shells and the Ddrum has Brasswood shells so which is better?

Some good advice there guys :) Thanks

Im not going to go with the Tama as its just too expensive for what u get. its just between the sonor and the Ddrum. Man its soo hard when u havent herd/played the kits. Im going to go to my drum shop and play the Ddrum and then the sonor. The thing is i would have to trade my old ( current) kit in so i would lose the snare stand, pedel and hat stand so i would have to buy those again, unless i could just not give them. A custom snare would be amazing but does anyone no the shipping costs from the us from SJC or OCDP?

calum

You could try a homegrown custom brand such as highwood www.highwooddrums.co.uk who make steambent snares for about £400 (cheaper for a 13") which is hugely good value plus you're supporting the UK economy! Compare that to SJC or OCDP where you get a normal ply keller shelled snare drum for about the same money and you have to wait for the shipping, not to mention customs and VAT charges which you'll have to take into account.

Btw i would say that maple is generally considered to be the superior sounding of the 2 woods (BASSwood it's called btw) but i know some people like it. Plus it's lighter.

More tonal qualities with the maple. Judging by the high end Sonors, Delite, S classix, I would guess the force series is slightly better than ddrum. Ddrums sound ok but their big selling point is the looks.

Btw i would say that maple is generally considered to be the superior sounding of the 2 woods (BASSwood it's called btw) but i know some people like it. Plus it's lighter.

Ok so i should go with the Sonor technically as it is better wood, but practically i may like the Ddrum feel/sound more.

After looking at the Highwood Website i may scrap with Sonor or the Ddrum idea as i could get a fully custom kit from them in the exact sizes i want for the same price. i was looking at there " Custom Lite" and it looks perfect. what do you think to that idea?

If I were you I'd buy a used kit.

If you wouldn't want used I'd definately go for a Highwood. Those drums will be far superior to the Ddrum, Tama and Sonor.

If you wouldn't want a highwood (you'd be mad ;)) I'd go for the Sonor. They are very nice kits, especially for only that kind of money.

How could you say the Highwoods are better than the Sonors? They are both top notch, sure, but Sonor has had far more experience with that quality?

Back